Bad news!

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Bad news!

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I finally got around to updating (though doubtfully improving) my whole site with the new format. Now everything's interconnected again for your brain-hemorrhaging pleasure. Even some of the newest stories that I wanted to finish before making public.

(If you're too lazy to check my profile: my site.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Bad news!

Postby frice2000 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks a lot nice to see them all in one place rather then the puzzle piece of like 3 versions of your site we had previously. My phone still doesn't like the site in altered Chrome on my Charge though, but my Xoom had no problem on regular Honeycomb version Chrome but Dolphin works just fine on both...Eh whatever can't expect you to test it on everything. Though Chapter navigation fails on every mobile browser I tried.

Just a quick feature request...Maybe a 'What's New' page with an RSS feed perhaps? Could use Feedburner or something similar for the RSS portion? Or maybe just a handy seperate blog? RSS makes the whole web a quicker easier browsed place :P.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Hmmm... IE still does not like that site... But IIRC you specifically said on a earlier incarnation it was made that way... Oh well.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 pm

I just opened it on IE9 64bit/Win7 and it loads okish. The chapters don't chain together like they do on Firefox/Chrome which I've viewed it on before, and the roll-over is pretty poor and flaky, and color isn't exactly the same as in the other two, but it was browse-able.

Edit: While reading through these again:
Gaea has quite a personality. This is due in part to the fact that she's a bit childish, as far as life-bearing planets are concerned. Not only does she not like the other candidates, but she wants them to think that they have a chance, so she can dash their dreams and — by doing so — teach them a lesson.

Sigh...Really? She requisitioned the amount of power necessary and influence needed to move ALL these people into this area only to basically go, link, while at the same time making the person she wants to be her will sort of manifest have a horribly complicated and annoying life? That's...Hard to buy for me. I mean they were dead, did she really need to play with them this much to rez them just to continue a lesson? If they don't learn it is she going to wait for them to all die again and then do the same thing over again?
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm

frice2000 wrote:Thanks a lot nice to see them all in one place rather then the puzzle piece of like 3 versions of your site we had previously.

Technically, it was two, with one of them being a puzzle piece of one. The older site now redirects to the now non-puzzle-pieced site.

My phone still doesn't like the site in altered Chrome on my Charge though, but my Xoom had no problem on regular Honeycomb version Chrome but Dolphin works just fine on both...Eh whatever can't expect you to test it on everything. Though Chapter navigation fails on every mobile browser I tried.

Mobile devices may be used a lot but I doubt I'll ever bother to learn how to make sites for them. It's bad enough putting something simple together for various browsers that may or may not look at the W3 standards with crossed eyes and drool-laden lips.

Just a quick feature request...Maybe a 'What's New' page with an RSS feed perhaps? Could use Feedburner or something similar for the RSS portion? Or maybe just a handy seperate blog? RSS makes the whole web a quicker easier browsed place :P.

I wouldn't know what to do with it, in part because I've never used it and know next to nothing about it. I don't update all that often, anyway, and I don't mind doing things the old-fashioned way.

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... IE still does not like that site... But IIRC you specifically said on a earlier incarnation it was made that way... Oh well.

Well, it wasn't made for the purpose of not working well with IE; I just don't care for it. I'd rather use CSS instead of frames, and that's basically it. IE is dumb for not supporting position:fixed. Unless my amateurish skills are missing something.

frice2000 wrote:Sigh...Really? She requisitioned the amount of power necessary and influence needed to move ALL these people into this area only to basically go, link, while at the same time making the person she wants to be her will sort of manifest have a horribly complicated and annoying life? That's...Hard to buy for me. I mean they were dead, did she really need to play with them this much to rez them just to continue a lesson even though they were all pretty much dead already?

...Wut? I haven't gotten to the part that fully explains why Gaea wanted all of them to be reincarnated, but her attitude toward the four is a recent development. Also, Gaea had nothing to do with the kind of life that Ranma had; had she for anyone, don't you think that she would have groomed them to be exactly what she wanted?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 am

I wouldn't know what to do with it,

http://www.make-rss-feeds.com/making-an-rss-feed.htm . It's really not that hard. The thing you do with it is you make a XML file that you add to your site. You change this file when you make an update. People can subscribe to your site for RSS updates. So, basically when there's an update people see it in whatever RSS reader they use (I use Google Reader but there are many many others) and they can think click the link and get directed to the new content or read it within their RSS reader. For example, this is the Ranma FF.net Crossover RSS feed. It gets updated whenever a new fic is added to that site (usually). Then you don't have to open that site daily, you can just check your RSS feeder. Makes browsing more convenient. If you've never used them before...I really don't know how you browse the web on a daily basis without them. I get like ~100 articles every 8 hours through them, and without a set of RSS feeds I would have to open hundreds of sites hundreds of times in a day.

Also, Gaea had nothing to do with the kind of life that Ranma had

Don't buy that. It's a cosmic coincidence then that every single girl who was trying to compete to become a Senshi were an integral part of his/her life then? As presented this smells entirely of her intervention to make that happen. Hence, ones mind automatically goes to questioning what else she arranged to happen. If that wasn't the case he shouldn't really know any of them since the canon Senshi really weren't all that close to each other really. Sure, they came together through coincidences and the whole 'fate/destiny' thing too, but they weren't all childhood friends or really close acquaintances beforehand. If you didn't intend to have Gaea manipulating Ranma and companies lives then why did they all get so close even before the past life memories were brought into question? They all going to end up being her 'servants' or something along those lines? I just have a problem with the plausibility minus that intervention.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 am

I'll look into the RSS thing, then. No promises that I'll try to set it up, though.

I probably only browse no more than a dozen sites on a regular basis, so I don't have much of a load when it comes to keeping up with things.

Goodness... I swear that every time you pose a question about one of my stories, I have to decide on whether to spoil something or not. You'll just have to trust me that, while it's not exactly coincidence, Gaea's involvement was restricted to their birth. As they say: location, location, location! (Hopefully that's a good enough hint... It's even based on Greek mythology.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby TerraMimic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

It seems to work fairly ok with IE8. Although it's a bit of a pain to navigate unless I up my resolution to 1024x768 (max my small monitor can support) from my usual 800x600.

Text doesn't seem to be taking up the full width of the allotted areas. But, I'm pretty sure that's just IE being stupid more than anything else.
TerraMimic
Senshi Candidate

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 pm

It does look OK on two FF2-class browsers, namely Firefox 2.0.0.20 and K-Meleon 1.5.4. Dillo-win32, otoh, was most unimpressed with the mark-up, listing 45 separate violations in fanfiction.html, mostly to do with putting block elements (<h2>) inside inline do. (<span>, <a>), which is a wagging-finger-no-no.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:29 pm

TerraMimic wrote:Text doesn't seem to be taking up the full width of the allotted areas. But, I'm pretty sure that's just IE being stupid more than anything else.

That might be due to the padding(?) I put in place.

Té Rowan wrote:It does look OK on two FF2-class browsers, namely Firefox 2.0.0.20 and K-Meleon 1.5.4. Dillo-win32, otoh, was most unimpressed with the mark-up, listing 45 separate violations in fanfiction.html, mostly to do with putting block elements (<h2>) inside inline do. (<span>, <a>), which is a wagging-finger-no-no.

I didn't understand the underlined stuff. Or what an "inline do." is.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 pm

I presume you know already that HTML expands to HyperText Mark-up Language and that all the tags (elements) in HTML are collectively known as mark-up.

Hennyway... the tags are split into various classes, two of which are block tags and inline tags. Tags that cause line breaks are block tags. In valid HTML, block tags may contain inline tags but inline tags may not contain block tags.

So, basically, your mark-up is good enough for IE and FF. It just abuses the standards in a manner that is not guaranteed to work forever.

"do." is shorthand for "ditto".

For interested people's bookmark file/page:

Current HTML4 standard: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/
Current CSS2 standard: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/
An organised reference: http://www.htmlhelp.com/ - HTML3.2/HTML4/CSS1

There is, in your CSS code, a 'color:cccccc' that should be 'color:#cccccc' which is likely why the fic text wound up black on black in Dillo. By design, Dillo is an unforgiving browser and will only accept valid mark-up as good enough, hence a good testing tool.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:39 pm

You presume too much of this fool. ;p Let it be known that technical jargon or anything delving into the realm of nerd or geek territory are unlikely to be among my repertoire of knowledge. I've honestly done little more than see the code, how it works, and play with it.

You know, I forget why I stopped using the #. I think it was because of the examples in the second HTML book I'd gotten... <_<;

Okay, so, if I replaced the <h2> tags with <font> tags to determine the font size, would that do it? I only used the <h2> tag because it was a quick and easy way to make something the size that I wanted.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm

It should, though it would lose the heading's built-in separation. You could also replace the <span> with a <div>, which is the block version of the <span> and should cause fewer grumbles from a validator.

Btw... <hr> is a block tag, IIRC, so closing the <b> just before and reopening it just after the <hr> would cut down on the whining even further.

In case your HTML book never mentioned it...
Code: Select all
<link rel="stylesheet" href="foo.css" type="text/css">
links to a separate stylesheet. That way you need only modify one file instead of twenty to fix stylesheet errors. What goes in a stylesheet is what goes between the <style></style> set.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27 pm

I haven't uploaded anything to my site yet, but I fixed the missing #, opened and closed the bold tags between the hr tags, and replaced all of the h1 and h2 tags with font, center and p tags. I tried replacing the span tags with div tags, but display:none failed. I don't know why, or how to fix it, so I decided to keep the span tags.

I've linked to an external stylesheet before, but I work on this stuff so rarely that I have to relearn things each time I get back around to it. So, I decided that, if that's going to happen anyway, I might as well make myself do something multiple times so that it sticks. But now I'm just too lazy and out of it to do that sort of thing these days, so I might end up using it again... Le sigh.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:56 am

Could just use some WYSIWYG HTML editor like Dreamweaver. Trial here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index ... reamweaver
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Other Talk