Japan cracks down on growing waistlines early

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Japan cracks down on growing waistlines early

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 am

Seems like the Japanese government will impose several courses of action to decrease people's weight.

I got a very mixed reaction from this. On the one hand, I think it's funny that the government would go to that sort of length. On the other, I don't think that a government should have that kind of control over someone's personal life. And, on that elusive third arm, that I have tucked away in my shirt, I think that using force makes sense (well, certainly, if it were in regard to the American population).

Makes me wonder about the future of Sumo wrestling, though. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: Japan cracks down on growing waistlines early

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:I got a very mixed reaction from this. On the one hand, I think it's funny that the government would go to that sort of length. On the other, I don't think that a government should have that kind of control over someone's personal life.

The government and therefore the people of Japan are paying the additional costs of these people being overweight. The government bureaucrats have a responsibility to cut costs, so controlling people's lives becomes the simplest measure.

If you wonder why people in the US are angry about sociallized medicine, this is one reason. Japan is a democracy too and the hospitals are government owned/run.
Chief Book and Wottlecasher of the Principality of Vhrool
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:48 pm

This is one of those things that make me inclined to merely chuckle and move on with my life.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Acey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am

I understand a country having its citizens' physical well being high on their priorities, but using waist size as a barometer is an inherently flawed means of identifying overweight or unhealthy people.

I've always been slim and currently I'm a thin as a rail. Yet I'm not nearly as fit as say, four years ago when I used have the chance to exercise far more regularly than I do today due to work concerns. And back then, I ate more, weighed more and was generally fitter.

It's not perfect, but calculating a person's BMI would be a much better gauge of their fitness than waist size.
Timotei. Timotei... Timotei?

"Call me Ace 'Acey' Metallium."
"Call Me Rhea"
Acey
Moon Queen Emeritus

Postby Neko- » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Well... Wow is just about all I can say...
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk