Does Ranma flirt better in the role of the girl?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Does Ranma flirt better in the role of the girl?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 pm

I was wondering since he seems to be more convincing when laying on the charm, and is willing to go to greater lengths with another guy, while a girl, such that he would be balking as a guy if he tried to such lengths with a girl. I mean, regardless of Tsubasa's reaction, for example, Ranma's method was both obnoxious and pathetically lame. While his actions as a girl are ostensibly stereotypical, they're still acceptable techniques.

So, yeah. Your thoughts? What do you think?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Does Ranma flirt better in the role of the girl?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Ranma's "skill" at flirting as a girl could simply be attributed to more practice. Ranma's much more used to being the recipient of flirtations when a male, and, perhaps more importantly, if he flirted back, that would just lead to painful, possibly life-threatening, revenge from the other girls. Ranma has flirted only twice in male form - for a brief instant to trick the Hypnotic Mushroom away from Shampoo, and when trying to seduce Tsubasa "onto the right path". Four times, if you count the Red Thread and Ladykiller Bandaid episodes; he was pretty flirtatious there.

I think he might have also flirted with Akane in the Battle Dogi storyline and with Ukyo when trying to talk her out of beating him up in her first story, not sure.

Really, there's no way the answer isn't going to be "yes", simply because Ranma only really tries to flirt with people when in girl-form; there's almost no examples of him trying to do the same thing in his male form.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:13 pm

There are other times Ranma has done so as a male for example to Shampoo when he dressed up nice, gave her roses, and complimented her ("the beauty of these roses can not compare to yours" is close to what he said) also when he tried to get the memory curing shampoo from Shampoo he flirted also a bit on the date with Kodachi. He is more self conscious and hesitant to do so as a male but he has with all of his fiancees for one reason or another (including self appointed Kodachi for example when trying to get her to give him the photo's that she was blackmailing him with). He is better at it as a girl though but I think it is because he understands how males think a lot more than he does females so is better at it as a female since he is and was for a longer period male he knows what he'd find attractive and what the boys he talked to do (he did go to an all boy school and girls would be the most common topic amongst boys) but is less knowledgeable about what girls find attractive and the way Akane and the girls react probably confuses him since Akane has hit him for being too nice (makes her suspicious even though at that point in the story she had no real reason to) and Ukyo became flustered and hit him etc.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm

I think from observation that he's equally good when attempting in either form.

It just comes off weaker in his male form because the girls know him, or he gets jealousy interference from one or more of the females not getting the attention.

When he's flirting as Ranma-Chan, most everyone would just see 'her' as that random cute redhead, so they have no clue about ulterior motives. The girls know he's really just using it to get something for free, so they let him get away with it because its all an act. (Yeah... He's his father's son, he's just got a much better method of getting free things from people. At least Ranma has a slightly better sense of honor than Genma with this kind of thing. Genma deals and then double-crosses. Ranma just gets people to give him stuff without condition when he can pull it off.)

Don't forget, he pulled off getting himself and Akane extra ice cream using the method, and even explained it to her. Akane was a bit chagrined about it, but otherwise didn't object all too much.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma