What if Akane was NOT Ranma's fiancée?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

What if Akane was NOT Ranma's fiancée?

Postby Dumbledork » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 am

I've yet again read a story where another Tendo girl becomes Ranma's fiancée and just like in most other similar stories Akane is constantly accusing Ranma of being a pervert and Akane's only mission seems to be to make sure Ranma does nothing perverted to her sisters.

Now I've been wondering. Would Akane really react like that? If Ranma didn't have to deal with her wouldn't she just mind her own business?

I think this might be true for any Ranma/Nabiki pairings since I got the impression she doesn't reall hold her sister in high regard.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: What if Akane was NOT Ranma's fiancée?

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 am

I'd say no.

A large part of why Akane and Ranma act towards each other is the enforced proximity. Suon and Genma push Akane and Ranma together whenever possible. This has many implications -- they both see each other in more compromising situations than anyone else would, they know which buttons to push to annoy the other.

Ranma and Akane's first encounter was really on the wrong foot.. The "I'm better built to boot" and the table being whacked on Ranma's head was a direct event after they were declared engaged -- maybe if this event didn't occur, their first impression of one another could have changed.

Also the other fiances might very well treat ranma differently if he were engaged to Nabiki or Kasumi. For example, Ukyo has no problems throwing herself at Ranma in Akane's presence, but if Ranma were engaged to Kasumi, I have a feeling Ukyo would would take a less physical way of winning Ranma over, thus, less instances of Ranma and Ukyo in potentially compromising situations for Akane to see. Heck, I have a feeling even shampoo (provided she doesn't kill Kasumi) will balk at jumping on Ranma at Kasumi's presence. Less touchy feely shampoo, less odds of Akane bringing up the pervert card.

Nabiki, that really depends on how Nabiki treats the engagement. If she treats the engagement like a joke (like the way she treated Ranma during that arguement between her and Akane) and Akane picks up on it, Akane will probably ignore any "pervert" instances. Hey, if her elder sister isn't taking it seriously, she likely wouldn't. Heck if Nabiki treats RAnma like a cash cow (which she does in canon), Akane might very well be sympathetic.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Shanami » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 am

I think an interesting counterpoint to that would be if Nabiki was taking the engagement seriously. I think all it would take to completely shift the relationships around would be a dry, rather than a wet day in Nerima. Nabiki is portrayed as being extremely interested in the engagement while Kasumi only cares about the age of her fiance and Akane is completely uninterested. If Ranma had shown up male, Nabiki may well have pounced on him. Then the curse could have come out in a less revealing manner, and it is quite likely that Akane and Ranma wouldn't really mind each other if they didn't get off to an antagonistic start.

They may still have something of a rocky relationship, but it is also quite possible that they would get along just fine.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon May 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Now I've been wondering. Would Akane really react like that? If Ranma didn't have to deal with her wouldn't she just mind her own business?

As far as any perceived pervertedness goes? Very likely. If she's so often unwilling to trust Ranma or give him the benefit of the doubt when we know that she has at least some feelings for him, then it's only logical to assume that it wouldn't get any better if the engagement were switched or started out differently to begin with. Akane is also protective enough of her sisters if she thinks that someone is trying to get too familiar with them, and there's nothing (as far as I'm aware) to say that she would defend them any differently. It would really depend on the circumstances, as far as Nabiki is concerned, but even then I doubt that she'd turn a blind eye if she thought that she was being molested (which, of course, is the kind of assumption she tends to jump to).

Basically, Akane will be likened to a classical Skuld, who likes to get between Keiichi and Belldandy, at the very least (if only for a different reason). There are only two scenarios that I can think of, where Akane might actually leave Ranma to his own devices in regard to one of her sisters. The first is that it's made obvious to Akane that said sister, despite the arrangement having been made against her will, actually enjoys being with Ranma. The other is if Ranma somehow attains the same status as Ryoga does (which seems very unlikely, in my opinion), rather than having an antagonistic relationship with him.

In the end, Ranma will probably always have to deal with her. What with living under the same roof, and all. Akane has a problem with boys and is more often than not going to be on the lookout for perverted behavior; especially toward whomever she has an antagonistic relationship with, or simply doesn't like. An author approaching this from a serious angle will really have to sell the kind of circumstances required for Akane to mind herself (at least most of the time), if canon and IC is important to them. That's my take on it, anyway.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Like other posters have said, while part of the vehemence depends on which sister Rama is engaged to (Akane loves and adores Kasumi, so she'll be much more paranoid, while she bickers and squabbles with Nabiki fairly often, so she'll be less interested), it's pretty in-character for Akane to keep treating Ranma as a pervert. Her problems with the male gender were not caused by Ranma, he was merely the most common target for them in canon. In this situation they're still under the same roof, and while they may not be grating on each other's nerves as often as in canon, Akane isn't going to be seeing as much of Ranma's nicer qualities as she does in canon - no desperate gambits to protect her, no efforts to look out for her, no struggling to save her. If Akane does get herself into trouble in a scenario where Ranma's been engaged to one of her sisters from the beginning, Akane will know that Ranma is only stepping on for her sister's sake, not hers, and that's just going to make her mad.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 pm

I don't remember Akane having any trouble with boys other than Ranma. She's even polite to Tatewaki when he's not trying anything with her.

I think she'd treat Ranma like any of the other boys in the series, including Ranma. She'd be polite unless he was actively, or accidentally, doing something.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Hard to say. While she may be slightly more mellow since it's not her who's being "married to the pervert", I could still see her being sceptical of Ranma and acting very overprotective of the sister who is being engaged to him, especially considering the fact that neither one of them has martial arts abilities.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma