Does Akane have Brain Damage?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Does Akane have Brain Damage?

Postby Zwzn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 pm

I was recently researching brain damage when I started to notice the symptoms match Akane Tendo's behavior perfectly, and explain everything about her including why/how she "heard" Ranma say he loved her at the end of the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_dama ... d_symptoms

So what do you the reader think? Does a head injury explain Akane's behavior, Kasumi's description of her, and Soun's having stopped training Akane in Martial arts for seemingly no reason? What do you think it might not explain?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Re: Does Akane have Brain Damage?

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm

The entire ranma CAST have varying degrees of brain damage.

Move along...
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:12 am

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:The entire ranma CAST have varying degrees of brain damage.

Move along...

The entire cast do not exhibit the symptoms of brain damage. The symptoms match other problems better.
Last edited by Zwzn on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 am

I have seen one interesting fannon explanation for Akanes canon behavior that is a possibility that is not brain damage.

The time she was hit with the memory shampoo... how she was brought back was not really the correct unlocking procedure for the technique used. Cologne postulated to Akane in a fic that due to that her brain was in a sort of stasis or static mode and could not grow and learn... explaining less than steller grades, her inability to connect Ryoga to p-chan, her inability to advance further in art or even grow closer to Ranma.

Again... merely a fannon explanation, but interesting, and somewhat fits.

Whether you like the story or not, it was in 'Thyself Known' by Zorknot. Not a overly popular story, but one that has been around quite some time with occasional and far inbetween updates. It has a lot not to like about it, but the scenario laid down by Cologne for Akanes behavior is what prompted the noting of it here.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:I have seen one interesting fannon explanation for Akanes canon behavior that is a possibility that is not brain damage.

The time she was hit with the memory shampoo... how she was brought back was not really the correct unlocking procedure for the technique used. Cologne postulated to Akane in a fic that due to that her brain was in a sort of stasis or static mode and could not grow and learn... explaining less than steller grades, her inability to connect Ryoga to p-chan, her inability to advance further in art or even grow closer to Ranma.

Again... merely a fannon explanation, but interesting, and somewhat fits.

Whether you like the story or not, it was in 'Thyself Known' by Zorknot. Not a overly popular story, but one that has been around quite some time with occasional and far inbetween updates. It has a lot not to like about it, but the scenario laid down by Cologne for Akanes behavior is what prompted the noting of it here.

The problem with that explanation is Akane's behavior doesn't change from before and after the shampoo. In other words she had the same problems before the shampoo as after, and she does change and grow during the series.
_________

:? Is anyone even bothering to read the OP and the Link? :?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 am

Zwzn wrote:The entire cast do not exhibit the symptoms of brain damage. The symptoms match other problems better.

The entire cast are brain damaged one way or another. Trust me on this. :twisted:
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 am

I think it's just a way of over-simplifying one's understanding of her (or their) behavior. If you want an easy answer, then go with brain damage. (Which is like calling Akane a female without acknowledging other descriptives that set her apart from other females, like her height, age, hair color, et cetera.) If not, delve into the workings of Takahashi's mind, psychology, and the behavioral allowances -- which can not easily be explained realistically -- that are given to fictional characters.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 am

been a bunch of semi-psychology views on the Ranma cast...

iirc Zen's had rage disorder (psycho bitch akane...)

problem of course with all of this is Rumiko wrote to be funny.. not to be consistent...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm just curious Zwzn what were the main symptoms from the definition of wikipedia that you are referring to with Akane's behavior?

Brain injuries often create long-term impairment or disability which can vary greatly in severity. In cases of serious brain injuries, the likelihood of areas with permanent disability is great, including neurocognitive deficits, delusions (often specifically monothematic delusions), speech or movement problems, and mental handicap. There will also be personality changes. The most severe cases result in coma or even persistent vegetative state. Even a mild incident can have long term effects or cause symptoms to appear years later.

The parts I put in bold seem pretty significant throughout the rest of the cast, at least no more than Akane (not to mention, martial arts on the scale we see on the Ranma is bound to cause people some amount of brain damage).
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

by FriendlyEL » wrote: I'm just curious Zwzn what were the main symptoms from the definition of wikipedia that you are referring to with Akane's behavior?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confabulations

Movement problems would not show up very much because of her martial arts training, and may explain why she is slow when compared to many other characters if the problems were ever there to begin with.

Personality changes would have happened before the series started, but violent outbursts like Akane has would not be unexpected.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all symptoms will necessarily manifest.

by FriendlyEL » wrote: The parts I put in bold seem pretty significant throughout the rest of the cast, at least no more than Akane (not to mention, martial arts on the scale we see on the Ranma is bound to cause people some amount of brain damage).

The truth is I talk about the behaviors of the Ranma 1/2 cast with a friend of mine who is a mental health professional. You can easily pin down what conditions a character has, and in spite of how logical it might be, brain damage does not fit most characters.

For example:
Ranma is classic Asperger syndrome, but what would be termed high functioning.

Nabiki is a classic Antisocial personality disorder
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am

Why even try to find some serious real-life explanation when there's a simpler, and more anime-sque one: she's a Type B Tsundere. Period.
You fail on knowing to watch your anime with a proper attitude.

Ah, and I'm still frowning at you.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 am

by Cheb » wrote: Why even try to find some serious real-life explanation when there's a simpler, and more anime-sque one: she's a Type B Tsundere. Period.
You fail on knowing to watch your anime with a proper attitude.

If you read the manga closely you will see Akane scares her classmates with her behavior. It's not slapstick, but really happening in universe. Characters actually marvel at how fast Ranma heals from the beatings he gets from Akane, Kodachi, Shampoo, Ukyo, and so on..

by Cheb » wrote: Ah, and I'm still frowning at you.

You for got the smiley faces.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 am

Zwzn wrote:If you read the manga closely you will see Akane scares her classmates with her behavior. It's not slapstick, but really happening in universe. Characters actually marvel at how fast Ranma heals from the beatings he gets from Akane, Kodachi, Shampoo, Ukyo, and so on..

It's SUPPOSED to be slapstick. It's just that people tend to view it differently and make more out of it than they should.

I don't see Akane or any of the other cast members having brain damage. They just have random quirks that get flanderized to a degree as the series goes on
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:59 am

KonokoHasano wrote:It's SUPPOSED to be slapstick. It's just that people tend to view it differently and make more out of it than they should.

I don't see Akane or any of the other cast members having brain damage. They just have random quirks that get flanderized to a degree as the series goes on

There is much in what you say, but some people cannot see slapstick as funny. I absolutely cannot watch the Three Stooges, am uncomfortable with Laurel and Hardy, and shudder every time I see an ad for the latest Jackass movie. To me, hitting people, falling on your head, or having a piano run you down, is not funny.

I think we're seeing two styles of perception here. This argument comes up over and over here: do we take the things that happen to <character> seriously, or do we laugh at them? I don't laugh. Some people do.

It's not the violence. I write murder mysteries. Just sold my first book, and in it, five people are killed and another gets his hand cut off. But by damn, there was a reason for each of these things! It's pointless violence, especially when it's intended to make me laugh, that bothers me.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Wyrd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:26 pm

I have to agree with you on Jackass, where the injuries are not carefully choreographed slapstick with little to no chance of causing actual injury. The term slapstick comes from the stick someone behind stage would slap to make it sound like the person on stage had actually been hit. This is also why most of the "America's Funniest Home Videos" shows and their equivalents like "TV's bloopers and Practical Jokes" or "Scare Tactics" are more disgusting to me than funny.

I did see one scene from one of these shows that I found very funny. An actor dressed as a monster/psycho(I forget which) was jumping out from behind a bush and scaring people. After successfully scaring several people, he jumped out on another unsuspecting victim who jumped up and did a spin kick to the guy's head. Seeing him get what he deserved was quite satisfying.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma