Books for a roadtrip.

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Books for a roadtrip.

Postby dposse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Im going on a trip with my family to visit a aunt in a few weeks. the trip is going to take about six hours one way, so i'll need to keep myself entertained. Can anyone recommend me a book(s) that i could find at my local library in the mystery/detective/suspense (Dan Brown style)/dystopian(i read 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Clockwork Orange) genres?

Also, has anyone read The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason? also, does anyone like Robert Ludlum's other spy thrillers that are not the classic Bourne trilogy?

My buddy Spokavriel enjoys this forum, so i thought id give it a chance. :)

thanks!!!

Don't fear the Reaper(s).
dposse
Senshi Candidate

Re: Books for a roadtrip.

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:49 pm

And yet you pose another question which I am incapable of assisting with. At least this time you didn't PM it at me and other people can try to help too ;)
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

dposse wrote:Im going on a trip with my family to visit a aunt in a few weeks. the trip is going to take about six hours one way, so i'll need to keep myself entertained. Can anyone recommend me a book(s) that i could find at my local library in the mystery/detective/suspense (Dan Brown style)/dystopian(i read 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Clockwork Orange) genres?

I am a huge fan of the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. They're popular detective stories, so getting them at the library is easy. The only problem with the later books in the series is that they refer to earlier books. Patterson's Maximum Ride series seems to not be as well recieved as either the Cross or Murder Club series despite the different intended audience.

If I remember correctly, Michael Crichton's "A Case of Need" was fairly good but written under a pen name, "Timeline" (the movie sucked and ruined the book for many) was great, and my brother really liked "Airframe". They went closer to the suspense category.

Don't waste your time on Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress". It's terrible.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby dposse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Sky wrote:
I am a huge fan of the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. They're popular detective stories, so getting them at the library is easy. The only problem with the later books in the series is that they refer to earlier books. Patterson's Maximum Ride series seems to not be as well recieved as either the Cross or Murder Club series despite the different intended audience.

If I remember correctly, Michael Crichton's "A Case of Need" was fairly good but written under a pen name, "Timeline" (the movie sucked and ruined the book for many) was great, and my brother really liked "Airframe". They went closer to the suspense category.

Don't waste your time on Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress". It's terrible.

I personally love all of Dan Brown's works and i'm looking for more of his type of literature.

dposse
Senshi Candidate

Postby dposse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Spokavriel wrote: And yet you pose another question which I am incapable of assisting with. At least this time you didn't PM it at me and other people can try to help too ;)

well, if you were going on a 12 hour round trip (not including the two days ill be spending there), what books would you like to read?

dposse
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:42 pm

For that short a trip I tend to toss C. S. Lewis or a couple Animorph books in my pocket. I had to stop carrying along my Star Trek books because the covers were getting worn off. Same with my Star Wars books.

If you know your reading speed (I can read all of the Chronicles of Narnia in 15 hours) then make sure you have at least as many pages on hand as you have travel time.

You can even clock yourself if you don't know it. Take a book you know you like and can read quickly Set an alarm clock and make notes of what page you are on when the clock goes off. Reset the clock for another hour and do that 3-5 times and make an average.

Running out of books to read isn't too bad but at least that could make it a little less guessing at how much you should have.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:01 am

dposse wrote:Im going on a trip with my family to visit a aunt in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend me a book(s) that i could find at my local library in the mystery/detective/suspense (Dan Brown style)/dystopian(i read 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Clockwork Orange) genres?

Brave New World and Animal farm are definitely in the Dystopian camp. You could bug everyone and get a copy of War and Peace to read. I lent my copy to a coworker who complained about the 2 hour wait in the doctor's office beyond his appointment. He was amazed that sitting there reading that book, suddenly the doctor was only 15-20 minutes late. Then I had to explain the joke to him. He kept the book until he'd read it all.
Chief Book and Wottlecasher of the Principality of Vhrool
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:12 pm

For mystery there's always Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Shelock Holmes books or Rex Stout's Nero Wolf books. They tend to be short so you might want to find an omnibus edition or get multiple books by either author.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby dposse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

camk4evr wrote:For mystery there's always Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Shelock Holmes books or Rex Stout's Nero Wolf books. They tend to be short so you might want to find an omnibus edition or get multiple books by either author.

I read all of Sherlock Holmes. I was addicted to it when i was younger.

dposse
Senshi Candidate

Return to Other Talk