Ellen's Book is out!

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Ellen's Book is out!

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 pm

I write fanfic - and also write mysteries. Most of them have been short stories, but one of those short stories blew up in my face and turned into a novel. A small publisher picked it up; the books came from the printer two days ago. Right now, it's only available on the FTL Publications site - it takes a bit longer for small publishers to get on Amazon. Maybe by mid-October.

The book is called Secret Murder: Who Shall Judge?. Secret Murder is a key concept in Norse law, back during the days of the Vikings. Killing people was okay, but you had to own up to your deeds and be judged by the community. If you didn't announce your deed, you were guilty of the much more serious crime of secret murder. If the community judged the victim needed killing, you were pretty much home free, though you probably had to pay compensation to his relatives. If the community judged you as being in the wrong, you could be outlawed. That meant you were no longer under the protection of the law, and had no legal complaint if somebody killed you. Outlaws usually moved elsewhere in a great hurry.

In the lands of the English, things were decided differently. The King and his nobles did the judging, and usually confiscated the goods of the killer.

Things get difficult when the outlaw moves to English lands, and becomes a prosperous (if unethical) merchant. When Norse traders come to town, their old, outlawed, enemy turns up dead. Who will catch the killer, and whose law will he be judged under?

If you want a taste of the world of Secret Murder, I have a related short story at Thorolf and the Peacock.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Re: Ellen's Book is out!

Postby frice2000 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Interesting. Any chance you can get this on the Kindle bookstore? I kind of hesitate to buy from smaller book sites, gotten burnt once or twice before.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 pm

The book will be on the Kindle bookstore, but right now it's only available from FTL Publications. You can trust Joan - she is reliable, and if she does you wrong I will go knock on her door and make inquiries. (Since she sells them herself at FTL, she doesn't have to pay a rakeoff to the dealer, so they are cheaper there.)
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Any chance of sending the money to your directly for a signed first edition?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

I don't see why you couldn't do that. Send a check for $13 made out to Ellen Kuhfeld, and let me know if you want anything special in the way of autographs. No cheese muffins accepted. Oh -- be sure to send me your address, so I know where to mail the book!

Ellen Kuhfeld
8200 W 33rd St. #326
Saint Louis Park, MN 55426
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Other Talk