Forum erroring upon making posts

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Re: Forum erroring upon making posts

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Spokavriel wrote: When you say Mozilla are you talking Firefox or all the browsers? Because I'm not seeing the same problems with Sea Monkey. Just the screwy post tally that hasn't had a problem for a few days.

You might be misunderstanding me... I *will not* use Mozilla based browsers, particularly Fire Fox, anymore. For me they tend to be buggy, quirky, and crash in oddball ways, IE has been much more reliable and stable... last straw for me with Fire Fox was 3.x... they broke the bookmark manager, it nearly always was taking literally 15+ minutes to import my IE favorites... that was when it did not crash outright and corrupt all the bookmarks and the profile... Fire Fox 2.x did not have that problem...

Opera, in contrast, does it in under 5 seconds with no crashes and a nice box stating 5937 (how many I had earlier when I updated it) favorites imported.

My main beef against Opera may have been corrected in the new version about to come out (12, I'm on 11.5 for now). It always has been slower for me than IE... the new version supposedly will have software and hardware acceleration.

EDIT: Hmmm... Opera did *not* crash just now on hitting the Submit button... but it had a fairly long pause that made me think it was about to do so (long enough that I was able to think that, then scroll back up, select everything in the box, copy to clipboard, and wait some more before the submit finally went through). I wonder if something is occasionally timing out when that button is hit.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Whatever works for people, I guess. I stopped using IE for browsing years ago after I had one too many issues getting the stupid thing to cooperate with me. Nowadays, I don't have a choice regarding what browser I use; my Internet-connected computer does have a Windows OS, but only under my dad's account and not mine.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 am

I've been using Firefox since a short time after it was first released and I've never had any problems with anything ever. On a related note, I'm not having any problems doing anything around the forums, aside from the occasional load times that tend to drag.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 am

The forum just lost posts again. Really hope someone is checking the lower numbers of the database. I fear we may be losing some history.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:36 pm

That's the problem. I don't know. But the tally of total posts is going down at odd times and they aren't gone from Spamville.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Huh. Haven't seen anything going missing.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Sunshine wrote:Huh. Haven't seen anything going missing.

I do not pay close enough attention to the post counts to notice, but wonder if there is not some odd database issue at the heart of it all since my own issues with the Submit button and Spokavriel's issues with the post counts started about the same time.

I state that as since even with my using Opera and not IE, the forum randomly really lags upon hitting that Submit button as if something is almost timing out...

Of the posts made so far by me in the last couple days on Opera, one was quick, one was pretty slow, and one was very, very, very slow, and a Edit post and then hit Submit button had the same type of deal, all other actions have been normal speed, though all other actions were normal under IE as well.

So far the random slowness on the Submit button is same for Opera and IE for me. No crashes under Opera yet when hitting the Submit button though, which may be only due to a difference in how timeouts (if that is what is causing the non-responsive or long states are) are being handled.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Would the post count thing be related to why my first generation account lost six posts?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Its possible. After all you can't count something that has vanished.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

All I know is that the post count stays the same when posts are pruned, so I don't know what would have to vanish to affect the number.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Well... this is annoying... I cannot get into this forum at all right now using IE, as the main page is timing out.

On the other hand, can get into it just fine with Opera...

Will try clearing my cache and temp files again... but note I did so last night, so they should be fairly clear...
Last edited by PCHeintz72 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:25 pm

What version of IE? I just checked on IE8 and that works for me (Win XP).
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Sunshine wrote:What version of IE? I just checked on IE8 and that works for me (Win XP).

IE9 under Win7 64bit

Do not know if it cleared itself up, or i really did have something in my temp/cache files preventing it, but can get in under IE now...

Submit button issue under IE9 is still there, just lost this post due to it.

As for this last week... using Opera has been sporadic performance wise in regards to this forum... I had no crashes on posts... BUT sometimes it *is* still having a long delay upon hitting Submit. I'm inclinded to believe my earlier statement thinking there is *something* wacky causing a intermittent timeout to be tripped upon hitting that button.

Edited.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:25 am

I discovered both an additional piece to the puzzle and a dangerous potential workaround.

The additional piece of the puzzle:

I activated my status bar in IE9... Upon hitting submit it notes it is waiting for a response to the Fukfics server... if it gets the response the post is made and your get returned to the forum, if not it times out and says page cannot be displayed.

The dangerous potential workaround:

Discovered through experimentation.... and quite surprised the forum is not protected against this specific potential workaround. Though I dislike the idea for a couple of reasons, tops would be what it might be doing to the forum...

If I hit Submit, and see it sitting there after about 10 seconds still waiting for the forum to respond ... I can hit Submit again.... and it reissues the request... I can continue this every 10 seconds or so until it states it made the post successfully. Advantage is I do not loose a post that way...

But I shudder to think at the potential issues that can introduce into the forums database if done on a consistent basis though. Really, the Submit button, once hit, should be greyed out to prevent doubled requests and potential database errors and corruption upon attempting to write duplicate records or create multiple of same record.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Site Suggestions