A problem watching videos...

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

A problem watching videos...

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 am

As far as watching subbed anime goes, I tend to go to Animeseason first. However, lately, it's becoming rare that any of the videos will actually appear there. If the video comes from a site that NoScript blocks, the space for the video will be there, showing that it's blocked. Once unblocked, that space vanishes. Even if the video had never been blocked. It seems like the video appears for a split second whenever I click on a tab (which chooses the location of the video), as if it wants to appear/work, but then doesn't. I just checked it with IE, and it works perfectly fine...

So, yeah, I don't understand what's wrong. Is it the site? Does Firefox need a certain plug-in? :?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: A problem watching videos...

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am

No idea. I download the episodes and use 'media player classic' to watch 'em
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 am

If you're using Noscript or possibly an Adblocker that's likely your problem. Turn both off entirely and then restart the browser and reload the entire page. Also delete Firefox's cookies since its possible they marked you as having one of those extensions and thus don't want to show you the videos. Also there's been a lot of updates to Flash recently so you may need to upgrade your version of that as I assume that's what format the site in question uses.

Oh and here's the obligatory use Chrome which autoupdates Flash and it's extensions while running and puts each tab in it's own process so the entire browser can never crash. Also it's Webkit base is faster then pretty much every other browser out there except Opera.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

I don't think it's NoScript or Adblock Plus that's the cause. If that were the case, then wouldn't the problem be more consistent, and I wouldn't be able to watch any videos from the site at all? I'm not sure what it is, but I usually have to wait for a new location to be added after the initial ones that are available when a new video is added. I haven't paid enough attention to see whether the location is an issue, but that can't be it if IE has no problems with it.

Okay, I decided to check one of your suggestions right quick, and it turns out that it is Adblock Plus. But... why? That doesn't make any sense. If they made it so no one can watch videos unless they could see the ads, why doesn't it always work? -_-
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Likely because sometimes you won't see the ads when you play a video and sometimes you will. Adblocker is likely throwing out the ad video but then doesn't properly chain to the actual video resulting in a broken page. It's annoying but it's very common for lots of sites. Seen it happen with blip.tv, YouTube, etc. Best to just whitelist the page and deal with the ads or specifically filter out the only banner ads there and leave the video alone.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Well, there was an update for Adblock Plus, and it seems like the problem was fixed. It just had to be within twenty-four hours of asking what the problem was... :?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I've found NoScript popping up other pages that get linked embedded in the page, once the first block is lifted.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that. If only that had been the case, because then I wouldn't have seen a problem. XD
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk