Do you save Fanfiction to your hard drive?

Post any fanfiction related polls here

Do You save fan-fiction to your hard drive?

Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - If I think I'll read it again
20%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - but only for offline reading
9%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
Yes - not only do I save it but I've even printed some out
11%
No - I only read online
9%
No - I only read online
9%
What's Fanfiction?
1%
What's Fanfiction?
1%

Total votes : 148

Of course I do

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:46 pm

I have hundreds of Fic of the series I like, I have printed out several of them, and made CD backups of the fics I have.
Some of the fics I've kept I despise, but I enjoy the creativity, and as others have said, too often these are there and gone.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm

I currently have three fics saved to my drive:
Children of an Elder God, the story I like better than the Anime
Mirrors Multiplied, My inspiration for even writing FanFic
Frozen, by Chendzeea Li a Final Fantasy 8 fanfic that I recommend to everyone which has it's home at:
http://www.fan-fics-r-us.com/chendzeea.htm
It is quite simply one of the best Yuri fics I've ever read.
One of these days If krista Perry ever finishes it (haven't checked recently) I'll probably add Hearts of Ice.
I also might add that while i do not have them saved, there are numerous other fics that I do read, and my goal is to beat both Shampoo1/2 and Nabiki 1/2 for longest fanfic... and I mean to be one of the finished ones too.
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Neko- » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:31 pm

HoI hasn't been updated in ages... Krista in the mean time married, became a mother, was involved in a traffic accident. LiveJournal speaks volumes.
IF it ever gets finished, I'm guessing it'll not be in the near future.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby A.Nonymous » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:34 am

Neko- wrote:HoI hasn't been updated in ages... Krista in the mean time married, became a mother, was involved in a traffic accident. LiveJournal speaks volumes.
IF it ever gets finished, I'm guessing it'll not be in the near future.

On ffml she claimed she was going to get back to it in the near future...I'm not sure anyone believed her.
On the Poll side:
I save fics to disk and then re-format them because some authors have their heads well lodged in regards to formmatting. And if I'm going to read it, I want it formatted the way I want it formatted... There are ways to format a fic, and one giant paragraph isn't one of them.
A.Nonymous
Senshi Cadet

Postby Materia-Blade » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm so glad to be in good company. Heh. I'm not the only one who reads so much!
I can't put any defenition to how much I've read. I've plowed through the media miner archive, ff.net archive, rahkals penultimate index, and the "Index of Public anime fanfictions/Ranma"
I can't but a gig or meg number to that or anything but I know it's alot. Plus Nowadays I generally won't read any story with less than fifteen thousand words. Unless they show promise or something.
I find that I'm losing intrest in Ranma 1/2 as time goes by. My first day of college was yesterday. I've reached chapter seven on my original book which will hopefully be finished by chapter twelve or so. And well... I feel there is nothing new coming out. It's kinda saddening. I'll finish my fic (if anything, for the sake of being the only person to say I completed a wheel of time crossover! Ha ha!) But I just feel that there are so rarely good fanfics out there.
Eldritch Asylum seems dead or at least nullified until further notice.
Happily Married Ended.
Aftermath Ended.
Lines of Destiny is dead.
Hearts of Ice is Dead.
Permanent is Dead.
"A Not So Simple Wish" hasn't beein continued in years but it should have been as it was one of the best ideas... well... ever.
I'm pretty sure "Couch Trips" by Sarge finally wrapped itself up.
Proteus, One of the best writers I've remember seeing on FF.net stopped writting on the only good "Kenshin" crossover I've ever seen.
The only good DBZ cross... the one by.. Michael Fetter I think? Well yeah it's dead.
Nickolas Liefker no longer writes anything.
I don't think Jeffery "Oneshot" Wong(or any of his accociates and fellow writers) have written on Just Won't Die in ages.
Currently Ozzallos is about the only person who has my eye. Theres another fic on FF.net called "Worlds Fall Apart" That has a nifty little bit of originality and good plot and good writing. But other than that...
Well, sadness.
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:27 am

It's sad but true... Most interesting stories that one would like to see continued are either dead or on indefinite hiatus.
Add to that that the stories that were finished mostly resulted in the author not returning to grace our imagination with new findings.
I for one must admit that I somehow haven't taken too much time to read fanfiction lately, but am trying to keep the stories on HDD up-to-date. So that when I find the will to read such a piece of creativity again, I'll have something to actually read :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Materia-Blade » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:14 am

All this talk about no new fics an I go and find one. Unfortunately it's by an old Author. The second DBZ cross I've ever read that was good.
Savior By Michael Fetter. The problem is it's by the same guy who wrote the only OTHER good DBZ cross out there! He didn't finish either of them dangit!!! ARG!
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Postby dogbertcarroll » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 pm

I download websites and turn them into help files so I can page through them when I want to.
--------------------
I was given the choice between sanity and creativity.

I chose waffles.

-dogbertcarroll

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/284419/
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/a ... rroll.html
dogbertcarroll
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I save my favourite fanfics.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:25 pm

I've never saved fanfics I've read to my hard drive.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:34 pm

Our Internet PC at home is a multi-user computer, so I often save stuff I read to a flash drive and take it to my own PC for reading later. If I don't like it, I delete it, although I usually keep what I save. Other times I'll just delete entire sections of what I don't like and keep the rest.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm

I save fics to my hard drive. Why take chances with bit-rot? And the ones I really like, I print out and bind.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby claymade » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm

There is exactly one fanfic that I've liked enough to deliberately save for future reference, and that is the jaw-droppingly good "The Saotome Gambit" by J. Austin Wilde.

This is partially because there is no active site with the full version anymore (except for a poorly formatted copy someone archived to ff.net for posterity). You've got to use the Internet Wayback Machine to get the original .txt versions, insofar as I can see.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041015073340/www.gci-net.com/users/w/wildeman/jamie.htm
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Vilkath » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:10 am

Yup I save some mostly my favorite ones to reread ofline but also to save them incase the author throws a fit about some flame and removes them all at some point.

They really don't take much space even the 500k word stories, so really it's not hard to save them. Infact it's rather hard find enough good ones saved to fill up an entire burnable CD with.

I almost always save stories I find in forums or random personal webpages, because you never know how long those will last or when the page or forum might be purged. More mainstream fanfiction web site's like FF.net or mediaminer can be reasonbly counted on to remain there unless the author themself removes it.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:01 pm

It's always a good idea to save your fics. Take Trugeta's 'Raiju' for example. It's a good fic and had a lot of success, but as Trugeta got fed up with the fail that Naruto has become he has deleted the fic two days ago.

And there's an anime addventure episode I saved per chance (and I simply love that one) that got deleted a few hours later. I don't think there are many people who have it.

And that's for example one fic you can't count on the wayback machine to recover. For those who want to know, the name of the addventure was 'Orichalcum Valkyrie Ranma Champion of the 3rd of the 7 Cities of Heaven' by nekomata.sensei

I hope that this post here will incite him to continue working on that fine fic. He hasn't replied to my private messages and I'd even agree to be his prereader.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Polls