Poor Student Ranma

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Poor Student Ranma

Postby Zwzn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

by Uldihaa wrote: And no objective evidence he's doing well. We also only have his, and his father's, opinion on whether he's satisfactory. He certainly feels that way, but it's not known if others would think so.

Genma was annoyed by Ranma not being humble, and the tests being read on TV. That's canon.

Ranma is not going to be happy with a failing grade, and Ranma tends to try to be the best he can be at everything he does.

We see Ranma use books to do research, learn things very quickly, remember things easily, and make use what he has learned. Why should we think Ranma is doing poorly in school?

by Uldihaa wrote: This is the same school that has a principle trying to give everyone, including the girls, haircuts; in spite of their very loud objections.

It's part of the school dress code as Three Headed dog has said.

by Uldihaa wrote: This same principle then published the students' test scores on TV.

The balloon float to the TV station, and the TV station decided to read the test scores on the air.

by Uldihaa wrote: There certainly seems to be few behavioral standards, so I'm not all that certain if there are all that many academic ones.

Strange I seem to remember students getting in trouble for misbehaving. They certainly get in trouble for being late.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Zwzn wrote:Genma was annoyed by Ranma not being humble, and the tests being read on TV. That's canon.

Ranma is not going to be happy with a failing grade, and Ranma tends to try to be the best he can be at everything he does.

We see Ranma do research, learn things very quickly, remember things easily, and make use what he has learned. Why should we think Ranma is doing poorly in school?

Forgetting that the whole fiasco happened because Ranma was freaked out that he might have gotten a bad grade.

Probably the only evidence for Ranma being poor at school is that Hinako tutors him, but then again she is there to make him a better student, so she is just as likely to be fulfilling that role by trying to make him the best student possible, than him needing any actual tutoring.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 am

by LawOhki » wrote: Forgetting that the whole fiasco happened because Ranma was freaked out that he might have gotten a bad grade.

Ranma is all over the place in the story line, but most of that comes from the mind game. In the Viz translation Ranma seems sure the test would have shown he did well as it floats away.

Ranma: Foo. I let the chance to prove that I'm not an idiot slip away.

by LawOhki » wrote: Probably the only evidence for Ranma being poor at school is that Hinako tutors him, but then again she is there to make him a better student, so she is just as likely to be fulfilling that role by trying to make him the best student possible, than him needing any actual tutoring.

When does Hinako tutor Ranma? I'd think that would hurt Ranma's grades give how bad a teacher she is.

I thought Hinako is there to deal with trouble makers, and not to actually teach.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 am

She's the homeroom teacher for Ranma's class. I believe she teaches English.

So long as she's not distracted (which seems easy to do, especially if someone knows how to distract her), she can probably teach just fine. It's Ranma 1/2, so qualifications for teaching probably doesn't matter, but she has shown a desire to teach as a part of her method of correction, as well as without. And I don't recall any examples where she is teaching something incorrectly, when she is actually able to focus on teaching.

Either way, how Hinako would affect Ranma's grades would only be relevant to one subject.

As for the tutoring, well, she insisted during the time that Ranma went into her apartment to try and take her fighting fish, which helped her stay in adult form. Simply because she desires to teach. Not that she was able to focus on doing that very well...
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 am

I read one fic where Hinako was very good at teaching English because of her condition. She would keep giving assignments such as, "Find out what kind of candy people eat in America," which made the assignments fun enough that many of the students were enjoying studying and using English. Often, the hardest part of teaching is keeping your students interested.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:She's the homeroom teacher for Ranma's class. I believe she teaches English.

So long as she's not distracted (which seems easy to do, especially if someone knows how to distract her), she can probably teach just fine. It's Ranma 1/2, so qualifications for teaching probably doesn't matter, but she has shown a desire to teach as a part of her method of correction, as well as without. And I don't recall any examples where she is teaching something incorrectly, when she is actually able to focus on teaching.

Either way, how Hinako would affect Ranma's grades would only be relevant to one subject.

As for the tutoring, well, she insisted during the time that Ranma went into her apartment to try and take her fighting fish, which helped her stay in adult form. Simply because she desires to teach. Not that she was able to focus on doing that very well...

Then Hinako was not actually tutoring Ranma.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:17 am

She was trying to give him extra instruction in private so, technically, she was tutoring him. I don't think there's any length of time restriction in regard to what counts as tutoring, as far as using the verb is concerned.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:She was trying to give him extra instruction in private so, technically, she was tutoring him. I don't think there's any length of time restriction in regard to what counts as tutoring, as far as using the verb is concerned.

What I mean is that it was not something done on a regular basis, and not done because he actually needed the help to pass. It isn't evidence of poor grades.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 am

I'm not saying that it was evidence of poor grades. I was only saying that she, by definition of the verb, was tutoring Ranma. We know that she isn't a tutor (noun), and that there's no established schedule or official enactment. But it was a study session, done in private, and that action is considered tutoring. Well, it was an attempt at it, anyway.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 am

Okay, I have the Viz tranlation of the test score release in front of me. Genma isn't telling Ranma to be humble he's telling Ranma to be ashamed of himself. And Akane's score is an 86 which she calls so-so.

Now from that is it no wonder people think Akane is a better student than Ranma?
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 am

Lioconvoy wrote:Genma isn't telling Ranma to be humble he's telling Ranma to be ashamed of himself.
That could also mean that Ranma didn't get a perfect 100 and that's all the reason Genma needs/says to 'be ashamed'.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 am

It could mean that, but it still allows interpertation instead of cold hard fact.

Back to the statement I made at the begining is there any hard evidence to the grades of either Ranma or Akane?
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 am

Lioconvoy wrote:It could mean that, but it still allows interpertation instead of cold hard fact.

Back to the statement I made at the begining is there any hard evidence to the grades of either Ranma or Akane?

You have to take the context of the final frame into account. Ranma spends the story-line worrying that he did not do well on the test, and wanted to use the test to show he was not stupid. Ranma is not going to be happy with a low grade. The grade had to be at least average, or Ranma's response to it being read makes no sense.

Akane getting an 86 says nothing about how well she did on the test because we don't know what 86 means. 86 sounds like a good score until you realize we don't know what the maximum possible score was for the test. 86 could be a near failing grade.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Uh... Grade school tests are usually graded on a scale of 0-100. That should be a no-brainer.

Also, Ranma is more concerned about people thinking that he's an idiot, because of what the principle had said, and how he had behaved. He was confident enough about his test score to want to get it back and show it himself, to prove that he wasn't an idiot (aside from wanting to stop the principal on general principle, of course).

One of the things that I noticed was that Akane didn't show any sign that she had an expectation about the kind of score that Ranma would get. You'd think that she would have some idea, given the fact that they sit next to each other in class and live in the same house. This might suggest that his grades seldom follow a predictable pattern.

Ranma's reaction to his test score either means that he did better than the principal had led him to believe, he did better than he had expected for that particular test, or he had done better than his average scores. Genma's remark seems to only confuse matters, for several reasons: Ranma was okay with his score; it wasn't so bad that Akane bothered to say anything about it; and there seems to be a difference between Viz's translation and the original Japanese text.

Of course, if you take the principal's word for it (that he's the worst student in the school), and the student's word for it (wondering when he had ever cared about his grades), and Ranma's own admission that test scores were meaningless to him, one could easily construe that to mean that he's a poor student.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Zwzn wrote:Akane getting an 86 says nothing about how well she did on the test because we don't know what 86 means. 86 sounds like a good score until you realize we don't know what the maximum possible score was for the test. 86 could be a near failing grade.

In all the manga and anime I've seen involving schools 100 is the best score. Every time. So it's safe to assume that it's the same here.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma