Soun marrying Ranma-chan: fanon?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Soun marrying Ranma-chan: fanon?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 am

I was looking through the story where Ranma gets his curse locked by the ladle and decided to look up something that hadn't sounded right to me whenever I encountered it in a fan-fic. It's the part where Soun supposedly says that Ranma will have to marry him if he isn't able to unlock his curse. But what I see is that Soun offers to arrange a marriage -- just the act itself -- and nothing more. However... That's not to say that he didn't say "arrange to marry me" in Japanese, or that the English translation failed to convey what could have suggested that that's what he had meant.

While I highly doubt that Soun would be even remotely interested in marrying Ranma (for the sake of joining the schools or not), I'd rather have a second opinion and/or a factual confirmation on what he said either way.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Soun marrying Ranma-chan: fanon?

Postby Cheb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:10 am

There was a serious attempt to translate the original Japanese version some time ago, here at fukufics. The old tread is probably down there somewhere in the sediment layers, an able archaeologist would be able to dig it up.
It was discovered that the English translation is mostly true if grossly simplified (see "Viewers are morons")
AFAIR, he made a thinly veiled threat that Ranma "will be given a honor of being accepted into the Tendou family as a bride".
I'm 100% sure that was intended as a good scare, nothing more.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma