Does Akane have Brain Damage?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Does Akane have Brain Damage?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Let's not apply personal perceptions to intention, which distorts the reality. We all have our comfort zones and interests, which is understandable, but it shouldn't displace what something really is. It's bad enough that the opening post did it.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Zwzn wrote:If you read the manga closely you will see Akane scares her classmates with her behavior. It's not slapstick, but really happening in universe. Characters actually marvel at how fast Ranma heals from the beatings he gets from Akane, Kodachi, Shampoo, Ukyo, and so on..
KonokoHasano wrote:It's SUPPOSED to be slapstick. It's just that people tend to view it differently and make more out of it than they should.
It's suppose to be happening in-universe, and was that way since at least the martial arts ice skating arc which is the fourth story line.

KonokoHasano wrote:I don't see Akane or any of the other cast members having brain damage. They just have random quirks that get flanderized to a degree as the series goes on

I don't think you mean Flanderization :?:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... derization
The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until the character or work in question becomes a grotesque cartoonish self-parody of what it used to be. Sitcoms and Sitcom characters are particularly susceptible to this, as are peripheral characters in shows with long runs.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Half of the characters in the series become flanderized. Nabiki goes from a character with some depth who also likes money to being about nothing but money. Kasumi loses her occasionally perverse sense of humour and little ways of getting revenge to become just a Yamato Nadeshiko. Far from experiencing character growth, most of the characters in the series slowly lose anything that doesn't conform to a particular sterotype, with several of them becoming parodies of their starting characters.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Kinda part an parcel of the "eternal summer" thing. Character growth would imply a change in status quo, something Takashi seemed dead set against even until the end.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:Kinda part an parcel of the "eternal summer" thing. Character growth would imply a change in status quo, something Takashi seemed dead set against even until the end.

Which is, after all, the reason we write fanfic. We want growth, and closure, neither of which were in the otherwise-admirable original Takahashi gave us.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Zwzn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:51 am

by Wyrd » wrote: Half of the characters in the series become flanderized. Nabiki goes from a character with some depth who also likes money to being about nothing but money. Kasumi loses her occasionally perverse sense of humour and little ways of getting revenge to become just a Yamato Nadeshiko. Far from experiencing character growth, most of the characters in the series slowly lose anything that doesn't conform to a particular sterotype, with several of them becoming parodies of their starting characters.

The symptoms of brain damage are there from start to finish. They are never shown to get worse, and they never go away.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma