annoying and distract from story
2%
hate them all the words should be in english
1%
hate them all the words should be in english
1%

Total votes : 138

Postby Valkyrie Ice » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:03 am

Personally, I tend to use japanese for a proper names, a small sprinkle of terms and phrases, and nothing else. I will use the Japanese name for any character, but I will use western name order for japanese characters versus eastern name order for those from china to differentiate the two cultures.
I.e Ranma Saotome v.s Song Zhu Shu
beyond that, I will note in story that a character has USED a japanese word, but rarely do I put it in text. Overuse of familial names such as the japanese for father, mother, sister,etc. is rather pointless, and disrupts the flow.
I will also use the Chinese equivallent of such names as Ke Lun, Shan Pu, Lo Shen, etc and use the slurred forms for those Japanese who would hear it slightly different. (Kodachi calls Mu Si, Mousse for example.)
It depends entirely on what kind of story you want. do you want one that reads well, or is japanese centric? I find the more japanese, the less smoothly it reads.
Val
Valkyrie Ice
Asteroid Senshi

Postby some1x » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:39 am

Slight overuse of Japanese is not a deal breaker; if the fic is good otherwise, I can let it slide. I mean, fanfic authors' "abuse" of Japanese has nothing on Engrish :D.
some1x
Initiate

Postby Seraphim » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:38 pm

lwf58 wrote:What Bjorn said.
As the old saying goes, is it right to jump off a cliff just because everyone else does it?
The only time Japanese should be used in English-language fan fiction is when there is no term in English that can get the point across. Some examples of those are honorifics, technique names, foods, and words that have no English equivalent. Some of those words are ones like:
Engawa (The combination porch-hallway that runs beside the Tendo's family room and overlooks the koi pond.)
Koi (Koi aren't just "goldfish".)
Shoji (Sliding doors, yes, but shoji are constructed of materials not used in the west.)
Okonomiyaki (As I noted in the fanfiction vs. manga thread, okonomiyaki are not pizza or pancakes. There's no food like okonomiyaki in the west.)
On the other hand, there are many Japanese words that are used in fan fiction that shouldn't be because there is a perfectly good English word that can be. There is nothing at all wrong with "Ranma, you jerk!"

Nakama and hitsuzen could be put in that catagory as well.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ordieth117 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:47 pm

If it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story, I have no problems using the stories I read as pseudo Japanese lessons. When the author pays a painful amount of attention to using Japanese speech and English everything else, it gets annoying. Simple words or phrases that aren't drawn attention to certainly don't bug me. Mixing things up makes for easier reading.
Things that are okay to me:
"Tadaimasu" instead of "I'm home"
"Gomen" etc. instead of "I'm sorry"
"Onegai" instead of "please"
"Hai"
"ohayo" etc
Like I said, as long as the author isn't beating it into my head, I'm fine seeing these words. Especially helpful are when the author puts in a glossary indicating how they intended the words to be translated.
But when the author does something like:
Michiru bowed over and over again, rubbing her head and begging for forgiveness. "Gomen, gomen, I'm so sorry! Gomen nasai."
Pick a language to say the -one- thing in.
Ranma entered though to door, surprised at the quiet. "Tadaimasu!" Silence answered his cry. "Where is everyone?"
Much better in my opinion.
Ordieth117
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Polls