I'd like to make some changes to my computer...

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

I'd like to make some changes to my computer...

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:57 pm

...because they are annoying me. And I don't know what I need to do to make the changes, if it's even possible.

The first annoyance is that I like viewing things in my folders with the "details" setting, but it never sticks and usually changes back to "large icons" randomly the next time I turn my computer on. It also appears to be the default setting when I create new folders.

The second annoyance is that, when the power goes out momentarily (off then on), my computer starts itself back up without any prompting from me. This has become a recent concern because of the insane amount of storms we've had in our area this year, and more than once the power has gone out again while my computer was trying to start back up. I'm really hoping that there's an option somewhere that will keep my computer from trying to start itself back up again on its own.

The third is less of an annoyance and more of a curiosity. My computer used to start up in a half of a minute or so, but after I turned off a good number of processes it now takes two to three minutes, maybe a bit longer. If it was because of a certain process, which one might it have been? Because I have no earthly idea.

Oh, yeah. I'm using Vista.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: I'd like to make some changes to my computer...

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm

First of all I don't know about Vista I'll just tell you what worked before Vista was made and hope they didn't take away the ability for the changes to work as suggested. If it doesn't work in the new version please let me know. It will be more for my list of reasons why I never want to go with Vista and probably won't bother with any Microsoft software if I can help it after they stop updates to versions I use currently.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:...because they are annoying me. And I don't know what I need to do to make the changes, if it's even possible.

The first annoyance is that I like viewing things in my folders with the "details" setting, but it never sticks and usually changes back to "large icons" randomly the next time I turn my computer on. It also appears to be the default setting when I create new folders.

If it still works like in older versions go into your File Manager usually titled "Windows Explorer" Go to the C: drive without actually being in any of the folders and to into the menu for changing the options. There should be a place where you can select for the changes to be applied to all sub folders. That would make your changes default for every folder on the entire system.

The second annoyance is that, when the power goes out momentarily (off then on), my computer starts itself back up without any prompting from me. This has become a recent concern because of the insane amount of storms we've had in our area this year, and more than once the power has gone out again while my computer was trying to start back up. I'm really hoping that there's an option somewhere that will keep my computer from trying to start itself back up again on its own.

This problem happens because of a setting in your Bios. When first turning on your computer you can usually briefly see instructions on how to enter Bios. If not try the F keys or Esc. Its usually one of them. In the menus you can find an option that selects computer behavior preferences after a power outage. Change it to stay turned off or whichever similar phrasing your manufacturer chose

The third is less of an annoyance and more of a curiosity. My computer used to start up in a half of a minute or so, but after I turned off a good number of processes it now takes two to three minutes, maybe a bit longer. If it was because of a certain process, which one might it have been? Because I have no earthly idea.

Sorry that I can't help on this one. I have never seen exempting processes result in a slower start up before. Thank God I am not using Vista. Sorry again.

Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:28 am

The first annoyance is that I like viewing things in my folders with the "details" setting

Right click on a root folder. Click Properties then click the Customize tab, check the apply setting to each subfolder. Try each setting (Video, Music, Documents, etc.) until you find one that works like you like it. That's the only way to really keep it guaranteed solid if it won't stick while you're using the file browser. 7 fixed that bug rather nicely...Sad that they never fixed it in Vista.

my computer starts itself back up without any prompting from me.

BIOS issue. Check the bios. Press Delete, F1, F8, F2, something like that to get into it while booting. It's probably a setting in power options that Windows may have changed on installation, or you just may have never noticed it before.

half of a minute or so, but after I turned off a good number of processes it now takes two to three minutes

You turned off a process you shouldn't have. I assume you're using 'Services.msc' if not bad on you. If you selected Manual (as you really really shouldn't select Disabled unless you're CERTAIN that it's not needed, and if you did select Disabled who knows what's going on) for some processes that Windows really does need then it'll start them later rather then at normal boot and one at a time on demand this can be slower. My suggestion would be to take down a list of the ones you turned on and then later check which ones you set to Manual are running later. If you did just set them to Disabled set them back to Manual it's far safer. That or you installed a hell of a lot of new applications that start with your computer and the turning off processes is not at all related.

ICCK. Upgrade to 7. Vista is the Windows ME of this computer generation. 7 is immensely better. Can get it for less then $50 too. Here Windows 7 for $30 if you have a college email address, or know someone who does. Alternatively you could try Linux. I find this version to be pretty user friendly. Download a Live CD version and boot off the CD (this will not delete your Windows installation or at all mess with anything on your hard drive yet). You can then test drive it for awhile and see if you like it. If you do there's a Install button right on the desktop. If you run a lot of Windows applications and you don't like Linux because of that I find Wine to be acceptable for lots of low yield stuff.

Oh Spok had similar answers to some questions but...yeah not deleting mine.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 am

a nice fix to the when power goes out and your comp goes poof...

buy a UPS system aka giant battery... can give you 5min or so to go 'ok turn off computer time'...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:26 am

buy a UPS system aka giant battery

NOT having an ups is a very foolish thing :x
Not only does it cover brief losses of power (and allows you to save your work in progress an a case of a blackout). It also switches to internal battery whenever the voltage goes out of range (down OR up).

In the worst case of a power spike there's a good chance its internal circuits would short first shunting the power connection and thus protecting your much more expensive PC with its last breath.

All these wonders for a meager sum of $60..80.

Check the bios.

[In a grave voice overlaid with Ominous Latin Chanting] Check the battery. If you also experience system clock resetting then know this: woe to you! That itty-bitty bugger is responsible for powering the chip that runs the clock and stores the BIOS settings. When the battery starts dying... Some motherboards reset to factory settings at startup (one of possible reasons for the sudden change of your power settings). Some just choke with the scrambled data and play possum, very convincingly. Very, very convincingly, to the point of writing the computer off.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I will address only the first as the others have covered any advise I would give. Odds are your folder settings are not sticking because a small file in each folder is not getting maintained correctly or is getting erased. its named index (forgot the extention) this could be due to folder permissions, anti-virus, or other securities. If you are having other settings going as well it may be part of a bigger problem. A corrupt user account, this is rare and usually caused by improper shut downs.

Try setting a folder to view you like normally, then restart. if the old view returns then try making a new user and repeating. That should tell you the problem right there.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 pm

No dice, so far. Not really.

On the folder front, I'm not sure what a "root" folder would be, but I tried it on the "users" folder, figuring it would get anything under an account. While the folder I'd set to "details" stuck when I turned my computer back on, and the new folder's default setting was "details" when I made it, it will take several start-ups to be sure that it won't randomly change back. Beyond that, everything with "large icons" remains unchanged, and I really don't feel like going through all of my folders to change it manually.

As far as entering my BIOS is concerned, it seems impossible. There are two reasons for this. The first is that the logo is literally there and gone before I can blink. Even before that, I see nothing about pressing this or that to enter the BIOS. The second is that my keyboard isn't even on until the user account menu is about to appear.

So it looks like I'll have to find out what process(es) I need to set back to automatic if I want to get anywhere with two of these things (I'm guessing). I'm pretty sure I didn't disable the process(es) that may be in question, though, since I only disabled the ones that I was absolutely sure were unneeded (like stuff for a printer, web cam, and other things and programs that I wasn't going to use anytime soon).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Root = Starting point. For any file saved on Drive C: the root is C:\ any folders in C: would be C:\Windows or other title. So being in C: and only C: it would apply to all folders on the entire drive.

I've seen it fail going to "My computer" before because when you look into it you are seeing a location that is claiming to exist before the beginning.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Your keyboard isn't usable until you see the user account log in screen? I assume you're using a Bluetooth keyboard with a Windows only Bluetooth dongle or some such, not particularly rare. Just go get a $7 USB keyboard or go to Bestbuy and buy one with it in mind to return it. Plug in the usb keyboard. Keep hitting Escape, F1, F2, and F8 while booting and you should see the Bios boot screen. You may have to hold Escape or Delete before pressing the power button if you have a boot booster. If you give the exact model name and type it would be helpful. A quick Google search will find how to get into the bios as well.

By root of the folder I didn't mean C:\. Whatever folder you want to change the settings and all sub-file types in right click on the folder before you get into it.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 pm

I just have the USB Dell keyboard that came with my Dell computer.

So there's no way to make every folder have the same setting as a default? I have to go around and change each folder manually?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Oh you want to make a global change? Open Folder options in Control Panel, reset to default, and make some changes in the second tab.

So it's a recent Dell computer? Here's one site with some get into Bios info: http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm . Alternatively just call tech support and give them your service tag and they'll tell you how to get in easy.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Folder options was the first thing I tried. It completely lacks any global choice on how the files are displayed; except for one, which is stupid because all it does is make all files of certain extension types have the same image, thus making image galleries very inconvenient to browse.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

Cheb wrote: $60..80.

Actually I think I saw some UPSes in the $30-40 range at Microcenter recently. :wink:

And yeah, Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans and Adware = VISTA. It's also buggy as hell and rather inefficient and slow. Upgrading to 7 is way better. I'm not sure if I'd rank it as bad as ME though, it seems to work somewhat more often and not crash quite as hard when it does break or do stupid or annoying crap, at least from what I've seen helping friends with their computers.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 am

Nekomata-sensei wrote:And yeah, Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans and Adware = VISTA.

Funny thing. Like my last computer, I'm using dated protection software (two years without an update; and I think the only thing that works is the firewall, anyway). Between that and the Windows firewall, the only other protection I have is Adblock Plus and NoScript on my browser. And between using Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista, I've never experienced a crash, either. I've never had any problems with viruses and the like, too. I think I only had some spyware back when I was using 2000.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 am

I have a couple still functioning Windows ME machines. The only areas either one has ever been problems in is if you idiotically got one expecting it to be a gaming rig. I use one in the kitchen as an electronic cook book and DVD player.

Vista makes ME look like a good solid and enjoyable operating system from what I have been seeing about it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Other Talk