Who knows about the curses?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Who knows about the curses?

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 pm

I think all the character know about all the curses, with the exception being Akane accepting that P-chan is Ryoga. I think she really knows it, but she'd rather not except it. She did see Ryoga with the Charlette locket.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed May 25, 2011 5:06 pm

The Jusenkyo Guide and, by extension, Plum.

They have a registry of EVERY person that has gone to jusenkyo, cursed or not.

And then Taro got a hold of the registry and visited them (and he knows they are cursed), so he knows as well (it also proves that the that the registry is not merely a list of people who visited).

I agree with lioconvoy, though. I think everyone knows except akane for Ryoga. Its just funnier that way.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Well it might be assumed Ukyo doesn't know about Mousse and maybe Taro, but I'm sure she at least knows about Shampoo. Of couse if we're talking about Anime conitnuity I think she most definitely knows about everyone after the events of the second movie.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu May 26, 2011 2:41 am

Ranma and Genma's curses are known by everyone in the main series barring the Kuno family. The Kunos are ignorant of Genma because they have never encountered him in cursed form. They are ignorant of Ranma because no explanation at all has been given to Kodachi and Kuno has received only the useless "her (girl Ranma) body and soul both belong to Ranma", which is more logically understood as meaning "she is utterly devoted to him and head over heels in love with him, to the extent that they are sexual lovers" - which Kuno, naturally, is far too egotistical to accept (a girl who he is attracted to NOT swooning over him? It's unthinkable!). As a consequence, the Kunos believe the two Ranmas are seperate entities, with the "enemy Ranma" knowing a variant of the ninja body switch technique that s/he uses to displace the "lover Ranma".

Ryoga's curse is known by Ranma, Genma, Soun Tendo, Shampoo, Mousse and Cologne. Akane is variously believed to either be ignorant or to be aware but subconsciously denying it, as she has a lot of faith in Ryoga and would be devastated to learn he has been taking advantage of her naivety by pretending to be her pet.

Shampoo's curse is known by the Saotomes, the Tendo family, Cologne, Mousse, and I think Ryoga. Whether Ukyo or the Kunos know, I am unable to say - I believe Ukyo knows in the anime.

Mousse's curse is known to Shampoo, Cologne, Ryoga, the Saotomes, and the Tendo family. Ukyo may be ignorant of his curse in the manga but aware in the anime.

All of the characters except the Kunos and likely Ukyo know of Taro's curse. Taro, meanwhile, is aware of everyone's curse, as are the Jusenkyo Guide and Plum.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu May 26, 2011 3:10 am

"her (girl Ranma) body and soul both belong to Ranma", which is more logically understood as meaning "she is utterly devoted to him and head over heels in love with him, to the extent that they are sexual lovers" - which Kuno, naturally, is far too egotistical to accept

Honestly, from Nabiki's explanation, followed by the immediate disappearance of girl-Ranma to be replaced by guy-Ranma?

The 'sorceror binding her to him' explanation actually makes sense. Frankly, from the way Nabiki phrased it, the sorceror bit actually makes more sense.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu May 26, 2011 12:24 pm

In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that Akane can not know that Ryoga is P-chan without willful denial. Or if she suffers from some kind of dissociative disorder (like amnesia) that kicks in to protect her from something traumatic, or something like that. I mean, the martial arts figure skating story practically offers the evidence to her on a silver platter. Azusa points out that the collar that Ryoga was wearing was the same as the one that she had given Charlotte (aka P-chan). Not only is Ryoga not known for wearing collars, but what are the chances that he'd wear one that looks like that and happens to be the same kind worn by "Charlotte?" Akane gets a good, long, scrutinizing look, and comes up blank? When she knows about Jusenkyo curses? It makes me wonder why she treats Ryoga so well, when his first few appearances shouldn't (in my opinion) have had a positive impact on her... Just seems suspect to me.

I'm not saying that Akane knows, since Takahashi clearly portrays her as someone who doesn't. But it's much less believable, to me, than the reason for why Tatewaki and Kodachi don't connect the dots. Between not knowing about Jusenkyo, and (at least in Tatewaki's case) how the information about the relationship between the male and female Ranma was given, their ignorance is a lot more understandable. That's why I'm not against fan-fiction stories where Akane secretly knows that P-chan is Ryoga's cursed form.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Thu May 26, 2011 2:06 pm

A bit off-topic. There's now a quite funny fanfic being written in Russian. Ranma is fed up with Tatewaki so the pigtailed girl takes him to Jusenkyou and pushes him into the spring of drowned girl.

How do you think, does Tatewaki believe in the curses now?

Right. She does not. She's a long lost third sibling, Tatemi Kunou, who has a recurring amnesia (and often finds herself wet, with no memories of what happened prior). So the final result is the male Tatewaki (suffering from random bouts of amnesia now) trying to woo girl-Ranma and slay the evil sorcerer while the female Tatewaki is trying to woo guy-Ranma and get rid of the red-haired harridan.

Hilarity abound and, I should say, it fits the series' spirit very well :p That's exactly wah would happen if you tried to solve Kunou's disbelieving by cursing him.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Thu May 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that Akane can not know that Ryoga is P-chan without willful denial.

I've read one or two fics where either Shampoo or Cologne used memory shampoo on her to prevent her from remembering that she knows.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 pm

That's sort of unfair, though, Cheb. I mean, it's entertaining, but...

Because no one explains it to him and he never even hears about the curse, he doesn't believe it. He's not disbelieving the story, no one has told him the story. And because he doesn't believe due to no one telling him, it logically follows that if someone tells him and demonstrates, he will develop a split personality and still not believe it?
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Because no one explains it to him and he never even hears about the curse, he doesn't believe it. He's not disbelieving the story, no one has told him the story. And because he doesn't believe due to no one telling him, it logically follows that if someone tells him and demonstrates, he will develop a split personality and still not believe it?

This.

Changes genders with application of gender, or controlled by a sorcerer? Both are plausible in the Ranma universe, no one explains to him otherwise, and the latter explanation appeals to him/he might get something out of it.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 am

That's sort of unfair, though [...] Because no one explains it to him and he never even hears about the curse,

I think you are wrong, by two reasons:
first, AFAIR they did try to explain it to him. He didn't listen so they just gave up on that. But they tried.
second, he's a pest who doesn't want to hear "no". A determined one. In light of this, a little retribution is in order.

Plus, in this particular fic he tried a love potion on Ranma. They were lucky it wasn't Akane (purely by luck) as the potion wore off after the pigtailed girl took a hot shower before going to bed with her beloved :shock: :x After that, it was rrrrrevenge Image

f course, explaining anything to the Kuno family requires them to actually sit down and listen.

Which they are clinically incapable of doing :P
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma