Akane: nuttiest of the nuts?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Akane: nuttiest of the nuts?

Postby Zwzn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:18 am

Akane:
Even when presented with cold hard facts and evidence she believes her delusions over reality. Ryoga=P-chan, Why Ranma appeared to be groping miss Hinako

Does the same thing over and over again, but expects different results. The Morning fights: by her own admission she would show up each day at the exact same time, and do the exact same thing, and then complain about it.

Somehow she has no idea what she puts in the food she cooks. When Nodoka tries to teach Akane to cook, Akane somehow does not notice the large peaces of cutting board in her dish.

Paranoid

Poor impulse control: She has tried to murder Ranma several times when angry, and seems to feel no guilt about it.

I'm sure i missed somethings

Kodachi:
Seemingly can not see things from the other person's perspective, and as a result can not comprehend why her actions are wrong.

Tatewaki
Often behaves in an out dated fashion by trying to be a proper samurai.

Jumps to conclusions at times.

Nodoka
Gleeful dreams of killing her son and husband at the slightest sign Ranma is not manly without bothering to find out what is going on.

Deems traditional manly activities like cross dress as not manly. Men playing female roles in certain types of theater is traditional in Japan, and is still done to this day.

Believes she is a capable warrior in spite of no training

Has never bothered to explain what she believes is manly, and assumes everyone believes the same way she does.

I'm sure I missed somethings.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Actually... I consider Kodachi more sane than Tatewaki. Note, that does not mean I consider her sane (really, none of them are truely sane or normal except perhaps Nabiki), merely more so than her brother.

I also consider her the most powerful overall (note, not strongest) of the native nerimans of their age group. She was for example the only one shown able to roofhop from her intro episode. Neither Akane nor Tatewaki do so.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 am

F_Forward Gone Nuts wrote:Is Nodoka obsessed with tradition? I personally think that she places her own personal opinions over tradition (who knows, she might despise traditional Japanese theater because she considers crossdressing unmanly).

Nodoka isn't traditional from what I've been able to find in research on samurai and Japan, but she firmly believes she is very traditional.
Last edited by Zwzn on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:13 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Actually... I consider Kodachi more sane than Tatewaki. Note, that does not mean I consider her sane (really, none of them are truely sane or normal except perhaps Nabiki), merely more so than her brother.
Kodachi tried to kill every male in an amusement park as a means to win a petty bet with a rival she barely had any contact with, and thought there was nothing wrong or abnormal about her actions. She can't figure out Ranma is not having fun when she tries to rape him.

Tatewaki's only real delusion is that he thinks he has a chance with Akane and Ranma's girl form, but Ranma certainly gives him mixed messages.

Nabiki is a textbook sociopath/psycopath, and takes risks that she knows could get her killed, or destroy her family for fun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopathy
http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

I'd argue Ranma is for the most part the most normal character in the series.

PCHeintz72 wrote:I also consider her the most powerful overall (note, not strongest) of the native nerimans of their age group. She was for example the only one shown able to roofhop from her intro episode. Neither Akane nor Tatewaki do so.

Given Kodachi can easily parry Tatewaki's attacks easily while Akane struggles
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Has Kodachi ever actually been able to hit Akane in combat?
As for why she's able to parry her brother's attacks, remember that she's known him all her life. She's likely far more familiar with his fighting style than anyone else in the series.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:42 am

Southern Cross wrote:Has Kodachi ever actually been able to hit Akane in combat?
Kodachi has never really done anything but play around with Akane. Any thing Akane does to her seems to be only because Kodachi lets Akane do it. It sounds stupid, but it's the only way to explain Kodachi just waiting for Akane to throw her, and then the perfect recovery on Kodachi's part. It also fits her personality as Kodachi seems to believes Akane is beneath her.

Kodachi seems to have speed, agility, and reach thanks to weapons over Akane for certain, and Kodachi seems to be at least about as strong as Akane if not stronger.

Southern Cross wrote:As for why she's able to parry her brother's attacks, remember that she's known him all her life. She's likely far more familiar with his fighting style than anyone else in the series.
It's not just her brother that Kodachi fights at least evenly with, but also Ukyo and Shampoo. Kodachi has knock down drag out fights with people who can easily defeat Akane if they want to.

I seem to recall Tatewaki honestly trying to kill Kodachi and she the same over photos, but I can't recall the story line's name.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:29 am

Personally,considering Kodachi was trying to incapacitate Akane so that St. Herbekere would win by forfeit in her first appearance, and considering the fact that both Shampoo and Ukyo both tend to use weapons (especially Ukyo) while Akane frequently fights barehanded, there is another possibility- Kodachi is so used to using weapons in combat she has trouble handling an unarmed opponent.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 am

Southern Cross wrote:Personally,considering Kodachi was trying to incapacitate Akane so that St. Herbekere would win by forfeit in her first appearance, and considering the fact that both Shampoo and Ukyo both tend to use weapons (especially Ukyo) while Akane frequently fights barehanded, there is another possibility- Kodachi is so used to using weapons in combat she has trouble handling an unarmed opponent.
I'd like to see where Kodachi seriously tried to take Akane out before the gymnastics match because I can't recall a single time Kodachi didn't give Akane more then ample warning she was going to attack. It's not an ambush if you wait for the other person to see you.

You're forgetting that Kodachi normally plays the cat to her mouse. We see this in the scene when Ranma first meets Kodachi, and we never see Akane do anything Kodachi does not let her do that I can recall.
Shampoo can easily over power Akane, is so fast Akane can't even react, is far more skilled, and far more durable, and Ukyo is a match for Shampoo.

Ranma throws Kodachi hundreds of meters up and out of the ring, but Kodachi easily makes a perfect landing. Akane has no such skill or resistance to damage.

If Kodachi fuaght Akane like we see her fight Ranma then Akane would lose, but we don't see anything close to what Kodachi does against Ranma when she faces Akane implying she is holding back like Ranma does.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 pm

When she attacked Akane in her bedroom there was no warning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:03 am

camk4evr wrote:When she attacked Akane in her bedroom there was no warning.

Akane walks into her room.

Lays down on her belly.

At some point Akane rolls over, looks up, and sees Kodachi.

Kodachi and Akane just stair at each other.

Then Kodachi tells Akane to prepare herself and attacks. Akane jumps out of bed.
That looks like Kodachi let Akane know she was there, challenged Akane, and then attacked. It could be argued the challenge came when Kodachi attacked, but they just stared at each other for a few seconds, and Akane knew why Kodachi was there. Akane had also been told to expect to be attacked before the match by the gymnastics team.

That looks like a lot of warning to me, and far more warning then most characters give Ranma. Kodachi might as well have been on the floor in plain site, and she keeps doing things like this when she attacks Akane throughout the series. Kodachi always gives Akane ample warning before attacking, and Akane is scared of fighting Kodachi.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 am

Granted, Kodachi doesn't attack until Akane turns onto her back, but what about what happens soon after, when Kodachi attacked Akane from behind while she was distracted? Kodachi did not give her ample warning, not a bit; it was Akane's own danger sense that warned her and she was able to turn around and disarm Kodachi with a kick. It was the same at school: Akane sensed Kodachi's sneak attack before Kodachi said or did anything to make her presence known, and caught the shinai one-handed. She also managed to dodge Kodachi's ribbon attack soon after that. Beyond that, there's no evidence that she's scared of fighting Kodachi, especially if the story with that doctored photograph is any indication, or the fact that she had been bound and determined to have that martial arts rhythmic gymnastics match with her.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:54 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Granted, Kodachi doesn't attack until Akane turns onto her back, but what about what happens soon after, when Kodachi attacked Akane from behind while she was distracted? Kodachi did not give her ample warning, not a bit; it was Akane's own danger sense that warned her and she was able to turn around and disarm Kodachi with a kick.
Kodachi had just had a door smash her in the face, and the fact Akane could be surprised by someone she knew was there speaks poorly of Akane's abilities.

Then there is the fact Kodachi does not appear to be skilled in the use of the large mallet. She is rather clumsy when using it.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:It was the same at school: Akane sensed Kodachi's sneak attack before Kodachi said or did anything to make her presence known, and caught the shinai one-handed.
Why does Akane need a danger sense to see someone right in front of her attacking in a predictable manner?

Did you notice the shinai was never going to hit Akane, and how clumsy Kodachi was in it's use? Kodachi wasn't there for Akane after all.

Given Kodachi is shown to be able to easily sneak up on Akane we can assume Kodachi was not trying to hide.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:She also managed to dodge Kodachi's ribbon attack soon after that.
You mean with what looks like Ranma's help? Given where Ranma's hand is I'm surprised Akane didn't beat Ranma for being a pervert, but then I guess that just shows how scared of Kodachi Akane is.

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Beyond that, there's no evidence that she's scared of fighting Kodachi, especially if the story with that doctored photograph is any indication, or the fact that she had been bound and determined to have that martial arts rhythmic gymnastics match with her.
This is Akane you are talking about, the girl forgets how good other people are compared to her rather quickly. She forgot Ranma was extremely more capable then she is in about one night when Ranma first showed up.

If it doesn't fit in Akne's neat little world view it often just gets edited out of her memory.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Which unfortunately isn't uncommon in the Ranmaverse- Tatekawai & the Amazons tend to have their own weird grasp on reality.
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Oy vey...

Zwzn wrote:Kodachi had just had a door smash her in the face, and the fact Akane could be surprised by someone she knew was there speaks poorly of Akane's abilities.

Then there is the fact Kodachi does not appear to be skilled in the use of the large mallet. She is rather clumsy when using it.

Kodachi did not seem ill-affected while attacking Akane after being hit with the door. Just look. With your eyes. I didn't see any stars or birdies around Kodachi's head, her eyes swirly, or her body wobbly. The mallet was clearly on target: namely, the back of Akane's head. There's also nothing that shows her being clumsy with the mallet. Only that which might be imagined by someone who sees what they want to see.

Why does Akane need a danger sense to see someone right in front of her attacking in a predictable manner?

Did you notice the shinai was never going to hit Akane, and how clumsy Kodachi was in it's use? Kodachi wasn't there for Akane after all.

Given Kodachi is shown to be able to easily sneak up on Akane we can assume Kodachi was not trying to hide.

Maybe because Kodachi wasn't right in front of her, but above? Why would it trigger her danger sense (which it did) if she could see her in the first place? And it's hardly predictable when this is only the second time that Kodachi has attacked her, or else she might have been looking out for her and thus catch sight of her instead of needing her danger sense to alert her of an impending attack. Akane says nothing that conveys her expectation of yet another attack, or at least one so soon.

Akane had enough time to step away from the shinai's target zone. Also, Kodachi wasn't fumbling or dropping the shinai, both before and after Akane caught it. She had a tight grip and she kept the shinai steady.

And you'd believe Kodachi about her not being there to attack Akane, after she had failed to do just that? *Snickers* There's just no way I can take any argument of yours seriously after that...

I don't even want to try to figure out the reasoning regarding the last thing you said. It makes no sense at all.

You mean with what looks like Ranma's help? Given where Ranma's hand is I'm surprised Akane didn't beat Ranma for being a pervert, but then I guess that just shows how scared of Kodachi Akane is.

How did I know that you were going to say that Ranma had given her help? Which he didn't. If you look closely (I'm not holding my breath), you can see the white of his sleeve where his hand is, which is down at his side -- the side closest to Akane. It's far too unnatural for Ranma to reach across his chest to take Akane's hand when his other hand is closer and easier for the task. Beyond that, whenever Ranma has helped Akane in such a way it's made very obvious because Akane will react to that sort of treatment, for better or worse.

Also, even before this incident, Ranma had carried Akane in his (her, at the time) arms. I didn't see any pervert-bashing there. And don't you dare say that it was because Ranma was a girl at the time; that has nothing to do with it, and the end of the second chapter is more than enough proof that Akane considers Ranma a guy no matter what sex his body may be at the time.

And I don't know what your obsession with Akane being scared of Kodachi is all about. Like I said before, if she were afraid of Kodachi she wouldn't have gone into the lion's den and snuck into Kodachi's room during the story where Kodachi was using a doctored photo of Ranma and herself. (You know, the story where Akane had made Ranma some cookies and Kodachi had stolen them.) Akane is at most cautious when it comes to Kodachi, but afraid she is not.

This is Akane you are talking about, the girl forgets how good other people are compared to her rather quickly. She forgot Ranma was extremely more capable then she is in about one night when Ranma first showed up.

If it doesn't fit in Akne's neat little world view it often just gets edited out of her memory.

You do know that you're arguing against Akane being scared, don't you? If she convinces herself that she's stronger than them, or forgets that they're stronger than her, then what reason is there to fear them? Come on. I feel like I'm killing a baby seal every time I respond to this sort of flawed logic. That said, I really think I should withdraw from responding any further. Just assume that whatever last word you might put forth I will likely disagree with on the basis of it not making sense. Because I simply don't see what you're seeing, much less how one could.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma