Ranma techniques to D&D 4e powers: anyone want to help?

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Ranma techniques to D&D 4e powers: anyone want to help?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:58 pm

I know this topic does relate to Ranma 1/2, but I assumed this would be the best place to put it. As is fairly obvious, I'm a big fan of Ranma 1/2, and I also happen to enjoy Dungeons & Dragons. A playtest for the Monk, D&D's traditional class based upon the "martial artist" seen in Ranma 1/2 and similar anime, has been released and I found that I could actually see at least some of the techniques (if not their names) actually fitting into Ranma 1/2. But then I began to wonder; was the reverse true? Could some of the special techniques from Ranma 1/2 be converted into Monk techniques for use in Dungeons & Dragons? So, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here if anyone would mind discussing the possibilities with me.

For the curious, while I wouldn't strictly call Ranma and co any one D&D class, I would say that Ranma, Ryoga, Mousse and Genma are all at varying points of the Paragon tier, the fiancees and Kuno are High Heroic/Bottom Paragon tier, Happosai, the Musk & Cologne are at least Bottom Epic tier, and Saffron was well into Epic tier.

::EDIT::
Renamed to be more clear as per the suggestion of Locke69
Last edited by SpaceKnight of Chaos on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranma techniques to D&D powers: anyone want to help?

Postby Locke69 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 pm

You may have wanted to clarify that you're talking about 4th edition D&D.

As for designing Ramna's entire known skill set into a 4th edition D&D class... could be interesting.

Edit: With a suggestion from a friend, I'm going be basing most of my suggestions from the Warlock class.
Ranma 1/2 canon is Swiss cheese. Please refer to the Manga only when talking about canon.

More likely to be found on lurking then posting.
Locke69
Senshi Candidate

Postby Cheb » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:58 pm

I heard that the thing that fits him perfectly is the "Dervish" class. Stumbled onto it while translating "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever".
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 pm

I would like to note that creating powers in 4e such that they are balanced to the game is a difficult thing. It takes months for even a single class to be properly developed.

That said, you need at least four at will attack powers. Along with a name to call this class.

I'd say make all of the nerima martial artists the same class.. just make their abilities choices on the power lists.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Ranma techniques to D&D 4e powers: anyone want to help?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 pm

I was thinking more the special techniques- Amaguriken, Shishi Hokodan, Bakusai Tenketsu, that sort of thing, but thanks for speaking up, particularly pointing out I should clarify I mean for 4th edition. And yeah, the Warlock would be the best bet- it's a Striker, just like the Monk is going to be.

Er, actually, Sailor Sedai, I wasn't thinking of making a "Nerimite Martial Artist" class or anything like that- I was more wondering if it would be possible to create 4e powers for the Monk based on the special techniques of Ranma 1/2. Though a Ranma 1/2 based class would be a nice thing to dream about...

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Locke69 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 am

Oh... Just add new powers to the base Monk class. *Boots up WotC's character builder*

Well, first thing that comes to my mind for creating new powers to be added:

• Need a new Monastic Tradition or three.
  • We'll need to define what levels these powers would become available at.
  • Define if each power is an At-Will, Encounter, or Daily.
  • Define if any of them should be of the Utility category.
  • Mechanically figure out what each would do within the ruleset.
  • Rebalance the powers as what they are.

And now I need some more sleep.
Ranma 1/2 canon is Swiss cheese. Please refer to the Manga only when talking about canon.

More likely to be found on lurking then posting.
Locke69
Senshi Candidate

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 pm

My own thoughts on powers... this is an incomplete list at best, simply being off the top of my head...

The Kachu Tenshin Amaguriken is such a basic technique that I could fairly easily see it as an At-Will level power. I know that technically it's merely a strike-speed increase training method, but both manga and anime have Ranma use a "volley of rapid-fire fisticuffs" style move after learning it- the anime might be the only canon to have him call out the Amaguriken's name when he does so, but both canons still handle it in a way that works like a power in 4e. The big problem is that all Monk At-Wills have a secondary Movement Technique- even Dragon's Tail and Five Wings. Wait a minute... I think I might be approaching this in the wrong manner. Now that I stop and think about it, the Amaguriken could just be a form of Flurry of Blows associated with a specific Monastic Tradition, akin to the Centered Flurry of Blows from the playtest.

The Bakusai Tenketsu I see as being less a power and more of a "feat power"- purchase the Bakusai Tenketsu Training Paragon tier feat, and you can replace a Utility power of the appropriate level with a Bakusai Tenketsu At-Will Utility. And yes, it is actually possible to have Utilities that are usable At-Will; the Sorcerer has Dominant Winds, at level 16, and the Monk has Spider Technique, at level 10. In fact, I'd personally say that, in D&D terms, Ranma has Spider Technique as one of his Utilities. Anyway, I see the feat as giving the Monk a +1 or +2 (depending on level) bonus to Armour Class and to Fortitude defense, representing the 'natural armour & boosted stamina' of the training, and a power that can be used to gain a Burrow speed... not quite sure how else to cover the "smash inanimate matter by touching it" aspect of the training.

Moko Takabisha and Shi Shi Hokodan are more or less the same move. These are both Ranged attacks that do Force damage and, possibly, Push the target as well. Ryoga's Ultimate Shi Shi Hokodan would be a higher level and be a Close Burst instead of merely ranged.

Hiryu Shoten Ha... no idea.

Hmm… I figure we’ll only focus on the “real” techniques (aka, not stuff like the Parlay du Foie Gras), but should we only use the ones from the main characters, or also ones from other characters, like Herb’s flying ki blade attack (don’t recall the name), Prince Toma’s Mystic Illusion Chaos Strike, Genma’s Umisenken and Yamasenken schools, etcetera?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:29 pm

I've had the PHB 3 for a while, but I only just now thought of this topic. Anyone want to give it a go, now that the 4e Monk is out and availible for comparison? From the actual techniques in the game, it doesn't look like the Ranma 1/2 techniques would be too powerful... I mean, actual techniques in this game include Mist on the Storm (you can literally phase through enemies and obstacles), Phoenix Dance (you surround yourself in a phoenix-shaped aura of energy and attack multiple foes), Way of the Autumn Wind (your aura chills the air around you so much that you freeze all enemies nearby when you manifest it), Spider Technique (you can walk on walls and the ceilings as fast as you can walk on solid ground - and this is an At-Will Utility), and Deadly Cobra Strike (your blow turns the victim's ki inwards so it becomes poison to them)...

So, anyone interested? Wonder if we can maybe make a Paragon Path or two using Ranma as an inspiration...

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Hmm... would folks like me to post up some actual, straight-from-the-book Monk powers just for comparison's sake, in order to better get an idea of what any given Ranma 1/2 technique may look like? I'm quite sure they could fit, it's just I'm not sure where or even how, all that much.

I'll say this beforehand, but the D&D Monk is a very mobile fighter. Many, if not all, of its attack powers are either Full Disciplines (basically, you can use the same power to both move and attack - it is said that these represent actual styles, such as Five Dragons), Stances or just have a movement effect built in. Ranma and Ryoga really seem like good Centered Wind and Stonefist style Monks, to me.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk