Wow... Five Years...

Talk about the "fuku-fics" and other Gender Bender fiction here.
If there is a probable it can be posted here, but a definite fukufic should be PM'd to Sunshine Temple

Wow... Five Years...

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:07 pm

This year... marks the fifth year that this forum has been up. First I'd like to say thank you to Stacy and Sunny for making a forum that is so focused on helping writers out and a good haven for Ranma writers on the Internet. (There are so few of us left...) I'd also like to thank Larry for hosting us here when the Third Impact happened. We've been through a lot.

The second thing I'd like to do is issue a story challenge. Fukufics are a dying breed, and we need to breathe new life into them! The challenge involves writing either a new Fukufic of decent length or adding something of decent length to a Fukufic that already fits the criteria.

To be clear, Decent Length means at least 10k words. I feel there should be additional bits to the challenge, so I leave it up to Sunny and the others to add to it.

Deadline for submission would be our actual Fifth Anniversary which happens in October.

You have six months! Get on it!
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Are you certain about the dates? I know Archive.org isn't the best place to use for verifying things but I'm wondering how much it changed from what archive.org shows and how it was when it launched.

Earliest Fukufics.com link in archive.org. Might have to copy and paste for it to work.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412072228 ... ufics.com/
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:24 pm

The site launched in late October of 2004. Burgerbecky was kind enough to buy us the domain name in November. This is going from pure memory as I recall being one of the first non-preregistered users.
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Do you remember what the domain was before it was Fukufics.com?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Sure...make me work on something I was gonna enjoy getting back to next monthI really need to buckle down on The Pluto Pool then
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Do you remember what the domain was before it was Fukufics.com?

It was a pure IP address. Sunny... (then Josh) had the link on his fukufic list. That's how I got to it.
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Wow... Five Years...

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Sailor Sedai (Ellf) wrote:This year... marks the fifth year that this forum has been up.

Not exactly entirely true, though close enough... There was the pretty much complete database crash in 3/2006 that caused the forum to be reset from scratch on about 4/11/2006. This was initially meant as a temporary or backup forum, while attempts to restore the old continued. When that was given up, this became the mainline forum.

I know, as the reset forum lost its RSS feed ability, and also some stories that existed here only in preview...

An example was the 2nd chapter of 'Half a Sleeper and Half an Alien' by migele. A pity, as I wish he had continued that. He did eventually report it in preview on Anifics. Which of course is also gone as of 4/1/2009.

EDIT: Additionally... the fukufics site technically existed before the forum... I remember coming across the site page long before that, when it listed a mere 60 or so stories, I even remeber contributing a couple to it that Josh had been unaware of back then.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 pm

What a coincidence. And here I was, reminiscing about this earlier today. Oh! Even that link that Spokavriel put up shows a subject with "Ovalisk" in it. Those were the days. ^^

So I remembered correctly that part about Burger Bill (his name at the time), huh... Awesome. I remember when the site was in its infancy, and there were only so many stories listed there. I think I helped to add a few to the list.

I could have started out as a mod, too, if I had kept in touch with Sunny. But MSF, and being new to socializing on a forum in general, took up a lot of my time. Those days were so wild and crazy, and I so innocent. *Blushes* :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 pm

For some reason I find it hard to believe you were innocent. And if you were new to Forum style communication then it might have been a good thing you didn't get ModHood right away. I've seen too many times someone was kinda new to forums and going Mod took them to a permanent power trip. It helps to at least know the difference between discourse and flame wars before that responsibility lands on a person.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I actually remember posting a bit to Josh's fukufics list. I also remember one day it not being there, and a link to the forum being there instead.
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:00 pm

There must be something about me, since someone decided to make me a mod after only being there for a week. XD (Although they waited a month to do it, officially, since I was so new and it was unprecedented. Or something.) And that really was my first week's worth of experience at a forum. Before that I only poked a bit with E-mails, and rarely with IMs. But it seems that I'm offered a mod position at any forum I wholeheartedly join. (As in being a part of the community, rather than just visit and peruse from time to time.)

But I was innocent, I swear. It was a part of the reason that I was picked for a mod position, even though it wasn't even a necessary position. And then a lot of stuff happened. And once things settled down I managed to set my short attention span back here, and found the new forum.

It was pretty fun. MSF and Fukufics will likely always be the only places I'd call "home." I wish I could have been around Fukufics more often, but, due to many reasons, I had to choose between the two, and I chose MSF because I had responsibilities to keep up with there. Still, I'm glad Fukufics is here, and thank everyone responsible for its existence in all of its incarnations, past and present. I'm glad that at least one good thing came out of reading fan-fiction. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Question: since this is a challenge, where do we submit what we write? Do we just go about our usual routine and simply dedicate what we write to the challenge? Do we post it here, or somewhere else? Will there be a winner?

An inquiring mind wants to know. *_*
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Maybe that would be a good time for my Ranma/Hotaru fukufic. At least that idea I have is a rather unique concept and surely not lacking originality.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Question: since this is a challenge, where do we submit what we write? Do we just go about our usual routine and simply dedicate what we write to the challenge? Do we post it here, or somewhere else? Will there be a winner?

An inquiring mind wants to know. *_*

I'd say submit it here. As for whether there's a winner or not.... I'm not sure at the moment. There might be one.
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Most fics would end up in C&C anyway why not just have a mark like (5An_C) for 5th Anniversary Challenge added to the submissions titles for it in there and then adding a link here to it?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fukufics & Gender Bender