RIP: Nicholas Courtney

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

RIP: Nicholas Courtney

Postby camk4evr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Nicholas Courtney, Doctor Who's Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, died yesterday, at the age of 81.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Re: RIP: Nicholas Courtney

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Okay I think that's enough o's. That's terrible. Well I'm glad I got to see him one last time on the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I always hoped he'd cross path's with the Doctor again.

Rest in Peace Brigadier.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

He was in the first episode of Doctor Who I saw (ever so long ago) playing not the upright Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart, but his Fascist alternate universe counterpart - complete with scar and eyepatch.

Given how many Doctors he appeared with, there was always a faint hope he might appear with the latest regenerations.

Rest in peace Nicholas.
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby camk4evr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:53 am

Apparently, he worked with all the Doctors (including Paul McGann's) except for the last three (though in some cases these were in Doctor Who audio plays). After seeing him in the Sarah Jane Adventures I'd hoped that he'd do a guest spot as the Brig. in both Torchwood and Doctor Who (especially as the 50th anniversary will be in a couple of years).

And now my favorite of the 'Companions' as well as my favorite of the Doctors is dead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Which of the first three was your favorite Doc?

Don't the Brig get younger in one of the audio play.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

My favorite Doctor, and the first one I'd ever seen, was (and still is though now it's more for reasons of Nostalia) John Pertwee. My second favorite was William Hartnell (though he's been supplanted now by David Tennant and Christopher Ecleston). Until last year, I had no real opinion on Patrick Troughton as I'd only ever seen him in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors which is no way to really showcase a Doctor (I've only gotten three of his serials in the last year).

I've also never heard any of the audio plays so I have no idea what happens in any of them. My only exposure to any of the expanded universe material is to or three of the 10th Doctor novels and a couple of K-9 picture books my grandmother gave my brother and me when we were kids (early 80s). And the recent RPG but that doesn't really count.

camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 pm

The three and the five Doctors was enough to get me interersted in #2. I just liked his personality. Of his serials I've watch War Games, The Dominators, the Two Doctors, and one with the Cybermen and the Brig.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:34 am

What episode(s) did he appear in, in The Sarah Jane Adventures? I haven't gotten around to watching them all, yet (just being lazy...), but it'd still be nice to know. :D

I never did get to watch many of the Troughton episodes. When I first began watching, it was through a local PBS station. They constantly ran the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker Doctors, with extremely few Troughton episodes. Of course, they'd also run all of the Davison and McCoy episodes, but didn't seem to have many episodes with Colin (forgot his last name temporarily...) - which may be a good thing, as I didn't really care as much for his Doctor, for some reason.

I really should get around to getting the Five Doctors two-disc set... that one has the unedited version of the episodes, IIRC - the one I vividly remember watching, so the CG(?) edits in the 'edited' version (for which, of course, I do have the DVD) sometimes make me cringe. :P
It does have some fun commentary, though, such as how Pertwee kept insisting upon stealing the spotlight in the storyline. :D
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am

Baker, Colin was a second Baker.

The Brig shows up in the last two eps of the second season for the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:42 am

Yeah, I wanted to say "Baker," but I wasn't completely sure. I mostly tend to (try to) forget him, anyway. 8)
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 am

Yeah I found him disapointed for the most part myself. He's the only one of the first Seven never to meet with the Brig on screen. Maybe that add to why I dislike him.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:26 am

A number of Patrick Troughton's and William Hartnell's episodes were erased when the BBC did some house cleaning in the early seventies ( after all, who'd want to watch old TV shows? :roll: )

In my area Doctor Who was shown first on commercial stations - on Saturday mornings for the Jon Pertwee episodes and after midnight on a different station for the Tom Baker & following Doctors. Then YTV showed the whole gamut in the early '90's showing them as they were originally presented as separate episodes. ( the Saturday morning presentation was 1/2 hr episodes, while the midnight showings joined them up as movies - with tons of commercials) Then PBS Detroit became available here and they showed all the episodes as movies (often with interuptions for pledge drives)

With Tom having 7 years worth of episodes it's not surprising you'd see a lot of him. -

Colin's Doctor had a lot to dislike about him - both characterization and the way the BBC treated the show.

Here's a link to Nicholas Courtney's page at the IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183944/

Here's a link to the IMDB page for the Brigadier's appearance on Sarah Jane's Show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285085/
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby camk4evr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 am

J. St.C. Patrick wrote:A number of Patrick Troughton's and William Hartnell's episodes were erased when the BBC did some house cleaning in the early seventies ( after all, who'd want to watch old TV shows? :roll: )

The fire didn't help matters.

Oddly enough, there appears to be more of Patrick Troughton's episodes missing than William Hartnel's (I've just picked up the Lost In Time DVD set and it's really upsetting because there's a number of serials I'd heard of and wanted to see, on it). Only 6 of Patrick Troughton's 21 serials are intact (plus invasion which has had two episodes animated to replace missing episodes).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 pm

You know, it's been so long since I watched any of the Colin Baker episodes, that I can remember how his Doctor dressed far more than what, exactly, it was I didn't care for about his Doctor (aside from how he dressed, of course :D) or the episodes (not including Mel...). ^_^; (No, don't point me to any YouTube videos, please. :P)

I also don't remember what Troughton episodes I've seen (not counting The Five Doctors), unfortunately. I vaguely remember seeing the episode where they forced him to regenerate, but aside from that...

Hmm. I only have the third season of TSJA immediately available - have to go digging deep within my collection for those DVDs. :|
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm

My parents currently have my first two season of TSJA, I was trying to get my dad into them. I failed.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk