Forum erroring upon making posts

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Re: Forum erroring upon making posts

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 am

You might be influencing the total post counter. Its tallied 20 new posts since I loaded it last night. But I just went through the boards and into each thread. I only found 7-9 new posts. Didn't do an exact count because I was reading the threads.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:32 pm

Spokavriel wrote: You might be influencing the total post counter. Its tallied 20 new posts since I loaded it last night. But I just went through the boards and into each thread. I only found 7-9 new posts. Didn't do an exact count because I was reading the threads.

Well... I could not have been the cause in the past, as I only just discovered this ability... as for me being the cause of the total count... I've only used it 3 times today... So doubt I'm the cause of much more than that...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 am

I brought it up because I doubted it added up.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 pm

I can continue this every 10 seconds or so until it states it made the post successfully. Advantage is I do not loose a post that way... But I shudder to think at the potential issues that can introduce into the forums database if done on a consistent basis though

Each request runs as a separate process on the server side. With a properly designed database engine they should either execute without interfering with each other (resulting in a double or triple post) or the first process to start writing blocks all other ones out making them wait until it finishes.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Cheb wrote:Each request runs as a separate process on the server side. With a properly designed database engine they should either execute without interfering with each other (resulting in a double or triple post) or the first process to start writing blocks all other ones out making them wait until it finishes.

Working as a programmer in deaing with back end databases for some 16 years, I know that is how it is *supposed* to work... however, since the request is coming in with identicle parameters while the forum is also in a no/slow respond state, and we are dealing with at a minimum two and more likely at least three database editing/adding requests each button depress it is possible it could cause issues, thus I said potential harm...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 am

As a FYI... forum still doing this for me...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Site Suggestions