The Queen of Fukufics

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 am

Yes, I will. This time, I'll be reposting the reasons as part of the voting polls, which I didn't do last time. So I'll be asking for a little more specific info, since that's what the voters will have beside their own opinions on which to base decisions.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 am

Bliss wrote:Also, what did we decide on limitations of reign? Can the same people be the MQ and MCAs again? In a row or do they have to give some other people a chance before attempting to regain their positions?

I see no reason why the same people cannot be renominated if it's felt they deserve it. That might change in the future if it looks like other people are being shut out, but it's wide open for now.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:18 am

Hmmm, and last time the voting was a bit odd. Especially with the split. It gives room for error, either people don't see the other thread, or they voted on both by accident. Especially since we've got 6 titles we're voiting on.*shrugs* Although I can't come up with a good way to do it.
Also how will the nomination for the board-specific titles be done? Can someone be nominated for multiple board-specific titles, or do those names go under the MQ and MCA votes?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 am

Yes, that split made things more than a little awkward in my opinion as well.....
We have too many inspired people on this forum.....the poll limit per topic is what, 9 or 10?
As a fallback, we could make just a list on a topic, and have a certain run time, lock it, and tally the results....of course, that's a lot more hassle, but might be a possibility that needs to be thought about.....
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:34 am

Bliss wrote:Hmmm, and last time the voting was a bit odd. Especially with the split. It gives room for error, either people don't see the other thread, or they voted on both by accident. Especially since we've got 6 titles we're voiting on.*shrugs* Although I can't come up with a good way to do it.
Also how will the nomination for the board-specific titles be done? Can someone be nominated for multiple board-specific titles, or do those names go under the MQ and MCA votes?

I couldn't avoid the split because of limits in the poll code. There's no easy way to increase the total number of options. That's why I did my best to make sure everyone knew it was a two-parter, and not to vote until they'd seen both halves.
Yes, if a person is good enough to warrant nominations across all categories, they should be put up for MQ/MCA.
At the moment, I think I'd prefer to have one person nominated for each of the categories, rather than the same person nominated for several categories. That would help spread the nominations around a bit wider.
MQ/MCA is still one award category, going to the top three finishers in a vote for the forum's spiffiest members.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:37 am

Metroidvania wrote:Yes, that split made things more than a little awkward in my opinion as well.....
We have too many inspired people on this forum.....the poll limit per topic is what, 9 or 10?
As a fallback, we could make just a list on a topic, and have a certain run time, lock it, and tally the results....of course, that's a lot more hassle, but might be a possibility that needs to be thought about.....

The problem with that is accuracy. It's quite possible that I could miss a vote or two just because my eye passed over it without registering. Polls don't miscount.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:44 am

Hmmm I was wondering would MetD-chan's suggestion about using a List work better for the voting that go over the limit for the poll option?
Am I to assume that if you nominate someone for the MQ and MCA title, and they don't "win", that they can't be nominated for the Board-specific titles, or do all the votings happen at the same time?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:05 am

Ah... That's a consideration I hadn't thought of. Hmm.
I'm not sure how to solve it. I guess I'll just have to throw the nominations completely open and hope for the best, but... The problems are:
1. I want the awards to be as available as possible to everyone, not just the old-timers. I'm worried that we'll end up with the same list of names in all four categories, restricting the possible winners.
2. What happens if the same person wins in more than one category? How would one choose which award they actually got? While MQ/MCA has clear-cut precedence as the higher honors, the other three do not have any ranking above or below each other.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Bliss » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 am

Well since it's board-specific, we can't nominate the same person for each title. After all, what would be the point in 'horizontal recycling' rather than 'vertical recycling'... if that makes sense.
Since the MQ and MCA titles are all encompassing and therefore of 'higher rank', it's possible to reuse the names for other nominations, but I suppose a limit should be in place. So say for example Mr. X doesn't make the MQ or MCA, but people feel he has contributed to C&C as well as Research and Info gathering, then they can only nominate him for one of those titles, based on what they believe is a higher concentration of his efforts. *shrugs* Or something like that.
Another possibility is we do the board-specific nominations first, and those that win are not elligible for the MQ and MCA nominations... which would eliminate the problem of multiple nominations, or the same people being nominated over and over again, although if that happens it could also mean that some people just aren't contributing enough to become nominated.... in other words, we have a higher lurker to regular poster ratio.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Your first option is the one that would probably work best. Trying to run two consecutive voting operations would be a pain, and would take an entire month. It's hard enough to get people interested in participating in one voting operation!
I think I see a compromise. Instead of restricting nominations to one name per category, the restriction could be one name to MQ/MCA and one of the three board categories, plus one name per board category.
The other option would be to choose one name for each of the three board categories, which would then be automatically entered for MQ/MCA as well. No direct nominations for MQ/MCA would be permitted in this system.
Either way, if a nominee won in both, the MQ/MCA would be given to him/her and the other title would go to the runner-up in the board category vote.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby lwf58 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:07 am

Okay, it's just about time to get this show on the road. I'll be polling for nominations this coming week.
Other than the MQ/MCAs, the other three categories are:
Best in Fic Research
Best in Fic C&C
Best in Fan Art
There still hasn't been any agreement about the titles to go with those awards, although there have been many suggestions.
The titles that have been put for consideration and which sort of match the "royal" theme of the awards are:
Research - Scholar, Savant, Historian, Sage, Librarian
C&C - Critic, Court Jester, Aide de camp, Editor,
Art - Maestro, Wright, Bohemian, Artist
Alternatively, perhaps a rank would work better? Such as:
"Master of Inquest" for Fic Research,
"Master Sage" for C&C
"Master of the Arts" for Fan Art
And I still have need of opinions on my previous post, since it'll affect how nominations are polled!
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Metroidvania » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:29 am

So, are we polling for MC/MQS first to have them decided before the others or vice versa, or all at once?
And have you decided which of the options you talked about....
I think I see a compromise. Instead of restricting nominations to one name per category, the restriction could be one name to MQ/MCA and one of the three board categories, plus one name per board category.
The other option would be to choose one name for each of the three board categories, which would then be automatically entered for MQ/MCA as well. No direct nominations for MQ/MCA would be permitted in this system.

These you're using?
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:46 am

Metroidvania wrote:So, are we polling for MC/MQS first to have them decided before the others or vice versa, or all at once?

I mentioned earlier that running two different elections would take too long and be too complicated. I plan to handle all six awards at the same time.
And have you decided which of the options you talked about you're using?

That's what I want feedback about. Which do you think might be better? Since they involve two very different methods for the nomination process, it's important for me to hear opinions about them in the next few days.
Same for the titles, to a lesser extent. I need those to know what I'm going to be announcing.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Metroidvania » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:55 am

I mentioned earlier that running two different elections would take too long and be too complicated. I plan to handle all six awards at the same time.

Ah, all right. Just checking.
Which do you think might be better? Since they involve two very different methods for the nomination process, it's important for me to hear opinions about them in the next few days.
Same for the titles, to a lesser extent. I need those to know what I'm going to be announcing.

A question.
the restriction could be one name to MQ/MCA and one of the three board categories, plus one name per board category

Does this mean if one registered someone for MQ/MCA, and one board category, _plus_ a board category?
I find myself a bit confused by that definition.
The problem with the other option is that some are involved in both C&C and Research, but I see where you're coming from with the one title only....
perhaps nominations in two Fic related categories, and automatic registration in the MQ/MCA, with the MQ taking priority, and then, if by some reason, whoever wins MQ and a fic category can choose on which they want, and having the other person recieve the unchosen one....and if one were to win two fic categories, again, they could choose which one they wanted privately, and have the other person take the other title.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Bliss » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:10 am

I think the biggest problem with the second system is that we don't have a lot of people in the Fan Art section that post fan-art/criticism/comments/whatnot.... and if all nominations for fan art automatically apply for MCA/MQ it'd be a problem... for say the Research or C&C which feature a wider range of people, thus are more selective...
The first option sounds a lot more 'balanced', although I'm confused about the wording as well.. does it mean people nominate someone for the MCA/MQ polls+ one of the board-specific polls, and nominate another for just the board-specific poll?
Princess of Nyx (Nix)

Bliss
Super Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Talk