What is the minimum requirement to count as a fukufic?

Talk about the "fuku-fics" and other Gender Bender fiction here.
If there is a probable it can be posted here, but a definite fukufic should be PM'd to Sunshine Temple

What is the minimum requirement to count as a fukufic?

Postby three headed dog » Wed May 13, 2009 1:52 am

I've been on this site for awhile know and while I know that a fukufic is usually a crossover between Ranma and Sailormoon in which Ranma becomes a senshi, what is the minimum requirement? Does it have to be a Ranma/Sailormoon crossover? Would a fic in which Ranma goes to a school that has sailor style uniforms count? Would it count if he was using it as part of a disguise?
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 am

Good questions. Fics where Ranma disguises herself as a senshi, even if she doesn't have the powers of a senshi definitely count.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: What is the minimum requirement to count as a fukufic?

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed May 13, 2009 5:56 am

three headed dog wrote:I've been on this site for awhile know and while I know that a fukufic is usually a crossover between Ranma and Sailormoon in which Ranma becomes a senshi, what is the minimum requirement? Does it have to be a Ranma/Sailormoon crossover? Would a fic in which Ranma goes to a school that has sailor style uniforms count? Would it count if he was using it as part of a disguise?

It's all up to the costume. If Ranma wears something close enough to a Sailor Senshi uniform then it counts.

Technically, it doesn't have to be a Sailor Moon crossover or even one where Ranma's a magical girl.

The normal sailor seifuku IE school uniforms aren't quite enough to count, but if they were just a hair more outlandish: shorter skirts, bigger bows, tiaras, puffier shoulder. Then it would count.

In short: pleated miniskirts and big bows are the requirement here.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 am

Isn't it kinda impossible for Ranma to avoid being technically a Magical Girl? Kinda like in that Girls School Fic. Ranma Transforms by Magic, without the magic he wouldn't become a girl at all.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 am

Spokavriel wrote: Isn't it kinda impossible for Ranma to avoid being technically a Magical Girl? Kinda like in that Girls School Fic. Ranma Transforms by Magic, without the magic he wouldn't become a girl at all.

Excellent point.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Wed May 13, 2009 8:14 am

Unless the story starts with Ranma female getting a cold water male curse, I'd think he's a Magical Boy first... :?
Still, if Ranma starts thinking of himself/herself as a female, then it would be a magical girl senario reguardless. *shrug*
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Kilich » Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 am

Isn't it kinda impossible for Ranma to avoid being technically a Magical Girl? Kinda like in that Girls School Fic. Ranma Transforms by Magic, without the magic he wouldn't become a girl at all.

It's possible if it's a crossover with series that have "sufficiently advanced technology" like nanomachines\Washu's lab and\or other things.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 am

Senshi = warrior
Seifuku = uniform

Personally, I don't think the bells and whistles are all that important. (The bows, type of skirt, et cetera. I figure being a magical girl is enough.) But, if we're going to stick with a stereotype, you might as well add something to the name to make it more appropriate: Ranma's Sera (sailor) Senshi Seifuku. You know, since the whole thing was inspired by the sailor-styled uniform. Otherwise it'd fall under a broader definition when it's just "warrior", since a warrior's uniform can vary for many reasons. (And I'd like to add that it's not the skirt and bow(s) that define the sailor-styled uniform the most, anyway: it's the collar. If anything, that would be a must. Otherwise it makes no sense to specify other, less-notable things as more-important qualifiers.)

Just thought I'd point that out.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Then again any Feminine warriors uniform (Even if it's personal armor) might work. It would take a magical miracle for instance to see Ranma in Xena's getup.

Or half the things you find on Devil Hunters.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Then again any Feminine warriors uniform (Even if it's personal armor) might work. It would take a magical miracle for instance to see Ranma in Xena's getup.

Not really going by the manga Ranma has worn things at least as strange as a school girls uniform (which he also did wear) or Xena's garb. Wore a junior high girl uniform to trick Ryoga, wore a sailor style uniform during orachi arc, and wore his schools girl uniform at least once.

Xena garb less weird than say playboy bunny outfit, as for the girls in devil hunter I think they wear chinese dress's, cheongsam, which Ranma had done in the manga as well.

Still not sure what would make the list though. From what Sunshine Temple said it seems that just a skimpier version of the sailor type school uniform would be enough.

The warrior part seems to be unnecessary since Ranma is a martial artist and a martial artists is just another type of warrior (martial arts means systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat). He's still a warrior regardless of what he wears.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Then again any Feminine warriors uniform (Even if it's personal armor) might work. It would take a magical miracle for instance to see Ranma in Xena's getup.

Ranma wears leathers for a fighting outfit, tube and mini skirt, in Girl Days, IIRC. His reasons included:
- Jabbing back at Nodoka for making him stay a girl for two+ months
- phycological damage against any challengers who might fight him during that timeframe (Challengers are most likely going to be male)
- If he was going to be a girl, he might as well look damn hot (Course, that reasoning might have been a jab at Nodoka)
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Spokavriel

[If you want to define magical girl that narrowly then yes.
[However what I said was:

"Technically, it doesn't have to be a Sailor Moon crossover or even one where Ranma's a magical girl."

[So Ranma actually having magical powers as commonly used by "magical girls" isn't really a factor.
[That's exactly why "Girl's School" counts. It's the uniform.

Kilich
It's possible if it's a crossover with series that have "sufficiently advanced technology" like nanomachines\Washu's lab and\or other things.

[Yes. That's why there isn't any power origin, power nature, or even power requirement.
[It's based just on the costume.

Crescent Pulsar
Personally, I don't think the bells and whistles are all that important. (The bows, type of skirt, et cetera. I figure being a magical girl is enough.) But, if we're going to stick with a stereotype, you might as well add something to the name to make it more appropriate: Ranma's Sera (sailor) Senshi Seifuku.

[You gotta draw the line somewhere on what counts.
[But very good point on the title, changed to Temple of Ranma's Sailor Senshi Seifuku.
[Though some of the graphics will have to be tweaked.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed May 13, 2009 7:18 pm

I didn't think that the name would need to be changed, Sunny. ;p I was just thinking about the roots of this "sub-genre" (or whatever it's called), since it did begin with Sailor Moon crossovers. So I always thought (and remembered from the old days) that it was important for the outfit to look similar enough to the standard sailor senshi uniform, for it to count. And the most prevalent part of it is the sailor part. Aside from being in the title of the aforementioned series, the "sailor" aspect is never lost in each new incarnation: the sailor senshi outfit, inspired by the sailor uniform worn in some/many schools (don't know the numbers these days), which itself was inspired by the sailor uniform worn in the navy (British navy, was it?).

I figure that should help if someone were to wonder what qualifies as a sailor senshi(-ish) outfit. The reason why Sailor Moon is so prevalent with Ranma 1/2 is because it's the rule (from the stories where Ranma does become a sailor senshi), whereas outfits that look like the sailor senshi's uniform, with or without the presence of the Sailor Moon series, is the exception. (Which can be disappointing since it may only make one, minor appearance throughout an entire story.)

I hope I have that right. I may have been around when this first began, but I'm long in the tooth and my brain's going. XD
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Fukufics & Gender Bender