The Queen of Fukufics

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Postby Bliss » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Hmmm I s'pose we can wait for Larry's input.... I rather like the Suggestions idea... I'm sure we can somehow condense it if necessary ne?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:14 am

For the next election, we have settled on having three new titles. It's not out of the question that there could be more; I did set an ultimate limit of 9 as the theoretical maximum. But for the foreseeable future, 6 will actually be permitted. That's been cleared with Sunny. That is, MQ, 2 MCAs, and the three we are discussing now.
"Helpful to new members" is a good qualification. You might want to think about bundling it for one of the three titles. Or you could rethink how the others are bundled to clear up one of the three slots if you think it's important enough to have its own title.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:40 am

I think it should entitle it's own slot, but then I can't seem to come up with a way to rebundle the rest or to 'cast aside' one of the others in hopes that it gets cleared the next time....*shrugs*
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:57 pm

how about it be part of the qualifications for all of the titles? People who are deliberately hurtful or abusive to new members can't get titles (excluding things like spamville posts)?
In this case hurtful or abusive wouldn't be the same as say being strict with a new member (like telling Toa to try and spell so that people can understand his posts, or politely rebuking a newbie who is either intentionally or unintentionally insulting or annoying in his postings).
Helpful would be things like for C&C trying to be supportive of the strugglings of new authors and giving advice on how to improve as an author over and above the typical grammar corrections that you normally give.
Or for Fic Research making sure you cite sources and are polite with those who don't know better or are asking what seems to us to be obvious questions.
I admit to not ever commenting on the fanart boards, but I think that "helpful to new members" would work somewhat like in C&C, with supportiveness and suggestions on how to improve being key to how to decide who to award the titles to.
I really can't think of how Fic Suggestions would be blended with one of the other three out there already, though I guess it could be lumped in with Fic research. However as a seperate category I'd think "Helpful to new Members" woul apply to fic suggestions in the form of well written summaries (not just copying from FF.net) and well thought out reasons for reccomendation.
Last edited by stratagemini on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Bliss » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:21 pm

That actually works real well Strata. If we place the 'Helpful to New Members' as a prereq for all the titles, then it kills two birds with one stone. Inclusion of politeness, civility and helpfulness as a deciding factor for the titles and defines characteristics we're looking for. We could just table the Fic Suggestion title for future approval, seeing as it looks to be separate from other categories....
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:32 pm

Sorry I haven't commented before, but everyone else seemed to be saying what I was thinking before I got around to posting it.
stratagemini wrote:In this case hurtful or abusive wouldn't be the same as say being strict with a new member (like telling Toa to try and spell so that people can understand his posts, or politely rebuking a newbie who is either intentionally or unintentionally insulting or annoying in his postings).
Helpful would be things like for C&C trying to be supportive of the strugglings of new authors and giving advice on how to improve as an author over and above the typical grammar corrections that you normally give.
Or for [b]Fic Research[b] making sure you cite sources and are polite with those who don't know better or are asking what seems to us to be obvious questions.

Yes, I do like these thoughts....
I really can't think of how Fic Suggestions would be blended with one of the other three out there already, though I guess it could be lumped in with Fic research. However as a seperate category I'd think "Helpful to new Members" would apply to fic suggestions in the form of well written summaries (not just copying from FF.net) and well thought out reasons for reccomendation.

So, you're thinking they would be included within the titles?
Although that would be helpful, helping new users and giving the "BEST" C&C, suggestion, Research, etc.... aren't necessarily the same thing.
Even though civil behavior is always essential for a title such as this, perhaps having one or two helpful to New user titles, and different titles for the sections.
EDIT:
So, perhaps a title for Research, and possibly C&C as included, and Fanart as another, and Helpful to new members as the third, if we can only have the three more for now?
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Shadell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Metroidvania wrote:So, perhaps a title for Research, and possibly C&C as included, and Fanart as another, and Helpful to new members as the third, if we can only have the three more for now?

Or we could just leave one off for now with plans to eventually add it in later if we see any fault with the way things work. ((Such as someone getting elected despite being cruel or rude to new forum members))
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu on Friday May 23, 2008 7:33 pm
http://www.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=175018118
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:56 pm

Time to revive this thread. The three categories mentioned in the last few posts sound good, so titles for them need to be hashed out.
It's December now, which means that in about two weeks, I'm going to start polling nominations for next quarter's Royal Court. If we want the additional titles to be part of it, I want to see some suggestions.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Metroidvania » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:34 am

Hmm....how the time flies when you don't actually have lots of free time to spend....
As for fanart, it depends on whether we decide to have the title for the artist, or reviewer.
Artist would make more sense, since everyone tends to tell about what they like or dislike in a certain work....
As for C&C/Research, would we be looking for most insightful comments, or on the different end of the specturm, who gives not the absolute maximum, but does still give input on many different topics?...
There are differences....
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Shadell wrote:C&C - Critic, Reviewer, Court Jester, Aide de camp, editor
Fan Art - Creator, Bohemian, Painter, Artist, Sculptor
Fic Research - Historian, Sage, Librarian

I can only add:
Artist - Designer, Originator, Maestro, Virtuoso, Genius, Wright
Research - Investigator, Scholar, Savant, Bluestocking, Pansophist, Egghead
C & C - Commentator, Analyst, Pundit, Gadfly, Debovarist
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Metroidvania wrote:As for fanart, it depends on whether we decide to have the title for the artist, or reviewer.
Artist would make more sense, since everyone tends to tell about what they like or dislike in a certain work....

How many fan artists do we have that produce more than a couple of works each year? Two artists? Three?
It might be wisest to have people who encourage and assist fan artists and fan artists eligible for the award. Otherwise, the same person is likely to get it most of the time, which is not what I want. These awards are for anyone who participates in the forum in a way that other forum members find significant and helpful, so the awards need to be set up in such a way that anyone can be nominated if they contribute to the category of the award in a way that stands out.
As for C&C/Research, would we be looking for most insightful comments, or on the different end of the specturm, who gives not the absolute maximum, but does still give input on many different topics?...
There are differences....

Again, both. All that really matters is that we are recognizing exceptional effort in the category, not just one aspect. The MQ and MCAs are for overall participation, and award those who other forum members think make the forum as a whole a fun place to be. The specific awards are for recognition of those who aid in those three areas in particular.
All six of the awards are given out by forum members nominating and voting for the recipients, so other than general guidelines about what the awards mean, I don't want to impose many limits what the contribution to the category needs to be.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:43 am

lwf58 wrote:How many fan artists do we have that produce more than a couple of works each year? Two artists? Three?
It might be wisest to have people who encourage and assist fan artists and fan artists eligible for the award. Otherwise, the same person is likely to get it most of the time, which is not what I want. These awards are for anyone who participates in the forum in a way that other forum members find significant and helpful, so the awards need to be set up in such a way that anyone can be nominated if they contribute to the category of the award in a way that stands out.

True, participation is important, and I will concede your point about the nunmber of productions.
Again, both. All that really matters is that we are recognizing exceptional effort in the category, not just one aspect. The MQ and MCAs are for overall participation, and award those who other forum members think make the forum as a whole a fun place to be. The specific awards are for recognition of those who aid in those three areas in particular.
All six of the awards are given out by forum members nominating and voting for the recipients, so other than general guidelines about what the awards mean, I don't want to impose many limits what the contribution to the category needs to be.

Right. Slight problem if we keep it rather open though, is who defines being most helpful in a particular category, but I suppose everyone has their own opinions, as well as their own criteria....
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:44 am

Metroidvania wrote:Slight problem if we keep it rather open though, is who defines being most helpful in a particular category, but I suppose everyone has their own opinions, as well as their own criteria....

Ah, but that's the whole point. The people who make the nominations are the ones who define what "most helpful" is.
When I ran the awards last time, I asked for the name of the person being nominated, and the reason why he/she was being nominated. The nominations are based on opinion, and the winners are the ones who get the most votes because other people agree with those opinions. In this coming election, I'll be trying to make that process work better if I can, but that's it in a nutshell.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:53 am

When I ran the awards last time, I asked for the name of the person being nominated, and the reason why he/she was being nominated. The nominations are based on opinion, and the winners are the ones who get the most votes because other people agree with those opinions. In this coming election, I'll be trying to make that process work better if I can, but that's it in a nutshell.

That's kind of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure that's where your train of thought lay.
So, you will be asking for reasons behind nominations again, then?
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Bliss » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 am

*shrugs* Another option is to ask those that are most involve with that forum. Authors and C&C-ers for that particular topic with input from others. Those that post in the Sailor Moon, Ranma and Research threads have more input on the helpfulness of the person nominated to represent that board... and so forth. Of course we don't discount other opinions, but I suppose it would encourage more people to post and nominate, and at least this way we'll have more input and opinion.
Also, what did we decide on limitations of reign? Can the same people be the MQ and MCAs again? In a row or do they have to give some other people a chance before attempting to regain their positions?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Talk