Poor Student Ranma

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Poor Student Ranma

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm

True, but just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it does happen either.

Simply means there's no evidence regarding whether he's a poor student or a good one. Which means either is a fair guess, but neither can be claimed as proven - unfortunately, 'poor student' is generally assumed, not necessarily justifiably.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 am

That was the point I was trying to make. Pro or con we don't know, we know he a good learner when it comes to the art, but he may or may not apply that to school.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 am

Lioconvoy wrote: Er, why are you replying to the second post of the topic now?
I meant to reply earlier, but forgot.

Lioconvoy wrote:Just cause we never see anyone try to force Ranma to get better grades doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It was simply never important to the stories being told.

I just can't see it not having a story line of it's own if Ranma was struggling in school. There's just to much story potential.

I can't see the principal not bring it up at least once.

I can't see Akane or Nabiki not mocking Ranma with it if he was doing poorly in school.

I can't see Ranma being happy with failing grades.

The fact Ranma's grades are never an issue, but Akane failing classes or doing poorly is brought up from time to time kind of tells us there may not be anything to bring up when it comes to Ranma's grades.

I'm still trying to figure out where the idea that Akane does well in school comes from since there is hard evidence she does poorly in school, and is possibly failing.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:55 am

Aside from the swimming when is Akane's poor grades mention? Not to mention when the test results got released there was no one commenting on her score.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 am

I don't know what they teach in Japanese schools, but, when I was sixteen, and had anyone described what Rama and Rumba were without putting a name to them, I wouldn't have had any idea of what to answer with (in the form of a question? XD). I also didn't understand the mechanics of a tornado, or what Ranma knew about vacuums when he used his final attack against Ryu. I wouldn't say that it's reflective of his intelligence as a whole (due to the difference in schooling, culture, and my view being based on my own education (how subjective!)), but I think that it's a good enough indicator that he's not an idiot.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:48 am

Lioconvoy wrote:Aside from the swimming when is Akane's poor grades mention? Not to mention when the test results got released there was no one commenting on her score.

Akane did not think her test score was good when it was read on TV.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 am

The mere fact that Ranma is was only in school some of the time yet is able to seemingly keep up with his more moreal life peers is a good indicator that he at least is not doing bad.

But as was already stated, there is truly little to go on except a lack of stuff to go on to indicate one way or the other how he does in school.

You also have to account for the great and important fact Furinkan is not a normal japanese school. You really have to question what is taught there considering some of the issues we've seen.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:31 am

Zwzn wrote:Akane did not think her test score was good when it was read on TV.

Akane not thinking the test score was good does not mean that it was bad. Being upset about it may have just been a sign that it was lower than her usual score. For example, it could have been a B instead of her usual A. She also might have been doing poorer in school than she used to because of all of the chaos surrounding Ranma. That and being kidnapped repeatedly has got to make studying and turning in her homework on time hard.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 am

Wyrd wrote:Akane not thinking the test score was good does not mean that it was bad. Being upset about it may have just been a sign that it was lower than her usual score. For example, it could have been a B instead of her usual A. She also might have been doing poorer in school than she used to because of all of the chaos surrounding Ranma. That and being kidnapped repeatedly has got to make studying and turning in her homework on time hard.

Ranma gets kidnapped just as much if not more than Akane and it's rare for any instance of it to intrude upon their lives for a substantial amount of time. Most of the time it's resolved within in an hour or two.

Ranma in contrast to Akane in that instance thought it was a good grade and Genma berated him for getting a big head.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 pm

There is no hard evidence either way. Some things can lead one way or another, but just becuase these things come into play outside of school doen't mean they come into play in school.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 pm

LawOhki wrote:Ranma gets kidnapped just as much if not more than Akane and it's rare for any instance of it to intrude upon their lives for a substantial amount of time. Most of the time it's resolved within in an hour or two.

Ranma in contrast to Akane in that instance thought it was a good grade and Genma berated him for getting a big head.

Again, my point is that the subjective opinions of the students in question does not mean anything since we have no actual facts to base our views on. We have Ranma's opinion that he did fine, but I have seen students happy with a 70 because at least they passed. I have also seen students upset at a 95 because they were used to getting 100's. Akane could be upset because her grade is lower than she strives for even while Ranma is happy with a score that is lower than Akane's. We just don't know.

As for the swimming episode, she was told that if she couldn't swim she would fail the entire grade, regardless of her grades in any of her other subjects. Principal Kuno was just proving once again that he is coconuts. Maybe that tree on his head is real, with its roots growing into his brain.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 am

by Wyrd wrote: Akane not thinking the test score was good does not mean that it was bad. Being upset about it may have just been a sign that it was lower than her usual score. For example, it could have been a B instead of her usual A.

by Makoto » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 am in this thread said that this is from the original version: Akane: まーまーだわ。

Now I run it through Bable Fish, and I get: The [ma] - the [ma] - the [wa] which is.

I run it through Google translate, and I get: But I will ー ー you.

I look at the Viz translation: So-So.

Akane seems to have gotten an average to below average grade, but passed from what I'm seeing.

by Wyrd wrote: She also might have been doing poorer in school than she used to because of all of the chaos surrounding Ranma.
Try Ranma's grades likely suffer from the chaos that the Tendos bring to his otherwise calm life.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am

by PCHeintz72 wrote: But as was already stated, there is truly little to go on except a lack of stuff to go on to indicate one way or the other how he does in school.

There is scant evidence Ranma is doing okay at least, and no evidence he is doing bad.

by PCHeintz72 wrote: You also have to account for the great and important fact Furinkan is not a normal japanese school. You really have to question what is taught there considering some of the issues we've seen.

I would think that there are certain standards a school would have to meet, and principal Kuno was gone for years. The school can't be that strange.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:47 am

Zwzn wrote:There is scant evidence Ranma is doing okay at least, and no evidence he is doing bad.

And no objective evidence he's doing well. We also only have his, and his father's, opinion on whether he's satisfactory. He certainly feels that way, but it's not known if others would think so.

Zwzn wrote:I would think that there are certain standards a school would have to meet, and principal Kuno was gone for years. The school can't be that strange.

This is the same school that has a principle trying to give everyone, including the girls, haircuts; in spite of their very loud objections. This same principle then published the students' test scores on TV. There certainly seems to be few behavioral standards, so I'm not all that certain if there are all that many academic ones. But there's no real evidence either way.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby three headed dog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm

This is the same school that has a principle trying to give everyone, including the girls, haircuts; in spite of their very loud objections.

Principal Kuno's hair cut fetish is an exaggeration of a real life practice done in Japanese schools. Haircuts and styles are regulated and are part of the school rules (of which there are generally a lot -over 300 is not uncommon, many of which are pretty draconian- governing tons of things like after school activities, curfews, allowed movies to be watched, allowed underwear color, etc.). Some schools require you to have your hair cut by the in school barber. It was common practice in schools for a teacher to take a ruler to measure the length of hair and if it was too long the teacher may cut it down to regulation length.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma