Physics question, I guess? XD

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Physics question, I guess? XD

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am

I almost put this in the Ranma 1/2 forum, but then I realized that it didn't exactly come down to something in Ranma 1/2. Then it was the Fic Research forum, and while the information I'm after can certainly be used in someone's story, what I really wanted to know is based more on curiosity and a subject that isn't reliant on anything fictional. But, if anyone feels like one of those places is more appropriate than this place, I'd understand if it were moved.

Anyway. What brought this to mind is because of something in Ranma 1/2, regarding speed, power and size. In the anime, at least, I think there are at least two occasions where it's explicitly said/illustrated that Ranma is faster as a girl; exactly how many times Ranma is weaker as a girl, I don't know. But that got me thinking. Even if Ranma has less mass as a girl, if she's faster (for whatever reason) couldn't that make up for it? Well, as far as the force behind a punch is concerned? (I wouldn't expect her to be able to lift the same, but what do I know? That's why I'm asking! XD )
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Physics question, I guess? XD

Postby Moira » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:02 am

I think that question can be answered in two parts. Newtons second law says tat the Force (F) is equal to the product of mass (m) and accelatation (a).

F=m*a [N = kg * m/s²)

To have the same force by having less mass you need a higher acceleation. So in that way, he can have the same hitting-power.
But i think here comes Newtons third law.

Each action has an equal reaction.

It means, if Ranma hits someone with 100N (100 kg * m/s²) she is also pushed back by the same sized Force, and here the less mass accelerates her faster in the opposite direction.

What i really think is the real problem here, that with less mass and less reach Ranma has more problems with levarage in throws, grabbling and punches. Also with less mass are less muscles to produce any force. And with smaller limbs also less time to accelarate the arm or leg long enough to reach the acceleration neede to compensate for the lesser mass.

In my opinion, that means, as girl Ranma could hit as hard as boy, but is lacking the needed muscles, reach and leverage to apply it.
Moira
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 am

Well, considering characters like Happosai and Cologne, who are prime examples of being the most powerful despite the obvious lack in muscle, mass and reach, I figure the usual means of producing force would be different (and would thus explain how someone with less muscle, mass and reach could become faster as a result). I was thinking that ki would be the main source of "muscle" (especially in regard to anything being performed beyond the normal limit of the human body), and with less mass it (ki) can move a part of the body faster. I'm not sure how significant the difference would be between Ranma's two forms, but might there be less drag concerning his limbs when he's a girl (not taking clothes into account), too?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I'm not sure how significant the difference would be between Ranma's two forms, but might there be less drag concerning his limbs when he's a girl (not taking clothes into account), too?

There would be more turbulence and drag as a girl. She's smaller, the clothes would be looser, and the fluttering of cloth would cause problems. Nudity is not an option,
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 pm

@Washu, I'm soooo tempted to finish your sentence with "it's mandatory." but that's just too predictable. Hennyway, I tend to think that the changeover results in some loss of muscle power plus a rather large loss of mass, so acceleration would increase, even if top speed went down. Something like, say, a VW Golf GTi v a Citroën DS 23.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Nudity is not an option,

Sure it is! Ranma's fought nude on several occasions, and the distinct lack of feminine modesty allows it (nudity) to be put into a strategic context. :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Sure it is! Ranma's fought nude on several occasions, and the distinct lack of feminine modesty allows it (nudity) to be put into a strategic context. :P

You have a point. Just coming out on the field would stun Ryoga. And Modesty Blaise used that trick too.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Neko- » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:04 am

This pic just begs to be posted in here :lol:

Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 am

Ranma 1/2 is a fantasy comic!? @_@ All these years... I never knew...

But it's not about physics in the series, anyway. Is was basically a question about whether or not something that is fast and light can be equal to something that is slow and heavy.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:43 am

Fast and light... A pingpongball being slammed at you
Slow and heavy... A game of dodgeball

While the dodgeball is easier to avoid (for arguments sake lets say said ball weighs a couple of pounds/kilos) if it hits, it's probably going to hurt a large area.
The pingpongball (harder to avoid since it travels way faster), if it hits it'll do damage to a small area (not really much damage since a human can't provide sufficient speed to the ball to provide real damage).

Now if you're being bombarded with pingpongballs (one every 0.1 seconds), that's going to be felt. That'll also provide localized damage.
One hit from the dodgeball will cause similar damage, but it's easier to avoid.

Now if you get hit with a dodgeball, this will transfer an amount of energy into your body. This energy causes damage (see Moira's post).
The pingpongball will provide less energy, but since we can accumulate multiple hits, it is possible to amass the same amount of energy with pingpongballs.

So yes. You can do equal damage with small/light and fast objects as you could with big/heavy and slow objects.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:19 am

Reading those examples made me think of speeding bullets and swinging sledgehammers instead. XD
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 am

Same principle...

Nail in the wall... Hit it with a sledge hammer, and it's in. Hit it with a bullet (provided you can hit the nail dead center), and it's likely in too.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 am

Nude Modesty Blaise... *lost in a multi-X-rated fantasyland* Anyway, that strip did run in one of the dailies up here.

@Neko - I just had to nick-o that image.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk