For Ranma to like Akane...

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

For Ranma to like Akane...

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 am

Does that mean that he's a masochist who likes girls that don't listen to him, don't trust him, think little of him, and are violent?

Discuss.

(Just a bit of a silly thought. I was just thinking that, if he's stuck with a Tendo out of obligation, what's stopping him from choosing Kasumi? I mean, being three years older would be a trifle detail to someone of normal tastes, who'd rather not be hit, fed bad food, et cetera. Sure, there's Tofu to consider, but it's almost certain that there will be no initiative on his part, and Kasumi hasn't shown any real sign of interest in him. Then there's Kasumi's feelings to consider, but I imagine that she'd be a lot more amenable and mature than Akane, and would be willing to put in the effort so the arrangement would work out, and thus have no regrets when all is said and done.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: For Ranma to like Akane...

Postby Drawde » Wed May 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Akane has her nice moments too. Those are the reason he sticks with her.

Not all Ranma's problems with Akane are her fault either. They BOTH need to grow up more.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Yeah, but the nice moments aren't her main feature. For Ranma to like her because of that, it's like wanting to see a movie because you know a certain commercial will play every now and again in the meantime. Or like appreciating the death of a loved one because it came with a silver lining. XD It's kind of like a majority rule thing. Or a nine-tenths of the law sort of deal: you don't expect that one-tenth to make up the difference in your favor. I think there would have to be something wrong in Ranma's head to favor Akane over someone who can treat him a lot better in their sleep. (Quite literally, too: because Akane's a violent sleeper! XD )

Ah, I like shit and giggle topics.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Well, looking at this objectively...

One problem with switching is that, if Ranma chooses a "normal girl", he puts her in serious danger from Shampoo, Kodachi and possibly even Ukyo (though I think that, even in the manga, she's normally the least violent towards her rivals). Akane may be kind of pathetic in terms of fighting skill, but she's still enough of a fighter that she could evade an attack and continue to hold off her assailant until Ranma arrives to help her. Kasumi, on the other hand, could be taken out effortlessly by even Kodachi, the one member of Ranma's fiancee pack who even Akane can defeat.

A second problem is that even if Ranma wanted to switch to Kasumi, nobody else would let him. Akane is, honestly, kind of spoiled by her family, who are quick to get up Ranma's case for any perceived hurt inflicted upon her. If Ranma tries to switch over to Kasumi, he'll have an outraged Akane (who'll be running on a combination of hurt that he would try and leave her and rage that he would dump her and outrage that he would chase after her pure, innocent, needs-to-be-sheltered-from-the-world elder sister), a livid Soun, and a furious Ryoga all on his case, making his life hell until he switched back.

And another possibility is that, while we would see Akane as a less than satisfactory potential mate, Ranma's own tastes are so screwed up due to his upbringing that she honestly seems like the best candidate. Though I will conceed Genma may not be entirely to blame, Ranma is shown in canon to actually be very shy and uncertain when it comes to intimacy; when people start acting nice and sweet towards him, Ranma's disarmed, confused, uncertain of how to act. Akane, in addition to fact she does make sincere gestures of friendship and caring from time to time, is normally a fairly quiet, reserved sort around Ranma; when things aren't crazy and they aren't fighting, Ranma and Akane just sort of lounge around together. To Ranma, that feels comfortable, and so the fights and temper tantrums are more like streaks of lightning in a silver cloud.

Plus, let's face it, Ranma is no exception to the rule of people in this series tending to just ignore things that they don't want to acknowledge. Right now, it's very much in character for Ranma to focus on the fact that he and AKane can be in each other's presence without killing each other and she can be nice and sweet and thusly assume that means that they can and will work out, totally ignoring other matters like her lack of trust in him.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu May 12, 2011 5:25 am

As far as endangerment goes, who's to say? Unlike Akane, Kasumi has more in the way of respect going for her. However, with the probable exception of Kodachi, it's unlikely that Ukyo or Shampoo would threaten her. This is considering how they only presented a threat to Akane (and one time to Nabiki) because of circumstance, either because they were caught up in what was going on or because Akane was in a more secluded place than her bedroom (which is when Shampoo would try to kill her). With Kasumi usually staying home and uninvolved with the various things that happen, she'd probably only have to worry about Kodachi. However, considering how Takahashi works, Kasumi would likely always somehow come out fine, even without help.

I really don't understand why no one else would let him switch to Kasumi, whether it was his choice or not. Especially Ryoga, since he'd be as happy as a hog in slop. ;p As far as Akane is concerned, despite how she feels about it she'd start off as if she didn't care, which would then suit Ranma just fine. You know, because they're childish like that. Since Akane won't express any problem with it, her father won't see a problem, either. I'd say that the only real deterrent would be Kasumi herself, but she's unlikely to do more than express concern, rather than disagreement, seeing as she's unattached and without any known interest in someone or something else. (I say "something" because she may want to stay a virgin, or a relationship would get in the way of what she planned to do.)

I don't think that intimacy is too much of an issue, in and of itself. I think the bigger problem is that he doesn't like being embarrassed, which is a tie-in with his pride. Being the one to admit one's feelings is considered embarrassing to him (same with Akane). He doesn't have much of a problem talking about things that we might otherwise think are embarrassing subjects, even with Akane. For instance, he had no problem asking Akane whether her breasts had gotten smaller or not, and they even continued to argue about it the next morning. Basically, there wouldn't be too much difference between Akane and Kasumi, except Kasumi is unlikely to confuse him, disarm him or otherwise make him guarded when she acts nice, because that's how she normally acts. Besides which, Kasumi is just far too frank for him to have the same problem with misunderstandings that he has with Akane. This all means that, even though he can get along with Kasumi a lot better and easier, he still prefers Akane over her. Maybe it's because he prefers the conflict, which then leads to the silly assertion I made in the opening post. ;p I mean, he's openly stated that Kasumi is sweet, so if he's interested in Akane, who's only sweet a small part of the time...
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 pm

There's also the issue of Akane having being distorted in the Viz translation. I tried to wade through the manga with a dictionary in hand and I noticed right away: What is seen as hitting Ranma then bitching in the English version, looks like hitting Ranma then pouting cutely in the Japanese original. With the weight switched from "what an jerk-ass" in the English version to "what an ingrate, he couldn't appreciate a honest effort to help him" in the Japanese original.

Mind you, this requires a lot more investigation before it could be confirmed. Any heroes knowing Japanese here?
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun May 15, 2011 5:27 am

Considering how often she resorts to violence, I don't think it would make a difference if there's a discrepancy in what she says. When you really think about it, she's no better (if not worse) than the other girls that Ranma shows no romantic interest in. In fact, she's about as/more self-deluded as/than Tatewaki (saying that she can do this or that, is this or that, yet can't or isn't to an acceptable degree or at all). Because she's around so much, she essentially gets to be the one who treats him the worst... yet she's the one that he shows interest in. In that way, Ranma might as well be a pervert. ;p
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun May 15, 2011 8:35 am

I don't think it would make a difference if there's a discrepancy in what she says.

I think it's more like she was designed to be portrayed in a more forgivable way. (her cutenes factor is much higher in the Japanese original).

yet she's the one that he shows interest in. In that way, Ranma might as well be a pervert. ;p

I think this double standard (however misogynistic it could look) is a remainder from harsher ages when it was justified. In a world of manual labor and no modern conveniences the women's lot is so much harsher that they deserve a lot of slack. Btw. this is partly true for the animal kingdom.
So Ranma probably just thinks it is natural that it is ok when a girl hits a guy. Especially considering there's always some justification for her hitting him (enough for him, even if we find it grossly insufficient).

Mmm... Can we call this a kind of a chivalry code?
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun May 15, 2011 10:43 am

Chivalry? XD

I can't really say that I understood what you said, or how allowing women to be abusive is misogynistic. Generally, unless the person in question is a masochist, it's my belief that liking someone like Akane would be considered unhealthy, if not deviant behavior. This is also coming from the understanding that meaningful relationships are built upon trust, which Akane has in limited capacity in regard to Ranma.

Now that I think about it, Akane and Ranma aren't so different from Genma and Nodoka (respectively), relationship-wise. Regardless of how bad Genma is, Nodoka, despite clear misgivings about him (such as claiming that he was lying to her even before he said anything), is willing to put up with him, for the most part. (I'm suddenly finding it really amusing to compare Akane with Genma in this way. Ah, to be the "Genma" in the relationship. ;p )
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 am

This is also coming from the understanding that meaningful relationships are built upon trust,

Then it's the Values Dissonance. Don't forget that Japan has just left the medieval period (with medieval mentality holding as far as end of WW2). Ranma & family are, by their virtue, traditionalists keeping the old values. For them, the medieval age ended yesterday (or didn't end at all?)

It's cute and proper when a girl hits a guy for a slightest wrond done to her. If you don't understand it means you're a baka gaijin, nothing else :lol:
I bet Ranma would find your views weird. :P

P.S. You gave me an idea, I'll try to incorporate this values dissonance into my fic to a comedic effect :)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sun May 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:r how allowing women to be abusive is misogynistic.

Misogynic, no. Sexist, however, yes.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

It is more complex in my opinion.

Part of Ranma's liking Akane maybe due to his competitive nature. People like Tatewaki, all the school kids, Gosunkugi, Mikado, Ryoga, etc. wanting her might be part of why he is interested in her. We are shown that Ranma is extremely competitive after all.

Another thing about her that may interest him is that she is so contradictory sending very conflicting signals (such as hitting him and calling him a pervert and yet at other times she has goaded him to kiss her -for example ice skating arc). Unlike everyone else he can't figure out her motives or behavior (which Ranma is generally really good at seeing how he is constantly doing that mostly to use it against people or just to satisfy his curiosity).

Another thing is even though she causes him problems and hits him she is also one of the very few who also help him on occasion not wanting anything in return (even though her help is often as much a hindrance as a help).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Does that mean that he's a masochist who likes girls that don't listen to him, don't trust him, think little of him, and are violent?

Discuss.

(Just a bit of a silly thought. I was just thinking that, if he's stuck with a Tendo out of obligation, what's stopping him from choosing Kasumi? I mean, being three years older would be a trifle detail to someone of normal tastes, who'd rather not be hit, fed bad food, et cetera. Sure, there's Tofu to consider, but it's almost certain that there will be no initiative on his part, and Kasumi hasn't shown any real sign of interest in him. Then there's Kasumi's feelings to consider, but I imagine that she'd be a lot more amenable and mature than Akane, and would be willing to put in the effort so the arrangement would work out, and thus have no regrets when all is said and done.)

Part of Ranma being engaged to Akane is that Kasumi doesn't want to be engaged to him, and he openly feels Nabiki is a worse fate then Akane.

Another thing to keep in mind is Ranma doesn't want to marry Ukyo, any Tendo, or Shampoo, and openly admits he doesn't care about for filling any of the engagements Genma made, and even after Saffron where he may or may not have admitted he loves Akane he did not want to marry her.

It is possible Ranma only stays at the Tendo Dojo because he knows he will be dragged back(literally if need be), and feels it's his duty to go to school nearby.

Given how little we know about what Kasumi actual does she could be engaged to someone already
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma