Ranma draws from the Deck of Many Things, and... what?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Ranma draws from the Deck of Many Things, and... what?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 am

Er, what makes you say that Ranma may have been under the effects of one of Tatewaki's wishes during the Wishing Sword arc?

And just to point out, giving it away isn't synonymous with "losing it". From the Rules As Written, it would be quite alright for Ranma to give it over and then get it back once they've used it. These are the exact rules for the Talons card, copied straight from the article:

You cannot use magic item at-will, encounter, or daily powers. Only the Remove Affliction ritual can remove this effect, but only after you have given away a magic item of your level or higher.

And, as I've mentioned, while giving up a Jusenkyo cure is the most obvious "key" to removing this affliction, it needn't neccessarily be the only one. With Ranma's obsession with always claiming the victory, I personally could easily see him conceeding a victory to Ryoga or Mousse or someone, in front of witnesses and without any "backsies" (no complaining that his opponent got lucky or stuff like that), as being just as significant a sacrifice.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: Er, what makes you say that Ranma may have been under the effects of one of Tatewaki's wishes during the Wishing Sword arc?

Wish one:Humble this fool!

Second Wish: I wish to date the Pigtailed girl!

The second wish was made when or before Genma and Ranma are sitting in the tree planning. Anything that happened after the second wish was made is at least partly tainted by the wish being granted.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: And just to point out, giving it away isn't synonymous with "losing it". From the Rules As Written, it would be quite alright for Ranma to give it over and then get it back once they've used it. These are the exact rules for the Talons card, copied straight from the article:

You cannot use magic item at-will, encounter, or daily powers. Only the Remove Affliction ritual can remove this effect, but only after you have given away a magic item of your level or higher.
That certainly brings into question if a cure for Ranma's curse would count, cursed spring water doesn't seem very powerful or rare, and the fact he would be trying to remove the curse rather then give an give the object would invalidate the action

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: And, as I've mentioned, while giving up a Jusenkyo cure is the most obvious "key" to removing this affliction, it needn't neccessarily be the only one. With Ranma's obsession with always claiming the victory, I personally could easily see him conceeding a victory to Ryoga or Mousse or someone, in front of witnesses and without any "backsies" (no complaining that his opponent got lucky or stuff like that), as being just as significant a sacrifice.
What obsession with victory does Ranma have? All I really see is Ranma not wanting to lose to people who want to kill him or worse, and trying to right wrongs, and triumph over evil like any sailor suited warrior of love and justice would?

The closest I can recall to what ya seem to be describing is the mark of the battle god arc where Ryoga gets a cute smily face painted on his belly that makes him nigh unbeatable.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 am

Er, the first wish was fulfilled the instant that Manganmaru turned into a mallet and smacked Ranma over the head - there was nothing stopping Ranma from just beating Kuno up once he regained consciousness, and he in fact did so a number of times. So wouldn't the second wish have been "used up" the moment that Kuno and Ranma-chan were seated at a picnic together making nice talk? It ensured Ranma was put on a date (and I wonder if it actually did use up that second wish, because Ranma was coming to "date" Kuno anyway) with Kuno, nothing in the wish about making sure the date kept going.

Firstly, Ranma 1/2 isn't D&D; the rules aren't going to mesh up much, if at all, so we have to look at the spirit of the thing. Secondly, Jusenkyo water isn't very rare if you're at Jusenkyo - as Ranma is way down in Tokyo, while Jusenkyo is in China up near Tibet-way, it is rare and valuable to him. As for powerful... Ranma hasn't found a way to remove, control, counter or lift it yet, despite everything else he's run into in the series, ranging from a bakeneko trying to turn a woman into a cat to a cursed swimsuit that drowns a woman each year to living paintings to a mirror so full of lust and sorrow it makes horny clones of whoever is reflected in it. It's not some kitchy piece of magical junk like those hypnotic paper doll things that Gosunkugi bought, or that love-predicting sakura-mochi that Akane bought.

Let's see...

He outright declares he would rather keep Shampoo than throw a fight to Mousse in Mousse's return arc - yes, I know that he probably is damn well aware that, if anything, throwing the fight would just make it worse (Shampoo would go on one bare-minimum date with Mousse and then come right back to Ranma, making Mousse all the more pissed off), but the words he chooses make it sound like it's the losing that bugs him...

He reacts to the claim that Akane is now even stronger than him by challenging her to an armwrestling match, then ends up crying when she repeatedly beats him effortlessly and keeps challenging him afterwards. I won't deny Akane wasn't exactly responsible or reasonable about the strength herself, but Ranma looked like he couldn't stand the thought of losing even before she reacted to his efforts to give her the antidote by getting all paranoid...

The Shishi Hokodan arc has him lose just one of his many casual duels with Ryoga and promptly start scrabbling for a rematch, even going to the extent of trying to trick Ryoga into telling "her" how the move works and outright attempting to steal the scroll from him...

He goes to the extent of digging up his father's scrolls on dirty trick techniques to beat Ryoga during the Mark of the Gods arc - admittedly, Ryoga had asked Ranma specifically to beat him so he could lose the stupid-looking thing...

That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's others that people can point to from the manga.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:04 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: Er, the first wish was fulfilled the instant that Manganmaru turned into a mallet and smacked Ranma over the head - there was nothing stopping Ranma from just beating Kuno up once he regained consciousness, and he in fact did so a number of times. So wouldn't the second wish have been "used up" the moment that Kuno and Ranma-chan were seated at a picnic together making nice talk? It ensured Ranma was put on a date (and I wonder if it actually did use up that second wish, because Ranma was coming to "date" Kuno anyway) with Kuno, nothing in the wish about making sure the date kept going.
The wish may not have been for filled until the date was over. The first wish was not fully granted until Tatewaki won.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: Firstly, Ranma 1/2 isn't D&D; the rules aren't going to mesh up much, if at all, so we have to look at the spirit of the thing. Secondly, Jusenkyo water isn't very rare if you're at Jusenkyo - as Ranma is way down in Tokyo, while Jusenkyo is in China up near Tibet-way, it is rare and valuable to him. As for powerful... Ranma hasn't found a way to remove, control, counter or lift it yet, despite everything else he's run into in the series, ranging from a bakeneko trying to turn a woman into a cat to a cursed swimsuit that drowns a woman each year to living paintings to a mirror so full of lust and sorrow it makes horny clones of whoever is reflected in it. It's not some kitchy piece of magical junk like those hypnotic paper doll things that Gosunkugi bought, or that love-predicting sakura-mochi that Akane bought.
Can't you order the instant water from a catalog?

The guide had no trouble mailing the water.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: He outright declares he would rather keep Shampoo than throw a fight to Mousse in Mousse's return arc - yes, I know that he probably is damn well aware that, if anything, throwing the fight would just make it worse (Shampoo would go on one bare-minimum date with Mousse and then come right back to Ranma, making Mousse all the more pissed off), but the words he chooses make it sound like it's the losing that bugs him...
Considering Mousse was trying to kill him...

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: He reacts to the claim that Akane is now even stronger than him by challenging her to an armwrestling match, then ends up crying when she repeatedly beats him effortlessly and keeps challenging him afterwards. I won't deny Akane wasn't exactly responsible or reasonable about the strength herself, but Ranma looked like he couldn't stand the thought of losing even before she reacted to his efforts to give her the antidote by getting all paranoid...
There is nothing wrong with wanting to test yourself, or other's abilities.

Akane may have actual hurt Ranma in that bought of armwresling. Ranma face is covered with Band-Aids the next day.

Akane is always a paranoid and delusional bully. :)

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: The Shishi Hokodan arc has him lose just one of his many casual duels with Ryoga and promptly start scrabbling for a rematch, even going to the extent of trying to trick Ryoga into telling "her" how the move works and outright attempting to steal the scroll from him...
Is it about the loss, or is this about learning a cool and powerful technique, and testing it?

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote: He goes to the extent of digging up his father's scrolls on dirty trick techniques to beat Ryoga during the Mark of the Gods arc - admittedly, Ryoga had asked Ranma specifically to beat him so he could lose the stupid-looking thing...
Which kind of makes it a bad example.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:47 pm

The debate on how Ranma could cure himself if he drew the Talons is nice and all, but does anybody have any comments or thoughts on the other cards?

If Ranma drew the Donjon, where might he be imprisoned? And would he need the others to save him, or is it possible he'd be able to kick ass and escape of his own accord?

Exactly which of the quests of Balance would Ranma take, or would he be forced to either take the Evil path (for being too good) or the Good path (for being too evil)?

If Ranma drew the Flames card, what kind of entity might take offense to Ranma, and how would it go on to make his life worse?

If Ranma drew the Throne or Knight cards, how would that alter the status quo of Nerima? What sort of ally might Ranma acquire, or castle may he discover is his by right?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:06 pm

A thought I had for the Donjon: It imprisons him deep within his own mind, leaving only his girly persona from 'Am I pretty' and/or the nekoken in charge of his body. Alternatively, he either enters a coma, with everyone looking for a cure for a while before discovering that they have use magic to enter Ranma's mind to save him, or the card puts some sort of guardian in charge of his body.

The knight card is a great option to bring in a crossover character. There are so many that it would be hard to narrow down the list. A popular option that would make his life harder in the process is one of the Digger sisters, especially Brittany. I also like the idea of Inoe Orihime from Bleach joining him. Her powers, especially her healing powers, would be very useful, and it would be fun to bring in another busty redhead who is every bit as clueless about sex as Ranma sometimes seems to be. She also has a cooking style reminiscent of Akane's, except that she sticks to actual food instead of looking under the sink and in the medicine cabinet. Her food also tends to be edible, just very, very strange.

The gender aspect of the card could easily be bypassed just by having Ranma currently be in the gender of the partner you want to hook him up with. The race aspect is a little more complicated if you want it to be specific as 'Japanese,' or alternatively as specific as 'gender-shifting individuals' which could be used to bring in someone like Futaba-kun. If the Neko-ken is magical in nature at all, it could fool the card into seeking a werecat, thus landing him with Brittany.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma