RIP - Anne McCaffery

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

RIP - Anne McCaffery

Postby camk4evr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Anne McCaffery, creator of Dragon Riders and singing ships died Monday November 21 of a stroke.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/11/anne-mccaffrey-in-remembrance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Re: RIP - Anne McCaffery

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm

She also wrote other series. She even passed the torch not too long ago to her son Todd. I hope her funeral will be noted at least half as gloriously as she wrote for Master Harper Robinton.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 am

Actually some time before she started collaborating with Todd she said that she had written a conclusion to the Dragon Riders of Pern series that wasn't to be published until after her death.

Though given that the most recent book was credited solely to Todd McCaffery that may have changed.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 am

Todd's book also has a completely different feel to it. Whatever he adds will almost certainly be a divergence. There is allot of time in the world's history for him to work with.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Spokavriel wrote: She also wrote other series. She even passed the torch not too long ago to her son Todd. I hope her funeral will be noted at least half as gloriously as she wrote for Master Harper Robinton.

Yeah I know. She also wrote the Doona books, Crytal Singer books, Planet Pirates trilogy, Acorna boooks, telepath books, and numerous short stories. I just chose those two as they were her more well known ones and she was very protective of Pern and was, apparently, reluctant to let Todd write about Pern. She also did not care for fanfiction but (if I remember correctly), around the time that Todd started writing Pern novels, she had relaxed her stance on fanfiction.

When I was a child my mother read to me The Dragon Riders of Pern, The Lord of the Rings, and the Belgariad. One of the first adult novels I read was the Harperhall of Pern (an omnibus containing the Harperhall trilogy from the Sci-Fi book club) which I then followed with every book written by Anne McCaffery (for the next ten years) that I could find (including Get Off the Unicorn the only copy of which I'd ever seen was in my high school's library).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:00 pm

I still think Menolly's mom deliberately tried to give her a worse scar on her hand so that she couldn't "Disgrace" them further by trying to continue with her musical twiddles.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 am

Spokavriel wrote: I still think Menolly's mom deliberately tried to give her a worse scar on her hand so that she couldn't "Disgrace" them further by trying to continue with her musical twiddles.

Ummm yeah. I think that was implied in one of the books.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 pm

One of my favorite Anne McCaffery stories for years was the Crystal Singer storyline, followed by the Pern novels and Doona. And just recently I found my self plotting out a followup story to her Freedoms Landing, Choice, ect...story arc with a fanfiction outlined basically called Freedoms Children, but never wrote it because of my respect for her and her works. Her vivid worlds will be missed.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk