New fukufic: Shadow of the Sun: The Dark Side of the Moon

Talk about the "fuku-fics" and other Gender Bender fiction here.
If there is a probable it can be posted here, but a definite fukufic should be PM'd to Sunshine Temple

New fukufic: Shadow of the Sun: The Dark Side of the Moon

Postby frice2000 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:12 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6013291/1/S ... f_the_Moon

Just found this while looking at FF.nets crossover list. It's pretty well written in my opinion. Though it does take place in the past apparently at least to start so Ranma isn't exactly Ranma but that doesn't bother me too much. Still well written and an interesting enough concept though. Even has Nabiki in the mix too which is always one of my favorites to be working with Ranma. The authors only other fic is a pretty well written and quickly updated Ranma/Assassins Creed cross so this new fic has me relatively excited.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Re: New fukufic: Shadow of the Sun: The Dark Side of the Moon

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:59 am

Ah good find. I'll have to give this one a check. I think I've seen it before, but it's early and I might not be remembering.

Will look into this with more detail later today.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Re: New fukufic: Shadow of the Sun: The Dark Side of the Moo

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 am

Sunshine wrote:Ah good find. I'll have to give this one a check. I think I've seen it before, but it's early and I might not be remembering.

Will look into this with more detail later today.

I don't think I've seen this one before, but there's a similar one where Ranma was also present in the Silver Millennium as a kid. This isn't a fukufic yet. Probably next chapter.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby LiliandraNadiar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I thought it was familiar at first as well. But since the display stats say it was posted yesterday, either it was placed up before then pulled and re-written or we're all thinking of another story.
When in danger, or in doubt;
Run in circles, scream and shout
LiliandraNadiar
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 pm

There's another fuku fic with Darkside of the Moon in the title which is by Crescent Pulsar so that's almost assuredly the fic you're all confusing this one with. That is NOT this new fic in the least and it is new as far as I know. Confusing to have two fukufics with very very similar bordering on exactly the same titles heh, but barring being a Fukufic they are not at all similar.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 pm

I just read the story and I recall a similar one, only it got further, specifically Ranma was sent to school on Saturn and was male in the Silver Millenium. I do not recall the particulars though.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:21 pm

That sounds like the one where Ranma is Senshi Nemesis. Or at that time the heir to Senshi Nemesis. Something to do with swapped scrolls one to banish the other to travel to a land of pretty ladies. The banishment one included a curse that after transportation you would be put to death. Maybe I should give this a chance if any of it is as good as Nemesis One Half.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Honestly, it is impossible to judge based on the one chapter of it so far whether or not it is going to be good. It's a bit dark for my tastes already, but that could just be setting the stage. Actually, in terms of feel, it feels similar to the Anarchists but without the humor.

I might follow it, but I'm more of a light-hearted person so I might give up.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Shanami wrote:Honestly, it is impossible to judge based on the one chapter of it so far whether or not it is going to be good. It's a bit dark for my tastes already, but that could just be setting the stage. Actually, in terms of feel, it feels similar to the Anarchists but without the humor.

I might follow it, but I'm more of a light-hearted person so I might give up.

I agree with Shanami on this one. Not the give up part. I will still continue to read it if it is ever updated.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Chapter 2 was just posted. Definetly a fukufic now as evidenced In the spoiler tag below, though it could've really used a small diluted dosage of Sunny's brand sugary dark cuteness fashion overload to make it a tad more appealing visually.

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
The apple shaped Sigel on her forehead flared with a golden glow before gold light and twisting darkness completely surrounded her for a moment before fading away into nothing to reveal Senshi Eris. It was unlike the uniform Serenity's cheerleaders wore. Where theirs were designed around the time that Eris and Sol fell, as a public relations coup to make the Senshi appear more as eye candy instead of the deadly killers and mobile artillery pieces they were, Ranma's was of the old style and more like actual armor. The black form fitting cuirass with a large, gold, starburst cut gem set above her heart and the gold armored diadem with an obsidian stone centered on her forehead covering her head and torso were just as if not more effective than the white leotards they wore. Black Gauntlets with gold trim met more black and gold armor that extended up from her elbows to meet a gold pauldron on each shoulder. Black plated boots with gold toes and trim met the black armored greaves that covered her legs under the knee length black and gold armored skirt. No ribbons or frills adorned her armor, for it had been designed by the first Serenity in a time of war, but any of the Queen's Senshi would recognize her instantly for what she was from her enhanced magical output in this form, despite the differences in appearance.

Sadly though it's not as sophisticated or as good as the first chapter seemed to indicate it would be. Still not awful by any means and hopefully it'll reach its potential as it further develops. It could have really used a look at their childhoods, training, and developing feelings with Setsuna...Right now I don't care too much about the characters.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:15 am

There are some anachronisms that bother me. They are serving martinis at the party for example. And Ranma who is shouting 'MAYDAY'. Stuff like that.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:26 pm

It seems that the author took the chapter down. It's not up anymore. It only lists one chapter for it.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 am

Eh, I never understood the draw of the "evil Silver Millennium". It was an interesting read but eh....so far Ranma and Nabiki could practually be anyone, especially with Ranma being pure girl. Unless it moves into 'modern' times, it's not even really worth while and only barely passes the threshhold of an actual fukufic.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Chapter 2 is back up and far better then the previously posted version that was removed. The part to officially crown this a fukufic and which I quoted before was removed though and will likely occur in Chapter 3. Still the pacing and story itself is a huge upgrade from the previous version.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm part of a group that is trying to support each other in becoming writers, which includes the author of this fic. We've discussed some of these issues with him, which is why he has made some changes, but in general he is trying to keep to the core of the characters with differences from being raised in very different environments. He is planning on a sequel later with them in the present Ranma verse. In fact, he started with writing it, but decided he wanted to tell the story of their past lives first, and how something seemingly bright and good could need to be taken down.

None of my stuff is published yet, but since the primary story I am working on is a fukufic, should I put a comment somewhere here when it goes up, or would that be shameless self-promotion?
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Fukufics & Gender Bender