Perhaps someone could answer me this question one~

Talk about the "fuku-fics" and other Gender Bender fiction here.
If there is a probable it can be posted here, but a definite fukufic should be PM'd to Sunshine Temple

Perhaps someone could answer me this question one~

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I just finished reading a Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon crossover fic called Polarity. The thing is, the date of its production, at where I read it (Mediaminer), is at odds with the memory of having read it before, many years ago. And I'm pretty sure I did, since several events really stood out in ways that couldn't be confused for events in other stories that I've read before.

So, my question is... is this a revision/rewrite, or something?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Perhaps someone could answer me this question one~

Postby AshK1980 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

I honestly have no idea. I don't remember reading it before.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 am

I have been reading Polarity, and new chapters come out in the irregular pattern that indicates new work. I suppose it could be new rewrite, but it doesn't feel like it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah, that's what gets me. Before two or so weeks ago I've only read enough fics to count on one hand for about six years, and none of them were Polarity. But I'm pretty damn sure I've read it before. The parts that particular stick out are Polarity's power over gravity, the bit of mischief that landed Polarity in princess Serenity's bed in the past (where she was chased by queen Serenity), and the part where Makoto helped with Ranma's fear of cats. And how Ranma and Haruka get along, along with Ranma calling Hotaru "starsprite", rang a bell.

I don't know what to think about it, so I asked. I figured that, if it was old enough, that it would be listed at ranmafics, but it isn't. Or, if it is, not under the same name. It didn't feel like deja vu when I read it, I know that much. It's really boggling my mind.

Maybe I should ask to have this moved to Other Talk, since I'm more likely to get more responses for other people who've read stuff from way back when.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm

I think that's a good idea to move it to other talk.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Drawde2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 pm

It's possible that you read parts of it in a forum. I believe it was posted here and/or TFF. Can't remember which though.
Drawde2
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 pm

There are also a few other fics that have some similar occurrences, but not all of them.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Well... I've not seen this exact story anywhere before, though with the sheer number of crossovers of Ranma and Sailor Moon, it is possible I've missed it. I've read quite a number. But elements of this I've seen before... in fact, I've heard people say this fic is a deliberate mismash of cliches..

There is another ranma story called 'Polarity' by Tangent, but the content is nothing like this one.

This is a Ranma-Sailor moon cross that has him turn into a large catlike creature to help the senshi... that was I believe 'All The Small Things' by Chibi-Slacker.

There are several that have Ranma that is fairly sadistic and training the senshi.

There have been ones he has refused to join them at first, due to differing opinions, though they are regrettibly rare, old ones would include 'Earth Princess' by Cloud-Dreamer and 'A Certain Distance'-'A Closer Distance' by Rob Kelk and even 'Destiny' by Gabriel Blessing.

There are a couple that have Ranma and Jupiter share an apartment building.

There are a number of ranma stories over the years that have mentioned the star of polaris, though to my knowledge, Ranma has never been a sailor polaris.

I could go on.

But I am just saying, it is possible it seems like you've read it elsewhere because in fact, you've read parts of it elsewhere in scattered stories.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Well, I never read any stories from forums, back then. I've considered that it could have just been recycled plot elements, stuff that people pick up when they read stories and (un)consciously add to their own, and I did vaguely remember a few non-canon senshi that Ranma had become (like Nemesis) that shared some similarities in events. Admittedly, six-plus years since reading any particular story doesn't exactly aid my memory. Fortunately, though, I know that stories where Ranma trains any number of the senshi, in the past, is quite limited. The part of Polarity where Venus (I think) gets Polarity into the princess' bed reminded of another story where a prank was pulled on Ranma's character in much the same way, in the past; with the notable exception of Ranma's character getting them back for it.

It's mostly the beginning of the story that seems very familiar to me, though. And I wonder what other story might have Pluto (Setsuna) giving Ranma a way to contact her, if he wanted to talk, because that also rings a bell. Maybe if I just went and plowed through the remaining fukufics available for reading (since I doubt all of them have survived), I'd be able to, eventually/potentially, find the answer, myself. Unfortunately, I'm limiting my reading, since I'm also pushing myself to write. (I have a story that's five years in the making that I'd like to get finished some time this century. ;/ )
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Hmmm... contact numbers between Ranma and Pluto in old stories:

Phone number
- 'One Half a Neko Moon' by Chi-Lord
- 'A Time for Wild Horses' by Jose Argao

Teleporting
- 'Dark King Ascending' by Softrogue

Address
- 'For The Want Of An Aspirin' by Alex DarkFire

Ranma gives her 'his' number
- 'For His Own Good' by E-Type

I *think* she gives him something so they can contact him in
- 'Of Cats Men and Women' by Innortal

There was another one... short, couple chapters, where Ranma saved pluto, and offered to help him if needed, and gave him an address.

Also... one where she gave Ranma a business card, and wanted to try a technique to cure the neko-ken... that was by TheGrum.
Last edited by PCHeintz72 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:(I have a story that's five years in the making that I'd like to get finished some time this century. ;/ )

Slacker. I have a story that's twenty five years in the making. Just a chapter and a half to go....
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 am

A déjà-vu moment? I've had them myself. Those that have read Miriani's Ranma/HP crossover "Hikari no Daija (The Serpent of Light)" may remember that the Japanese school is named Golden Sora. I spent days searching through my fic collection for that name. I just *knew* I had seen it before. No joy. Nothing on Google either.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fukufics & Gender Bender