Photo of a herbivorous mosquito!

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Photo of a herbivorous mosquito!

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:45 am

My friend timewind has friends who luckily always have a pro-quality camera on themselves.
So when mosquito attacked the melon they were eating and began sucking up its juice... :shock: Well, the photo is on this page:

http://timewind.livejournal.com/269826.html
or
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:29 am

Mosquitos are vegetarian, they feed on nectar. The females suck blood to reproduce.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:20 am

Then why this one, clearly a sanguivorous female, sucked juice from melon? :shock:
On the other hand, who ever debugged the mosquito targeting algorithms? It could have been a rare bug that didn't get ironed out by evolution because it hardly affects the overall survival rate.

Or was I wrong? I thought, the mosquito males are several times smaller so people usually don't even think of them as of mosquitoes.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:32 pm

No, the male mosquitoes are much larger than the female. At least the ones we have over here.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

I got bitten by a male mosquito once I think it did it out of panic because I was trying to shoo it away. It itched at least 20 times worse than usual female bites.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Just to drive in the point of Daniel Jess Gibson:

Also female mosquitos feed on nectar/fruit juices; I recall seeing a TV documentary (late '80s or early '90s) where they showed how mosquitos have two 'stomaches', one for nectar/fruit juice and one for blood. The mosquito they had recorded had just drunk some nectar/fruit juice and then some blood, which showed the two stomaches pretty clearly with light passing through the insect. However, as I tried to look for a good photo of this, I couldn't find any site to corroborate my memory whether this was true or not (the part of two stomaches, that is; I found other sites that say also female mosquitos drink nectar and fruit juices).

A possibly relevant question+answer from Yahoo! Answers; believe if you want.

Edit: I'm now pretty certain that TV documentary was wrong about the two stomaches; I still haven't found any information to support the claim.
Last edited by Kadunta on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
-- E.M.Cioran, "All Gall Is Divided", translation by Richard Howard
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Wow :shock: You never know... :D
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:43 am

Personally, the only thing I find fascinating about the mosquito is what it looks like after it's been swatted.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:56 am

CRBWildcat wrote:Personally, the only thing I find fascinating about the mosquito is what it looks like after it's been swatted.

I don't. Because then I have to clean up. And I hate spiders even more than mosqutoes. I love to to see those beasties disappear inside the vacuum cleaner.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:20 pm

To each his own, I suppose.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk