Lots o' bots...

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

Lots o' bots...

Postby Konsaki » Sat May 23, 2009 9:10 am

Since the upgrade, I've been seeing Google[bot], Yahoo[bot] and MSN[bot] almost constantly in the 'Who's online' list. Is that normal and expected?
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Lots o' bots...

Postby Spokavriel » Sat May 23, 2009 9:18 am

The bots use to be invisible. And well they were running rampant that way. I think Stacy made a mention of, it being easier to place some controls on them having them registered, in chat.

Edit: What I'm wondering are who would the unregistered guests be now that the bots are registered.

Adding a screenshot. Last I checked Unregistered Guests couldn't make posts.

Odd_Guest_Behavior.PNG
Odd_Guest_Behavior.PNG (70.4 KiB) Viewed 4676 times

Is there any chance hidden members are being listed as guests?

OR are these more bots and possibly spam bots trying to post?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Lots o' bots...

Postby Sky » Sat May 23, 2009 10:02 am

Konsaki wrote:Since the upgrade, I've been seeing Google[bot], Yahoo[bot] and MSN[bot] almost constantly in the 'Who's online' list. Is that normal and expected?

Bots are normal, and at most forums (I won't speak for the admins here), a welcome part of the 'net because the better the bots can index the forum, the better they'll do on search engines and such. Some forum owners will go to great lengths to welcome those bots.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Return to Site Suggestions