Fire Emblem

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Fire Emblem

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:14 pm

So... Anyone hereabouts like this video game series? I'm curious since it's been on my mind, lately; what with putting a tabletop version together and all.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Table top?

I've played Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, and am slowly working my way through Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon.

I love the Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn games, and the soundtrack of Radiant Dawn is the best I've ever heard from a console game. You'll find yourself attached to certain characters and I think they have great replay value, although the story in Radiant Dawn is slightly weaker than Path of Radiance.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 am

Yeah, I get attached to certain characters (Like Marcia and Lethe), myself. Which is why Radiant Dawn disappointed me, since it made it hard to spend quality time with a lot of characters; or made them completely useless (whether or not due to the fact that you only have a few chapters to level them up). That, and most (if not all) of the laguz characters, with the exception of the royals, were virtually neutered.

The continuing story was so-so, in my opinion; in comparison to its predecessor. Then again, Path of Radiance, as far as I can tell, had a better story than in the games before it, that I've played (I've only played as far back as six).

I honestly can't say that I noticed the music, though. It never caught my attention. Well, it's not like I can really remember the music, anyway, so... I'd have to play it again to find out, with the music in mind.

Sky wrote:Table top?

Yeah. Thanks to Stacy I have something that can take care of the RNG system. (So there's no need for an attempt to replicate it with dice.) The rest is pretty standard paperwork. I reckon that the most tedious parts will be in drawing up a field map with a grid (for positional reference) and putting together a bunch of stats for enemies.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Yeah, I get attached to certain characters (Like Marcia and Lethe), myself. Which is why Radiant Dawn disappointed me, since it made it hard to spend quality time with a lot of characters; or made them completely useless (whether or not due to the fact that you only have a few chapters to level them up). That, and most (if not all) of the laguz characters, with the exception of the royals, were virtually neutered.

You have to spend a decent amount of time on any laguz character in either game to make them effective, although Ranulf in Radiant Dawn gets fairly decent in later stages. However, you are forced to use him in some levels.

I'll admit, I'm partial to Mia and Nephenee in both games, and Astrid in Path of Radiance. They're downright lethal if you spend time with them, and I haven't managed to get the same results out of Marcia or Lethe. It depends on your style of play.

Yeah. Thanks to Stacy I have something that can take care of the RNG system. (So there's no need for an attempt to replicate it with dice.) The rest is pretty standard paperwork. I reckon that the most tedious parts will be in drawing up a field map with a grid (for positional reference) and putting together a bunch of stats for enemies.

Serenes Forest has stats on everything Fire Emblem related as well as miscellaneous downloads.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Sky wrote:You have to spend a decent amount of time on any laguz character in either game to make them effective, although Ranulf in Radiant Dawn gets fairly decent in later stages. However, you are forced to use him in some levels.

Well, yeah. But it was much easier to deal with the difference in experience gain in Path of Radiance than Radiant Dawn. I thought it'd be awesome to have Lethe and her sister Lyre as a part of my main forces, but to do so would have taken ridiculously ludicrous means. Aside from the lack of chapters to level them up, being at a poor level and stats for the opposition (well, Lethe was alright in the second part of the game), and how costly it is to level them up with bonus experience... It just wasn't worth it. It would have been too costly, and too much work, and wouldn't have bore the kind of result you'd expect from all of it.

I'll admit, I'm partial to Mia and Nephenee in both games, and Astrid in Path of Radiance. They're downright lethal if you spend time with them, and I haven't managed to get the same results out of Marcia or Lethe. It depends on your style of play.

I was partial to them, too. I managed to raise most of them well enough in Radiant Dawn; especially Nephenee. But the developers didn't leave much choice with Astrid, and I had to abandon the idea of raising her up. I just couldn't see it happening. It really ticks me off. I know the game was just being sensible in following logic in the game, but I much prefer the setup in the previous games, where, once they join, they're more likely to be available to you for the rest of the game than not. At least, to me, that's a big part of what I liked with the series, since the stories are usually rather plain and character development, for most characters, doesn't go much beyond introductions.

Now, Mist, on the other hand... I have been blessed in both games. I get the challenge of leveling her up, hoping for good stats, and having the opportunity to do so. I probably focus more on her than any other character, between both games. I've always liked valkyries, but they usually gain the use of magic instead of swords. While Mist probably would have been better off with magic, it's interesting to use swords. Especially in the first game, when you get a hold of magic sword. I was able to max out all of her stats (aside from luck) in Path of Radiance, gave her some wind-elemental sword and that rune sword thingy, and she could own anything. Although it disappointed me when I couldn't find a magical sword for her in Radiant Dawn, because I thought that really made her shine, since other weapon users can't take advantage of magical weapons (well, the swords, at least) like she could. But it's still worth it, since she's tough to hit, has a good chance of landing a critical, and can also act as a healer on the front lines. That's how she turns out for me, anyway. I really like her for her flexibility, overall, though.

Serenes Forest has stats on everything Fire Emblem related as well as miscellaneous downloads.

"Miscellaneous" downloads, eh? ;p But, yeah, I may have been there. But I think I have what I need already. I just need to type it all up into a short but comprehensive guide.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Well, yeah. But it was much easier to deal with the difference in experience gain in Path of Radiance than Radiant Dawn. I thought it'd be awesome to have Lethe and her sister Lyre as a part of my main forces, but to do so would have taken ridiculously ludicrous means. Aside from the lack of chapters to level them up, being at a poor level and stats for the opposition (well, Lethe was alright in the second part of the game), and how costly it is to level them up with bonus experience... It just wasn't worth it. It would have been too costly, and too much work, and wouldn't have bore the kind of result you'd expect from all of it.

Radiant Dawn suffered from a decent amount of playable character creep from Path of Radiance - Sanaki and the Kings are the first to come to mind - and it seemed like they brought back characters "just because".

I was partial to them, too. I managed to raise most of them well enough in Radiant Dawn; especially Nephenee. But the developers didn't leave much choice with Astrid, and I had to abandon the idea of raising her up. I just couldn't see it happening. It really ticks me off. I know the game was just being sensible in following logic in the game, but I much prefer the setup in the previous games, where, once they join, they're more likely to be available to you for the rest of the game than not. At least, to me, that's a big part of what I liked with the series, since the stories are usually rather plain and character development, for most characters, doesn't go much beyond introductions.

Astrid was effectively neutered. You get that one level where you're almost completely dependent on the paladins to bail you out, but aside from that, I didn't use her much, even if I was moving Paragon around.

My fiancee is not a huge fan of the switching from one team that is gloriously underpowered but has tons of cash and another team that's powerful but can barely sustain itself. It provided a different challenge, because you bring characters like Micaiah and Edward from essentially nothing into something, while you get a chance to turn Soren into something epic.

As for me, I tend to play Fire Emblem like I play chess, and that doesn't map well to Radiant Dawn. I had a really hard time (or took a very long time) through the game because of that.

Now, Mist, on the other hand... I have been blessed in both games. I get the challenge of leveling her up, hoping for good stats, and having the opportunity to do so. I probably focus more on her than any other character, between both games. I've always liked valkyries, but they usually gain the use of magic instead of swords. While Mist probably would have been better off with magic, it's interesting to use swords. Especially in the first game, when you get a hold of magic sword. I was able to max out all of her stats (aside from luck) in Path of Radiance, gave her some wind-elemental sword and that rune sword thingy, and she could own anything. Although it disappointed me when I couldn't find a magical sword for her in Radiant Dawn, because I thought that really made her shine, since other weapon users can't take advantage of magical weapons (well, the swords, at least) like she could. But it's still worth it, since she's tough to hit, has a good chance of landing a critical, and can also act as a healer on the front lines. That's how she turns out for me, anyway. I really like her for her flexibility, overall, though.

You've been lucky. I've had the complete opposite experience with Mist. Maybe I'll replay both and use her instead of Rhys.

"Miscellaneous" downloads, eh?

Wallpapers, soundtracks, walkthroughs, etc. Probably not what you're thinking :P
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Return to Other Talk