Could a "time skip" for Ranma 1/2 be a good idea?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Could a "time skip" for Ranma 1/2 be a good idea?

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 pm

If there was a time skip after the Saffron and the failed wedding (like Naruto, One Piece or Dragonball) , do people feel that it would have been appropriate for the Ranma 1/2 series as it is? If so, give an idea of what you think could have happened during the time in between.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Could a "time skip" for Ranma 1/2 be a good idea?

Postby Lioconvoy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't really think a time skip could work with Ranma 1/2, the other seires that you mentioned at least had a normal flow that could be skipped. With Ranma 1/2 the flow of time isn't constant and the only time we know when a certian amount of time has passed is when we're told how long Ranma waited for Ryoga.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm

About one of the only ways I could see a timeskip for Ranma is if you wanted to write a story about his kids or the kids of the NWC in general. It could be particularly funny if you don't make it clear who the parents are for each child for a while, letting people make all sorts of wrong assumptions before it gets sorted out.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:47 pm

I think it would likely be dreadful...

If the timeskip goes clear to the next generation... then why would I care? It is not about the characters that got me interested in the series. In fan fiction, most are either badly done or just jump right in. I would need a ton of backdrop given, and if they are skipping it, that ruins it for me.

If the timeskip goes to later in the main characters lives, say end of college, or graduating high school... then what is the point? The manga was careful to leave everything exactly as it was. The final statements by Soun, Ranma, and Akane prove everything is to remain status quo relationship wise for the forseeable future (even despite the massive betrayal of Ranma by Akane at the wedding), but their personalities I would not expect to remain the same. I've only seen a few decent fan fiction stories of that nature, and in most of those... it is either because they became so AU as to not matter, only focus on some of the cast, or in some way involve time travel back to in series to change things.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:46 pm

There are a lot of time skips that happen in Ranma 1/2, but they last a few weeks at most. Remember Ranma runs around playing superhero, and training off screen.

A time skip like in Naruto would be fairly pointless for Ranma1/2 because you would only do such a thing when there is nothing much of interest happening, and would be a fairly boring time.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma