Could Ranma ever stand up to Dragonball /DBZ ?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Metroidvania » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm

antimatterenergy wrote:Japan may not have nuclear weapons but so what Ranma could most likely steal a few nukes from Russia. Ranma has no problems with stealling stuff and he does have enough stealth techniques and abilities to steal several nukes/guns/bio weapons from china or russia if he wanted to.

True, he could, but canonically, would he use them?
Unless the Z fighters or Ranma himself turned to evil, or if no one told Ranma about the side effects, I can't really see it happening....Plus, if Freeza could stand a planet being destroyed, unless it's really early on in DBZ, not likely a nuke would work....
bio weapons might though....as evidenced by Goku's illness....
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:28 pm

Generally Ranma would not . For Ranma to even consider killing his opponents the stakes would have to be extremely high (just his own death is not high enough others would have to be in danger) but if Ranma has already decided that he's going to kill his opponent (sees no other choice or alternative is much worse) Ranma in my opinion will likely use anything and everything he can, Which would include stolen weapons of mass destruction.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:36 pm

Neko- wrote:Point being... In respect to almost any anime out there (I don't want to say all, but I just might)... DBZ is 'absurdely wanked out'. It's so overpowered in comparison to other anime's which makes the blend so hard to do.
Which is kinda what spawned this thread. Could you put Ranma against Vegeta or Goku and somehow win?
Sure, give him a Moldiver Mk2 unit. <.< >.> Yeah, Moldiver Unit without time limit. Anything else that might work is pretty much proprietary to the user.
Honestly he couldn't do anything to a Guyver, Tekkaman, or Hoichi Kano in the Gunner suit. The accepted DBZ power standards are much higher then on those three.
antimatterenergy wrote:Japan may not have nuclear weapons but so what Ranma could most likely steal a few nukes from Russia. Ranma has no problems with stealling stuff and he does have enough stealth techniques and abilities to steal several nukes/guns/bio weapons from china or russia if he wanted to.
... You're trying to imply he's going to over there, trek through Siberia, procure multiple ICBMs (note the space capsules were tiny things on the tips of ICBMs), trek back with them, swim back with them, build the silo and control center to house and operate them, all without the Russian's or anyone else for that matter noticing? The others are air or sub delivered.
What do you think he is, Hercules?
BC weaponry is unreliable at best, useless at worst. Deployment conditions can have a major impact on effectiveness, and that's on you're bog standard human. Not something I'd rely upon.
FOG3

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:53 pm

He could launch them from the Russia (kidnap someone and force them to launch them). Or he could aquire a plane/ helicoptor to take him to Russia after all we have seen that Nabiki and the guy who she was in that bet with was able to get a helicopter capable of flying itself and use that as the deployment vehicle. Or he could hijack a sub and use a mind control item to control enough people to operate it like the eggs the pheonix people used or something. There is no reason for him to have to drag the stuff by himself to Japan and construct a launching device trains/trucks/subs/boats/ etc... do exist and if he's stealing weapons he would probably steal means to use and transport them as well. Frankly getting the weapons themselves would probably be hardest.
Oh and about him relying on the weapons if he's using them he most likely has given up on all other options this is basically a last resort type thing.
Metroidvania - the explosive force may not be enough to kill them but they aren't immune to radiation (at least I don't think they are) and that would.
Neko- lots of ways besides those already mentioned for Ranma to win. Give him a green latern ring, or make him a herald of galactis, make him a sayian, have him remade into some kind of android, have him become a god of some type from Ah my goddess or something, etc... if doing further crossovers it's not that hard.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:16 pm

antimatterenergy wrote:He could launch them from the Russia (kidnap someone and force them to launch them).
Riight.
antimatterenergy wrote:Or he could aquire a plane/ helicoptor to take him to Russia after all we have seen that Nabiki and the guy who she was in that bet with was able to get a helicopter capable of flying itself and use that as the deployment vehicle.
That was a small pay as you go civilian helicopter. The Russian IADS should have no problem dealing with that. Or are you trying to imply he can load up one of their strategic bombers and fly it out without anyone noticing or shooting it down?
What do you think he is the Genocyber on steriods?
Even if he somehow magically obtained the warheads, strapped them to the helicopter, cracked the codes on the arming system, and made it so the detonators would work, and made it so the helicopter would home in on the Saiyans, why can't they just blast the thing before it gets close? Making a nuke go off is a precise operation, one caught in a standard high class (not low grade junk like Ranmaverse) energy beam would probably be damaged in a way that would not allow it to go off properly if it was still able to go off at all. Hence, nuke neutralized.
antimatterenergy wrote:Or he could hijack a sub and use a mind control item to control enough people to operate it like the eggs the pheonix people used or something.
Because of course, he just happens to have this kind of stuff on hand, and the crew will be accomodating enough to just let him use it. :roll: Him merely finding anyone's Boomers is in many ways a more Herculean task then stealing the ICBMs from under the Russian's noses.
antimatterenergy wrote:There is no reason for him to have to drag the stuff by himself to Japan and construct a launching device trains/trucks/subs/boats/ etc... do exist and if he's stealing weapons he would probably steal means to use and transport them as well.
No one's going to notice large transportation assets have been *cough cough* commandeered and are headed for Japan? Stealing nuclear material is one thing, operational strategic nuclear devices that he could deliver without killing himself in the process is quite another.
antimatterenergy wrote:Oh and about him relying on the weapons if he's using them he most likely has given up on all other options this is basically a last resort type thing.
... If he fights Fukamachi, he'd be a corpse first time out. Why would him vs the Z fighters go any better?
antimatterenergy wrote:Metroidvania - the explosive force may not be enough to kill them but they aren't immune to radiation (at least I don't think they are) and that would.
Evidence for them taking in enough rads to do anything if they can survive the initial radiation flux and superheated plasma from a direct hit? Besides which for these guys death is a temporary inconvenience, instead of a lasting problem. They, unlike a certain character, canonically can and do do the come back and wipe the floor with the guy who beat them routine.
antimatterenergy wrote:Neko- lots of ways besides those already mentioned for Ranma to win. Give him a green latern ring, or make him a herald of galactis, make him a sayian, have him remade into some kind of android, have him become a god of some type from Ah my goddess or something, etc... if doing further crossovers it's not that hard.
Of course, with all of stuff that'd work Shinji Ikari could just as easily win.
FOG3

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:24 am

We could have Ranma become the Kami of Earth when Piccolo dies against Vegeta and Nappa, through selection of worthiness by the spirits of earth or simply bad/good luck. The exact powers of the Kami haven't been entirely defined, perhaps it would allow Ranma to surpass human limits and start catching up to the sayajins.
It might be funny if the rules for the spiritses choice were a person who is good at heart, doesn't use their powers frivolously, but to help others, and has 'balance'. Ranma's balance is his/her curse because the spirits that chose the Kami aren't very good at discerning details, and Ranma is of course chosen over the other 'most balanced' individual Herb, because Ranma is more good and and nice than Herb.
One of my favorite routes is the whole 'invincible neko-ken' excuse. The neko-ken really does make you invincible, at least compared to normal humans, and Ranma masters it, making him have power scaling more like sayajins. That does leave the question of what the hell the neko-ken actually is, is it some sort of absorbed cat essensces, something like how Spidermans' powers have gone from being 'mutant' powers to more of 'spiritual' powers chosen by some sort of spider totem with Ranma being chosen, because of the neko-ken, by some sort of cat totem? Could it be a possessing demon that Ranma merges with? The soul of a cat trapped in Ranma's body that Ranma merges with? A mystical way through physical and spiritual stress to break through human limits on development, that only blocked Ranma from accessing the full power until Ranma could master the fear and insanity? Some sort of combination of the above?
But yeah, I don't think Cannon Ranma can really duke it out with the DBZ folks unless you massively overpower the soul of ice hiryuu shoten ha, and the Saotome forbidden arts.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Sheylenna » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:25 am

Ok so now I've read through this topic and then I thought about it....
Ummm does anyone remember that really slothful, gluttons, and dare I say stupid Z fighter named Yajirobe?
You know the one, he snuck up on Oozaru Vegita, you know he who could hear a whisper on the wind from 100miles away, and cut off that pesky tail, thus helping Goku win. Like with a regular sword.
I do believe that Ranma could kick Yajirobe's tukus without breaking a sweat. And beat him at the stealth game while he's at it. So why can't Ranma use his speed, a weapon.. And don't tell me Ranma doesn't use weapons... that's like saying that he doesn't fight girls. Ok so Ranma using his skill, speed, (he may have to up his speed but then maybe not) and a nice sharp pointy object to fight. With pinpoint accuracy he doesn't need POWER he just needs speed. (and of course accuracy ^ . ^)
Yeah I'm one of those who thinks that Ranma can beat anyone ^ . ^
Sheya
"If you think I'm going down you've got another thing... no thunk... no... thong... no Oh yeah right THINK coming...." mutters "I'm really beginning to hate that song"
Sheylenna
Senshi Candidate

Postby Climhazard » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:48 am

He could launch them from the Russia (kidnap someone and force them to launch them).

Ummm... He can't... At lest half of launch codes traslate from HQ.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Yeah I'm one of those who thinks that Ranma can beat anyone ^ . ^

Going by your post. aslong as the attention of the DBZ fighter is elsewhere or atleast aslong as Ranma is able to avoid that attention, it's possible for Ranma to eventually win. Going to take him a LOOONG time, but one can wear down anything... Provided the DBZ fighter wouldn't proceed to blow up the direct area around him in order to get rid of the pesky threat.
As soon as the DBZ fighter would activly hunt Ranma down however, the amount of skill and such wouldn't help him squat. Ranma will loose. The amount of difference in raw power is just too great.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Sheylenna wrote:I do believe that Ranma could kick Yajirobe's tukus without breaking a sweat. And beat him at the stealth game while he's at it. So why can't Ranma use his speed, a weapon.. And don't tell me Ranma doesn't use weapons... that's like saying that he doesn't fight girls. Ok so Ranma using his skill, speed, (he may have to up his speed but then maybe not) and a nice sharp pointy object to fight. With pinpoint accuracy he doesn't need POWER he just needs speed. (and of course accuracy ^ . ^)
Because he's not:
Frank Castle
Since when does he:
1) Scope out opponents thoroughly before engaging them
2) Plan how to kill everyone in the building in advance
3) Make sure he has the equipment to do so
Ranma plans after effectively smashing his head into a wall enough it becomes clear it won't work. Like certain other people you're requiring the character to go way out of their normal operating parameters.
FOG3

Postby antimatterenergy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Fog3:
I agree with you that Ranma is for the most part reactive rather than proactive, but what does that have to do with this match? In the first post Ranma was given access to any items he may possible get (any powerup or item or combination of items) and unlimited preptime (said could he ever be a threat). Ranma will get and use items occasionally (got incense to use on Happosai and on Ryoga for ex), will make plans (made a plan to get Happosai to change taro's name just misjudged Happosai's reaction and had a plan to keep Happosai from females), and will seek out training if he needs to but usually doesn't have the time (hard to scope someone out when they attacked you) since Ranma generally doesn't seek out trouble (it comes to him or he is dropped into it).

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:23 pm

That is incorrect. The proper passage is:
This question just came to mind a few days ago: How far into Dragonball or DBZ could Ranma actually be a challenge if he got ever sinlge power-up available in the manga. I have seen a few really really bad attapts to cross the series where ranma just somehow is strong enough or skilled enough. I think thats crap. I expect he would need every dirty trick out there. I think at the very least he could match Vegita's first arrival if he had the following.

Nowhere in the first post does it say anything about if he had access to anything he has a snowballs chance in hell of laying his hands on (your nukes), prep time, or otherwise. It just says Ranma with all the various junk bolted on vs DBZ.
Not to mention you and him are both ignoring that your plans require Ranma to be a:
Serial Murderer
Even Fanon in it's most extreme forms doesn't go so far as to pretend he's canonically a Serial Murderer. So what are you on about? We're talking Ranma Saotome, not Frank Castle, and the kind of personality transformation to get Ranma acting like Frank isn't minor in the least.
If that vulnerability was granted, which I assure you DBZers will shout down before you can say Z sword, Frank could do it easily with hardware that isn't exactly that uncommon. Ie a howitzer or similar system that can send out a whole bunch of flechettes ala Beehive round, or conventional DPICMs.
FOG3

Postby lwf58 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 pm

FOG3 wrote:If that vulnerability was granted, which I assure you DBZers will shout down before you can say Z sword, Frank could do it easily with hardware that isn't exactly that uncommon. Ie a howitzer or similar system that can send out a whole bunch of flechettes ala Beehive round, or conventional DPICMs.

I suppose I'll step in for the DBZers you mentioned. In one episode of DBZ, some of the baddies of the week are attacked by a combined air-land assault force of conventional troops, tanks, and fighter/bomber aircraft. After the baddies stop guffawing at the idea of normal military force being used against them, they wipe out the entire assault force in plenty of time for a coffee break.
By the time of DBZ, tactical nuclear weapons are useless against the heroes and villians alike. The guy you are talking about wouldn't stand a chance in hell of hurting any of them, no matter how carefully he planned or what weapons he got his hands on.
The same goes for Ranma. There's no doubt in my mind that he's in another class of martial arts from DBZ, but what they lack in esoteric techniques, they make up in firepower, strength, speed, and invulnerability to any attack Ranma uses in his entire series. His fighting doesn't even come close to what they do just as training.
There's a very good reason why most folks who try to write Ranma/DBZ crossovers always power Ranma up to ridiculous levels, or make him a Saiyan, or whatever it is they do. It's because in a straight crossover, Ranma wouldn't last a minute longer than it took for one of the DBZ natives to get annoyed at him.
Ranma would be a match for Yajirobi. Ranma would wipe the floor with Mr. Satan. The Turtle Hermit would blow Ranma away. None of the Z fighters wouldn't find him a challenge at all.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby bissek » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:35 am

Concur. As I said earlier in this post, It's one think to attack a tank trooper with your fists. It's theoretically possible to beat him. This is Ranma against another human with the skill level of a Z fighter. It's another thing to attack the tank trooper while he's in the tank. In that case, you scratch the paint job, hurt your fist, and then get run over. That's Ranma against a Z fighter.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:02 am

Here's a little take on what might happen if Ranma ended up dimension-hopping to the DBZ universe.
Ranma saw his opponent. The enemy stood with his arms crossed, staring off into the distance and, judging by the scowl on his face, thinking dark thoughts. Ranma whipped the large cloth he carried around his body, invoking one of the most useful skills of his father's Umisenken to make himself invisible. It was imperitive that he beat the foe before him; the green guy with the funny antenna had told him that the one called Kami would only help him if he proved himself worthy by defeating this man.
Vegita smirked to himself as he sensed the minor power level of the person who was attempting to sneak up behind him. While he had no doubt that the guy would impress another of the monkeys that constituted the dominant life form of Earth, compared to the fighters he acknowledged as being near to his own level, the boy was pitiful. Turning his gaze back to the horizon, Vegita chose to ignore the boy's impertinence.
Ranma couldn't believe his luck. No, not luck. It was obvious that his unbeatable skill had allowed him to approach to striking range of his foe completely undetected. This was going to be easy.
"Mouko Takabishi!"
The ball of confidence-based ki flew fast and true toward the man he'd set his sights on. But just as it was about to hit, the man turned around and batted the blast of energy away like it was a basketball. 'What! How the hell could he do that?' Ranma thought in complete shock.
"Is that the best you can do, monkey?" asked Vegita, looking at the spot where he could feel his assailant standing.
Ranma dropped the cloak, and narrowed his eyes. "No, that was just the beginning. You're going down, shorty. And my name is Ranma!" Gathering his strength, he raised his arms and brought them down in a gesture that Ryu Kumon would have recognized instantly. "Sai Dai Kyuu Kijin Raishü Dan!"
Two arcs of vacuum laced with ki spun their deadly way toward Vegita, who suddenly blurred and reappeared next to Ranma. He watched as the deadly crescents of nothingness clawed into the solid rock of the bluff he'd been standing on. "Not bad. Looks like an interesting technique. But not strong enough, and so slow that I could dodge them in my sleep," Vegita noted. "Let me show you a couple of tricks I learned from two of the stronger monkeys this backwater planet has to offer."
Raising his hands into a triangle shape before his face, he grinned fiercely as Ranma watched closely, just in case he would see a good technique to add to his own bag of tricks. "SOLAR FLARE!"
Ranma screamed in agony as a flash of light bright as the sun seared into his retinas. As he rubbed desperately at his abused eyes, Vegita took the moment to raise one hand above his head, palm upward. He allowed enough ki for the attack to gather, and then used his willpower to send the Frisbee of raging energy toward Ranma's defenseless body. "Destructo Disk!"
Moments later, he viewed the bisected corpse of his would-be attacker. "Well, monkey, I guess from now on you'll be known as Ranma 1/2. Say hello to King Enma for me!"
lwf58
Site Master

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma