Rama 1/2: a japanese story

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Re: Rama 1/2: a japanese story

Postby Mr L » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Yes, but I was talking about Ranma fanfics that tried to introduce social realism and failed, not about the original work.
Mr L
Senshi Candidate

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:29 am

If you don't actually live in Nerima, you'll have a bear of a time writing realistically about Neriman life.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:44 am

Nerima is an average Suburban area in the north west of Tokyo with semi fameous out door market streets that have a majority of food booths. But the real Nerima you might as well watch Whisper of the Heart from Miyazaki but that is in a different part of the Tokyo area further south. More built up barely.

If you want true to the real life neighborhoods its never going to work without throwing away everything about Ranma 1/2.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am

When it comes to any fiction -- the fanfic writer probably doesn't know enough to write a story completely true to the locale. And the original writer doesn't want to be completely true to a certain place and time. Reality is. Fiction is reality distilled down, with a story layered upon it. Certain aspects of reality aren't part of the story, and can be ignored or even contradicted in service to the tale.

Besides, reality is a moving target. I know an author who sets a mystery series in a certain small town. When the series started, she was doing a decent job of representing that town on paper. Places become characters in the storyline and are preserved, even though the real-place-in-the-town went out of business and was turned into a sushi bar. Places change, people change, societies change.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Fic Search