Trying one more time. Rank Recalibration Proposal.

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Would you like to have the Proposed Rank Post count changes?

I like what we have now.
11%
I like what we have now.
11%
I like the new proposed levels.
5%
I like the new proposed levels.
5%
I would rather keep the current levels below 1000 and change the rest.
3%
I would rather keep the current levels below 1000 and change the rest.
3%
The last revision seems best.
5%
The last revision seems best.
5%
I don't care its not like it matters.
26%
I don't care its not like it matters.
26%

Total votes : 38

Trying one more time. Rank Recalibration Proposal.

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I didn't continue the previous thread because I have no idea how to reset a poll. But this is my last attempt at proposing this.

I just think it would be nice if you have to post more to get a higher level than a previous level. The other thread has my prior, less than an hour, reworkings. But this time I spent a few days thinking about the Senshi titles and ignoring what the current values, aside from the ones for Initiate, Moon Princess and Emperess of the moon, are so that I finally have a proposal that isn't so inane. So here is the current setup and what I am proposing side by side in an image so you can see the differences.
Ranks_Recalibrated_Proposal.PNG
Ranks_Recalibrated_Proposal.PNG (10.86 KiB) Viewed 18128 times

Well it has no repeats and you only have to earn as many posts as the total prior accumulation is in there only once and more than all previous collectively only twice. I know it makes it take allot longer to get the first few ranks so really everything below 1,000 I could easily see going either way. The poll will be set up to let you select multiple(2) options and change your choices if you change your mind.

edit: And please respond you might change my mind.

Edit again: This new image is because of a comment on the progression. I realized I might have gone too far on the jump from Moon Senshi to other senshi Ranks and not leaving a significantly greater leap for the Princess.
Last Revision.PNG
Last Revision.PNG (7.77 KiB) Viewed 18021 times

I'm not sure if I will be able to alter the poll but at least I made it so votes can be changed.
Last edited by Spokavriel on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Trying one more time. Rank Recalibration Proposal.

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 pm

You know you're bored when this is what you spend the day doing.

:(

Honestly I don't even notice the ranks.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Well I'm wondering about one thing atleast... , why is there such a huge jump between Moon Senshi to Prism Power Senshi?

Also, isn't a steadily increasing amount of posts needed for each new level probably better? That way you can smooth things out a bit between very frequent posters and those that post little. It's also a well known method from games to get people to post more, it's kind of equivalent to gaining experience.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Sorry... it seems kind of pointless...

Partially due to fact I really do not care about the ranks on the forums I go to except whom is Moderators and whom is site owners...

Partially due to fact the breakpoints affect relatively few people.

Here is what I mean:

1000-4999
- only roughly 27 fall into this breakpoint (including me)
5000-10999
- only roughly 5 fall into this breakpoint
10000-15999
- only roughly 2 fall into this breakpoint
16000-22999
- only roughly 3 fall into this breakpoint
23000-30999
- only roughly 2 fall into this breakpoint
31000-39999
- only roughly 1 fall into this breakpoint
40000-
- no one has enough to have gained these higher breakpoints
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Looking at my post count and when I registered here...

They don't affect me and the progression isn't obviously broken, so let's not fix it until it becomes obviously broken.

(If anything, I don't see a remote possibility for anyone to reach *any* of the really high ranks without slaving away in Spamville for a year or two.)
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:37 pm

The only reason 1000 is in the list at all is because it use to be the post count for the highest level. Which at that time was Moon Princess.

It is also a transition point from what might be considered training level ranks and posted duty or however you want to think of it. Moon and Above are the transformations found in shows some times loosely but still there.

There's another big progression jump switching from Senshi to Royal levels. It just looks like less of one because the numbers blend in a bit better to the eye. Instead of needing 11,000 like a Senshi Rank up in my list to progress to Princess its 20,000 For some reason the timing of the post count increases just don't make any sense to me in the current advancement.

I mean think about it 0-1000 posts use to one time be the entire rank system. Most usual posters stay in this range. Then come the more vocal minority that hang out in Spamville or have reasons to keep posting for significant portions of a decade so that 1,000 starts to look easy to get to for some.

That is why the next section has the Senshi evolutions. The reason it has you needing to post 4000 times to get to the second Senshi level is because being a Senshi is more difficult than being a normal person. And being a Royal over Senshi is harder than being a Senshi or a Normal person. <There's my reasoning.

But I can't find any reasoning to the progression in the current line. Its just that its easier to keep adding the same I guess... But it doesn't lend much difficulty significance to the titles relative to the other titles.

I wouldn't call it slaving away. But yeah I have been posting in Spamville for years. Moon Princess was a title that use to have significance in Spamville at least for some game style things. Like the Moon Princess Council. Really if it wasn't for Spamville there's not really any reason why the level of posting in this forum would need any levels over 1,000 posts.

Edit: I guess another way of looking at this. Is for right now just about everyone, that any rank over 1,000 would matter to, can tend to burn through the lower senshi levels and be stuck around the mid upper ones for ungodly lengths of time. The change makes it so its progressively longer until it hits Royalty and then you get into the Ungodly who the heck would post that darn much territory.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Eep I was afraid of this.
Altering the poll blanked the results. But I had to change it so that I could offer the revision that Quickshot0 and PCHeintz72's comments inspired.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:34 pm

I like the way it is now. No changes need to be made.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:53 am

Personally, I still prefer them the way they are now, but... whatever. I won't say that the list doesn't look good, though.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Sky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Spokavriel wrote:I wouldn't call it slaving away. But yeah I have been posting in Spamville for years. Moon Princess was a title that use to have significance in Spamville at least for some game style things. Like the Moon Princess Council. Really if it wasn't for Spamville there's not really any reason why the level of posting in this forum would need any levels over 1,000 posts.

It's been a long time, but I used to moderate a forum which had a system like this put in place as well as one of those new fangled reputation systems. The forum also had an area like Spamville, and it inflated post counts to stratospheric levels, and this was compounded by way the reputation system was implemented. It became mathematically impractical for some members to reach some ranks, and the community there wasn't happy with the fact that infrequent posters who gave thoughtful, worthwhile content and additions to the forum were left behind by those who were regulars in the Spamville clone. The eventual solution was to ignore the Spamville clone for the purposes of rank and reputation

That forum will remain nameless.

What you actually describe here is a reason to exclude Spamville from post count (or whatever criteria is used to determine rank), and I think the situations are similar. If Spamville is a driving force for recalibrating the ranks and it's nearly impossible to reach them without Spamville, then perhaps it's time to reconsider (as in "rethink it", not "change your mind") what the community prioritizes, how to reward that, and the best ways to encourage forum members, both old and new.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Spamville is the main place where the post count ranks have had any use besides making the space near the avatar have some decoration.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Like I proposed once before, and not only for this message board, I think it would be a better idea for posts in Spamville to not count toward the post count and lower the highest post count rank to 10,000, which should be more than enough for anyone posting in every other forum. To accommodate that change, the people who are known to have garnered a majority of their post count from Spamville need only search for their posts in the other forums, add up the results, then manually set that as their new post count.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Hmmm...

First some facts, or more facts, since my first post in the thread had a bunch already...

This forum has 710+ members... of them, only 40 or so members have over 1000 posts after this forum was reset over 4 years ago in March of 2006. Or just over 5 1/2 percent, or one in 18 members. Leaving the other 95% or 670 members under that.

So... planning new ranges for members when they hit as high as 100,000 is not really going to benefit the bulk of the users on the forum, and thus getting them enthusiastic is probably unlikely... Note that is not a statement to not do it, moderators and site owners IMHO should not need to ask such things of the members if they feel it is right. In that way of thinking I find this thread odd.

Now... I think a case for Spam-ville as far as counting or not counting it could really be made either way. I myself am indifferent to it, but...

I bet a good large chunk of the users with the larger post counts post in Spam-ville. Its very nature promotes it. Which is neither good nor bad, but the topics I've seen for the most part really have little to do with the forums mission statement or primary purpose. And thus some may feel that posts should not be counted on that basis.

One the other hand, area and counts do not dictate either quality or lack of quality, it merely shows the member posts a lot... and in point of fact, the idea of level of quality applying to mere post counts is kind of elitist. A high or low post count makes little difference in the form of how the person is viewed perceptively.

An ideal situation might be if you could divide out the non-spam-ville posts from the spam-ville ones. Show both, perhaps separated by a slash. I realize since Spam-ville is cleared out it might seem difficult to do that, but initial counts could be found out by merely adding non-spam-ville posts and subtracting that from the total a user has.

Yours for instance using the above methodology might be something like '5500 / 33000' and no, I've no clue what they really are, just a mere example. The rank graphic could take into account either the overall or just the non-spam-ville total if desired and show the correct rank image.

The above is just some miscellaneous thoughts for you.

EDIT: Crecent Pulsar posted his as I was typing mine, but I pretty much agree with some of what he was saying anyway.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Needing more than 10,000 posts for the next level isn't fun when it is a repeated "challenge" I think I'm the only one who can make a claim to that from experience on this board. I know the way things are now my suggestion won't help spread out levels but at least there wouldn't be the repeats that make it feel pointless to me.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm not in the same game as the people in Spamville. I don't think I've made more than a dozen posts there. It might be interesting to subdivide our ranks into Moon Princesses and Spam Princesses; comparing Moon to Spam is very much comparing apples and oranges.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Next

Return to Site Suggestions