Cheb wants to make fansubs for the Soviet animation classics

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Would you download Cheb's fansub for the Soviet animation classics

Yes
25%
Yes
25%
No
25%
No
25%

Total votes : 8

Cheb wants to make fansubs for the Soviet animation classics

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:28 pm

I'd like to try myself in making fansubs for the old Soviet cartoons.

I know, this is kind of a wrong forum, but this is the only English-speaking forum where I have any contacts.

So, *before* I start the tedious task of copy-pasting the timing fields from Avidemux to the text editor, I'd like to know: would anyone here feel heroic enough to download the 300-Mb AVI to watch it?

I will seed it with torrent indefinitely, but my connection is very limited in speed (15 kilobytes/s) so the first one to try should have a ton of patience.

I'd like to make The Mystery of the 3rd Planet the first victim of my fledging skills. Wikipedia says it doesn't have a version with English subs and original soundtrack (it has been dubbed and the music replaced when it was released in the US).

Image ***** Image

I will seed it in three flavours: 600Mb, 300Mb and 150Mb (crunch, crunch), each in 640x480 resolution. The film itself is 47 minutes long.

My fansubbing experience includes making Russian subs for Ranma TV, 1st and 2nd season (made from English subs), Russian subs for a few episodes of Sailor Moon (again, based on the English subs and my meager knowledge of Japanese)
Last edited by Cheb on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby EdenB » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Voting no.

It could be interesting to see, but for me at least it'd not be worth it for a 700MB file, downloading over such a slow connection and having to find a way to set up DC++ successfully.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:08 pm

I would except I don't even know that connection software. If you put it out using Megaupload or torrent it I'd be willing to spend a whole month on torrent and then keep seeding after words. If everyone seeded to a share ratio of 2 then no torrent would ever die.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:34 pm

but for me at least it'd not be worth it for a 700MB file, downloading over such a slow connection

Well, I could increase my ISP connection speed 5 times -- but then I'd have to pay 1.5 times more a month... Cheb is stingy.

or torrent

I'd also like to make it a torrent. I just know DC++ better (it being the primary sharing app in our LAN). Guess I have to learn how to make my own torrents then.
The downside is that with torrents I can seed only one file at a time, while with DC++ I can add some other movie later, and seed them simultaneously.

AFAIK, DC++ is similar to IRC (I've never seen a live IRC before, mind you) but more powerful. The users connect via "hubs", each with its own chat, it supports private messages and search. In short, a very useful thing, if a bit of a resource hog.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:43 pm

You should get to know torrent a little better. Although chat isn't always integrated you can just as easily be set up to track any number of torrents and still keep it as yourself and the people DLing without a Hub beyond your tracker page where people could get the initial torrent file.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:22 pm

700 megs is a bit heavy for me- at least for one episode. I usually have doubts when it hits 300 megs for a typicial anime episode. Even Heroes tends to be 300-400 per 45 min episode.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:35 pm

I just saved Dumbo as a 649,970KB file without special compression just Mpeg 2 An hour and four min.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:11 pm

I usually have doubts when it hits 300 megs for a typicial anime episode.

Unfortunately, it's a pre-digital era film (1981), the picture is noisy and the picture "wobbles" a bit, making it impossible to compress cleanly. Just like the Sailor Moon TV - makes the compression algorithm's life hell and consumes twice as much bandwidth as the modern cartoons/anime.

I'll do what I can (it needs re-ripping from the DVD anyway, the AVI I have is damaged in places). It's either filters or I have to make two versions, one normal one highly compressed.

The movie length is 47 minutes.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Talk about morons. The AVI had a non-converted 5.1 sound track ripped directly from dvd -- ithat took exactly half of the file size. For the sound that was originally *mono*. So, only the properaudio conversion can decrease the file size to 400 megs - and I can also recompress it with some nifty filters.
So, 300Mb is a possibility.

More on that later.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 am

I'd suggest going the youtube route. Create a low-resolution AVI, break it into 15-minute sections, and post the sections on youtube. That'll give your potential audience a more accessible way of viewing the result, and you'll only use your bandwidth once when you upload it to their server. That saves you money because you won't have an unknown number of people hitting your server and using up bandwidth for a week at a time trying to download it.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 am

So they increased the limit to 15 min? Last time I read the TOS on free hosting it was still at 10 min. segments.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 am

My mistake. I didn't know that there was a cap at 10 minutes.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:12 am

It's a soft cap but if you exceed it consistantly they will suspend or delete the account. Premium accounts don't have the limit.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:22 am

I cannot bring myself to mutilate a perfect DVD resolution video into low resolution. I saw what YouTUBE does (shudder).
Maybe a preview there, but nothing more than that.

Mind you, I plan to make it a *soft*sub (i.e. as a separate *.SRT file)

have an unknown number of people hitting your server and using up bandwidth for a week at a time trying to download it.

The bandwidth is not a problem for me. I use the so called "unlimited" tariff, with fixed payment/month, unlimited bandwidth but artifically limited speed. It's approx. $10/month for the 15Kbytes/s connection and another $10/month for the real IP address. Tee another limitation is no more than 10 connection a time. That's why I'd prefer DC++, it allows to control the number of upload slots.

Long story short, here's the progress report:
- 6 minutes of 47 subbed (still needs a good editing, though).
- the video ripped from DVD anew (the AVI I had was unsalvageable). Again, it needs some processing since each of the three chunks has its own random audio skew.

I estimate the completion date as somewhere this weekend.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 am

You can control all the same aspects in torrent if you get the right software.

And as for what YouTube does to videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oifs6ulpd9A

Here's one I have up there I admit it's from TV but the quality is identical to the original.

It all comes down to knowing what you are doing when you are putting up the file.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Other Talk