Spamville Do's and Don'ts

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Postby Neko- » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:28 am

You'd want a bit of confusion in the rules... Mostly so people WILL overstep the guidelines given, releasing untold volumes of pain, mayhem and disaster upon their unsuspecting head... Or whatever they have that is supposed to substitute as such... :D
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Possible new rule... It's been noted on Spamville that so-called 'God Modding' is frowned upon.

As to the definition of said 'God Modding':

"God Modding" is in essence when someone’s character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. And example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.

-It can be killing or injuring a character without the player's express permission.
-It can be when they simply can’t be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-It can also be using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they’re not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they’ve made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It’s a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it’s offensive to boot.

This is a prime example of God Modding:

Player A: Punches Player B
Player B: Dodges attack, grabs Player A and throws him. Player A flies at Player B, who warps behind him and slashes Player A in the back.

The above was quoted from a website, and is by no means a personal attack against anyone on fukufics! If you find it applies to you, it is by no means an attack on your person, but should point something out to you.

Please note that using familiars, pets, droids or whatnot (which are most likely also controlled by you) te provide situational changes to guide a situation to a certain outcome can also be considered as a possible 'god modding' attempt.

As such it should be avoided at all times. Fail to comply with this rule and you will have your head bitten off... There are some people on the forums that will do that (personally I had it done to me aswell) :)

Second possible new rule: Try and keep the usage of familiars to a minimum, if possible just for comic relief. Keeping track of multiple physical identities with each their own set of physical characteristics which are all posted by one and the same person will eventually get confusing. Best to avoid this :) Using multiple mental identities however should not be a problem.

Any voting, thoughts and comments on these two are welcome :D
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:35 pm

Well I kinda agree on the god modding part but when it comes to characters. I kinda made a mistake having characters at all but I like them and intend to keep them. As for being 2 Spok's that are completely unrelated other than playing them well I hadn't planned on it but I don't want the "Characters" in multiple places at once so to keep from being completely left out of other things I ended up comming allong the way I should have in the first place.

Think it helps me having 2 persona's that are part cabbit?

TintElen was always going to be there but more as support unable to really do much and the EMH was a sideeffect. I really wish someone else would take him.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:25 am

My familiar rarely pops up and usually it is while I am not present that she does. As such, I don't think familiars are really off limits. As for god-modding, all those definitions fit what I define it as, which is why I avoid doing any of those things and so I have no problem with it.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:43 am

Granted... Familiars make for an interesting bit, but they do tend to invite the possibility of putting more power forth than would be good... It kinda depends on how they're used I suppose.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Siden » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Neko- wrote:Granted... Familiars make for an interesting bit, but they do tend to invite the possibility of putting more power forth than would be good... It kinda depends on how they're used I suppose.

Agreed Neko. That, an it just gets confusing when you have one person controlling multiple characters per thread. Soon you lose track of who is doing what.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:34 pm

One problem I had with too many characters in the same thread at the same time is that it is too easy to type monster posts of them just talking amongst themselves.

It could even turn into an impromptu fanfic chapter if you have enough characters on just one person.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I have no problem with people using multiple characters since we can't really create multiple log-ins for our other characters. Keep in mind I have been rather nice since I actually have nearly 20 characters I could have popping up at any time but so far you have all only seen 13 of them.
Princess of Charon
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Siden » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 am

Rei-chan wrote:I have no problem with people using multiple characters since we can't really create multiple log-ins for our other characters. Keep in mind I have been rather nice since I actually have nearly 20 characters I could have popping up at any time but so far you have all only seen 13 of them.

Why not try picking a different text colour per character and sticking with that?
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:40 am

Siden wrote:Why not try picking a different text colour per character and sticking with that?

For one, It's a pain trying to remember more than 5 colors. Another reason? it's slightly difficult remembering who is supposed to be doing what, and ho knows what.
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Siden wrote:Why not try picking a different text colour per character and sticking with that?
Lord Aries Greymon wrote:
For one, It's a pain trying to remember more than 5 colors. Another reason? it's slightly difficult remembering who is supposed to be doing what, and ho knows what.

I can personaly vouch for that
So can Raven
And Spok the Caitian
Not to mention Tint'Elen
And the EMH
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:08 pm

I don't do color tags.
Princess of Charon
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Siden » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm gone for nearly three months and not a single suggestion? I guess we're just that good, eh Boss. Rei.
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:46 pm

May want to update and fix the links...even aceys place has changed/moved/deleted...@.@
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Spamville Do's and Don'ts

Postby Siden » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Fixed some broken links and a few selling mistakes.

Wow, has it been that long since I checked? Though, most of the time I pop in I do not sign in.
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Previous

Return to Other Talk