Ranma 1/2 takes place in 1994?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma 1/2 takes place in 1994?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 am

In one of the later stories, where both Akari and Akane visit Ryoga at his house, the calendar says it's 1994. But way back in one of the earlier stories, where Ranma ends up learning martial arts tea ceremony, Sentaro mentions that Satsuki was Miss Tea Ceremony of 1993, which in all likelihood means that it's a bygone year. Are there other times when the year is shown/mentioned, and are those years used in the Japanese version?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Ranma 1/2 takes place in 1994?

Postby LawOhki » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:In one of the later stories, where both Akari and Akane visit Ryoga at his house, the calendar says it's 1994. But way back in one of the earlier stories, where Ranma ends up learning martial arts tea ceremony, Sentaro mentions that Satsuki was Miss Tea Ceremony of 1993, which in all likelihood means that it's a bygone year. Are there other times when the year is shown/mentioned, and are those years used in the Japanese version?

That's pretty much it. The setting if time actually passed is basically 93/94 although the events would make it longer than a year. Multiple new years festivals.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah. I just wanted to know if the numbers are consistent because it would be a nice tie-in with the Sailor Moon series as far as crossover fan-fiction is concerned. (If I remember correctly, it's 1992 when it starts, and Usagi is in her second year of junior high. She starts her first year of high school in the final story arc, which would make it 1994.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Yeah. I just wanted to know if the numbers are consistent because it would be a nice tie-in with the Sailor Moon series as far as crossover fan-fiction is concerned. (If I remember correctly, it's 1992 when it starts, and Usagi is in her second year of junior high. She starts her first year of high school in the final story arc, which would make it 1994.)

While true, it does not matter all that much... neither show touched upon many known events or were truly all that time oriented locking either to that period except a handful of details... most objects that change with the times either have not changed that much yet or were not shown in detail... not a ton of cars for example, and of those shown, not specific enough to truly peg a model.

Probably the biggest change is more modern societies love and absolute dependance and inability to function without what I consider unneeded useless handheld gadgets, like cell phones, day planners, netbooks, media players, etc... though laptops existed.

I will note the Mercury computer looks close enough between a cross of a modern netbook and a old PocketPC Pro/Windows CE subnotebook it likely would fit the category, it probably drew more stares back then than it would now. And their communicators would be better disguised as pink cellphones and fit in perfect.

Finding one that would survive a day with ranma I image would really be quite a streach, though I amuse myself if he kept a cell in stuff space it would likely never recieve a call.

I'd go into that more, but there is already a somewhat recent thread specifically on cellphones.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 am

Well, the exact year is important for someone like myself, who prefers the facts over the fancy. Not that there's anything wrong with the quirks of either universe, but I like definitive correlations to explain why or how what happens when. I'd rather point to something irrefutable than make up something and hope it's believable enough.

Mercury's laptop isn't an issue for me, since I prefer the visor-shades that she uses in the manga. :wink:
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:51 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Well, the exact year is important for someone like myself, who prefers the facts over the fancy. Not that there's anything wrong with the quirks of either universe, but I like definitive correlations to explain why or how what happens when. I'd rather point to something irrefutable than make up something and hope it's believable enough.

Mercury's laptop isn't an issue for me, since I prefer the visor-shades that she uses in the manga. :wink:

Oh... I like facts and figures myself... though total accuracy in a crossover story with series such as this with magical girls, monsters of the week, and / or superpowered martial artists can only get you so far. Nonetheless, taking such things into account even down to things like room layouts is a refreshing change to some fans and writers I've encountered and some rather serious blunders I've seen in fan fiction over the years.

However, in the series... with only a few noteable exceptions to come to mind, very little would be different had they occurred in say 2002 vs. 1994.

Some things will tend to fall flat if going into too much detail... For example, I would imaging the law would definately be senshi hunting, even if they are supposedly adored by tthe public... After all, from the law standpoint, they have a lot to answer for.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 am

In the Ten Yen Challenge story arc a ten yen coin dated Heisei year 6 shows up enlarged several times - Heisei year 6 = 1994 .
(Viz book 27 - parts 9-11)
Assuming it is a newly minted coin, that story can't happen prior to 1994, so you are fairly safe there.

On the other hand if you wanted to go way back to the very beginning of Ranma, where Soun is holding the postcard - it has a cancellation date of 1987 ( it is difficult to read ) while the stamp is based on a real 8 fen Chinese stamp from 1963. ( I gather Chinese postage rates did not change for a long time)

Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Quick! Destroy that post card! XD

Well, if the year used just a few volumes after the post card is correct, I wonder why Takahashi used a future date. Or maybe she wanted the post card to look authentic but didn't know what the details would look like in the future? It's curious...

(And don't think I didn't see DIO hiding in that postage stamp! ;p )

PCHeintz72 wrote:Oh... I like facts and figures myself... though total accuracy in a crossover story with series such as this with magical girls, monsters of the week, and / or superpowered martial artists can only get you so far. Nonetheless, taking such things into account even down to things like room layouts is a refreshing change to some fans and writers I've encountered and some rather serious blunders I've seen in fan fiction over the years.

However, in the series... with only a few noteable exceptions to come to mind, very little would be different had they occurred in say 2002 vs. 1994.

Some things will tend to fall flat if going into too much detail... For example, I would imaging the law would definately be senshi hunting, even if they are supposedly adored by tthe public... After all, from the law standpoint, they have a lot to answer for.

Not that kind of fact-checking (that's more like reality versus fiction checking), since martial artists and sailor senshi aren't hunted by the authorities in their respective universes. But definitely something like the layout of the house; especially if it's drawn up officially. That means, in Ranma 1/2, no furo on the second floor (authors should know it's not up there, anyway), and no Western furniture in the living room without an event (or series of such) in the story to explain their presence in lieu of the low table and cushions.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Quick! Destroy that post card! XD

Well, if the year used just a few volumes after the post card is correct, I wonder why Takahashi used a future date. Or maybe she wanted the post card to look authentic but didn't know what the details would look like in the future? It's curious...

Could be that she had no idea how long Ranma 1/2 would last.

And as the internal evidence of 1994 out weighs 1987 you can use '94 as your story's year with out worry.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:(And don't think I didn't see DIO hiding in that postage stamp! ;p )

So that's where she got to! Here all along I thought she was disguised as a second trombone!
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 pm

If the Wikipedia page on Ranma ½ is to go by, the manga ran from 1987 to 1996 and the anime from 1989 to 1992. It's probably safest to assume that any temporal references coincide with the time of production.

My recommendation? Pick whatever time suits the story. Oh, and in 1993, a 66MHz Pentium PC was the ninja bastard.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Well, that's just it. The story about Nabiki's ten yen challenge and the one where both Akari and Akane visit Ryoga's house would probably match the dates, but Sentaro's reference way back in the fifth volume (Viz's volume; I don't know if there's a difference) doesn't. Since Viz first printed the fifth volume in '95, I suppose it's possible that the translator could have substituted the actual date. But we'd need to see what he says in Japanese to know if that's the case or not.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Té Rowan wrote:My recommendation? Pick whatever time suits the story. Oh, and in 1993, a 66MHz Pentium PC was the ninja bastard.

Well... that would have been just after the heat issues were solved in the 66mhz version, and the much cooler (literally) and better 75mhz pentium came out. Also around the time AMD was pushing 133mhz 486's to compensate.. as it was proved around then that a 100mhz 486 could come close to a 60mhz pentium and a 133mhz 486 close to a 66mhz Pentium,
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 am

Té Rowan wrote:If the Wikipedia page on Ranma ½ is to go by, the manga ran from 1987 to 1996 and the anime from 1989 to 1992. It's probably safest to assume that any temporal references coincide with the time of production.

That's my understanding of it.

It also works that way for the time of the year. The beach stories were probably published during the summer. The Valentines story in February. The story where they were tying wishes to bamboo branches was probably published in August (Tanabata, on July or August 7th, though mostly in August). And the various New Years stories were likely published at the beginning of the year. It's common for stories that don't have years pass to still follow the current date. It's WHY Ranma's still in the first year of high school, despite seeing three or more different New Years stories.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Well, the 75-megger Pentium didn't show up until 1994. Real neat that it didn't need forced cooling. Used to have a Tulip Universa P75. A nice Win95 box. Pretty nippy once it got a decent stick of RAM. You can run Win95 in four megs, but the disk swapping will kill ya.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Drawde wrote:It also works that way for the time of the year. The beach stories were probably published during the summer. The Valentines story in February. The story where they were tying wishes to bamboo branches was probably published in August (Tanabata, on July or August 7th, though mostly in August). And the various New Years stories were likely published at the beginning of the year. It's common for stories that don't have years pass to still follow the current date. It's WHY Ranma's still in the first year of high school, despite seeing three or more different New Years stories.

This is often called "Endless Summer". The best example is probably The Simpsons which has been around since 1989 yet the main kid characters have been in 4th and 2nd grade the whole time, no matter how many new school years or summer vacations there are.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma