Which canon senshi best suits Ranma?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Which canon senshi best suits Ranma?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Well, since Fukufics promotes Ranma being in a sailor senshi's seifuku, and I haven't noticed any topics like this made recently, I was wondering: which canon senshi (let's include Terra/Earth/Gaia, since Endymion makes that a technical inclusion), should Ranma become one, do you think best suits him? Well, her. It doesn't matter what basis you draw your conclusion from. You don't even have to give any reason for why.

I'm still thinking about it, of course. Since it occupied my thoughts, I thought I'd make a topic out of it. ;/
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Which canon senshi best suits Ranma?

Postby AshK1980 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I would have to say either Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, or Uranus mainly because all four of them are fighters. I really can't see Ranma-Chan as Pluto, however there are a few good fics out there with Ranma as Pluto. As for Moon, Mercury, or Venus; I really don't seem to see either of those three within him/her however there are a few good Ranma as Moon ones.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Canon Ranma best fits either Uranus or Jupiter for their focus on martial arts, or Saturn for the affinity with destruction and rebirth. Ranma's reliance on speed and aerial moves works very well with the Senshi of the winds, Uranus.

Neptune is a bit harder to justify, though his affinity with water can make it work pretty well, as well as how good he is at being girly. Write it as the more feminine aspects of Neptune finally finding an outlet, and you can have it be quite believable.

Mercury is probably doable if you have him be the combat genius some fics portray him as, with combat being the only area he was ever allowed to seriously study. Her devotion to studying academics is of similar intensity to how he studies martial arts, and you could have him branch out into other areas of interest after being separated from Genma's influence(by whatever means the author chooses, voluntarily or not).

Venus could be funny if that is why he has so many fiancees, but otherwise I don't see it working. If any of you know of a half-way decent fic where he has been written as Venus, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Moon doesn't really work. They have nothing in common besides prodigious appetites, though making Ranma the reincarnation of her mother was done rather well in Heir to the Empire.

Mars... no. Ranma doesn't really fit with any of the defining traits of Rei or of how the Senshi of Mars is portrayed, though you could work with the mythological aspects of Mars as god of war, or have him take up the mantle after Mars falls in battle, as I've seen done with him as Mercury.

Pluto only works if you make him rather out of character, either through spring of drowned prophetess, or through absorbing her memories, or... It just doesn't really work in character.

Senshi Earth, or Knight Earth... well, Kamen from the manga is much better at combat, and Ranma would have no problem being devoted to protecting a group of girls, though he likely would have more problems with letting them fight their own battles since so few of them have any martial arts training. Something tells me the scouts would be a little less enamored of him after he started running them through intensive training to make them better fighters.

Sailor Ranko makes a pretty good case for Sailor Sun, of course.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:48 am

Wyrd wrote:Mars... no. Ranma doesn't really fit with any of the defining traits of Rei or of how the Senshi of Mars is portrayed, though you could work with the mythological aspects of Mars as god of war, or have him take up the mantle after Mars falls in battle, as I've seen done with him as Mercury.

Yes and no. They're both ki adepts, though in different ways.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Hmmmm... Rei, in the manga, didn't care for boys, so you could toss that into the consideration bin. And fire would go well with Ranma's fighting spirit.

After a lot of consideration, I thought that Chibi-Moon might suit him. Er, well, I mean... It'd just be his luck, right? XD;;
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Hmmmm... Rei, in the manga, didn't care for boys, so you could toss that into the consideration bin. And fire would go well with Ranma's fighting spirit.

After a lot of consideration, I thought that Chibi-Moon might suit him. Er, well, I mean... It'd just be his luck, right? XD;;

Write that in after the aging mushroom bit... could make for a hilarious gag fic. Or with her winding up a boy adopted by Genma and Nodoka when her time travel attempt went wrong, or pre-incarnated(re-incarnation doesn't necessarily go forwards in time) with memories of being a 5-year old girl for 900 years threatening to overwhelm his mind...
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Well... there was a short and spammy fic that had Ranma reborn as...

"Chibi-chibi?"
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Really? I wouldn't mind checking that one out.

Since a lot of people often tie Ranma with chaos, Sailor Chaos is also an option. It's technically canon, like Earth/Terra/Gaia is (since it's mentioned but not seen).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:55 pm

He also works well as one of the Sailor Stars, for obvious reasons, if you have them reincarnate on Earth to follow their princess's spirit, instead of travelling there. You could also write him up as any of the animamates if he was offered control of his curse in exchange for doing some work for Galactica, though you would have to be careful how you wrote the offer. I like the idea of the other Nerimites with Jusenkyo curses becomes animamates, though. Duck senshi, panda senshi, cat senshi, pig senshi... I saw one where they stated they were considering making Genma into Iron Mouse, but they went a different way with the story.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Genma as Iron Mouse? XD

Speaking of the Starlights, there's Sailor Kinmoku. If only because Kakyuu's hair is red. ;p

Well, I thought of some additions for Venus. It'd suit Ranma to be the leader of the guardian senshi. Since Venus is the first to awaken, that'd give people who like the idea that Ranma train the senshi a good opportunity to do so lickety-split. Venus was the goddess of (love and) beauty, so you could play with his pride a bit. (Venus also inspires anime, video games and other merchandise, so that's likely to work with his pride, too.) Some like to portray Ranma as being a bit of a dunce, and Mina is usually portrayed as a "blonde," so you could probably tie those ideas together, as well as possibly add Mina's tendency to mangle idioms in light of that.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Well, I thought of some additions for Venus. It'd suit Ranma to be the leader of the guardian senshi. Since Venus is the first to awaken, that'd give people who like the idea that Ranma train the senshi a good opportunity to do so lickety-split. Venus was the goddess of (love and) beauty, so you could play with his pride a bit. (Venus also inspires anime, video games and other merchandise, so that's likely to work with his pride, too.) Some like to portray Ranma as being a bit of a dunce, and Mina is usually portrayed as a "blonde," so you could probably tie those ideas together, as well as possibly add Mina's tendency to mangle idioms in light of that.

Actually, I'm liking this idea. The video games and merchandise could be Nabiki's influence, and Ranma is often portrayed as a dunce outside of battle, but as a genius during it, which does fit with Venus. You could even have him doing 'Sailor V' while he was doing some training in England and didn't want his dad to know about it. I might be inspired to write this if I weren't already working on a fukufic that was inspired by a type-o: someone put down Uranus's name as Haruka Tendo. It has grown far beyond that, but I haven't published any of it yet because of one scene I want to make certain works out properly and which may require some rewrites to earlier scenes to avoid certain problems.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:34 pm

I've wanted to write a Ranma-as-Venus fic, though it's not high on my queue. Except I wouldn't place her in England, since Sailor V mainly stays in Japan in the manga (but does go to Greece and China, if I remember correctly).

Hey, I just thought of something else. Some draw similarities between Rei's behavior (mainly her temper) and Akane's, Rei doesn't care for men (in the manga; which could also be a similarity connected with Akane), and some believe that there's subtext in regard to Minako and Rei possibly having or developing a relationship, because of three or four things that are illustrated in the manga. That kind of arrangement could work for Ranma being Venus, too.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:03 pm

as for ranma being chibi moon..it could work, but not what you thinking......how about getting the wand to trasform from the cats, but he finds himself in the pink getup of chibi moon(which he would hate) and getting the totaly pointless attack that she has.....talk about just being the distracion of the team..unitl he uses the moon wand to beat the demon to death with it....and then shoves the pen down someone month when they say he looks so cute....the running gag is he is in male form for this....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:46 am

Moon/Usagi:
I can see it working. The personalities are that different at times, but Usagi is a bit paranoid about Tuxy cheating on her.

Mercury/Ami:
It could work, but I think she would rather have a relationship with someone who leads a quieter life.

Jupiter/Makoto:
The match is pretty good, but if she comes on to strong it would hurt her.

Venus/Minako:
Oddly enough I can see Sailor Venus and Ranma as a couple, but not Minako and Ranma. Minako is just to boy crazy and ditzy.

Mars/Rei:
Depending on how Ranma left the Tendo Dojo it could work. Rei has similar qualities to Akane, Ukyo, and Shampoo, but in generally less extreme levels.

Saturn/Hotaru:
Their personalities are extremely compatible.

She is in canon attracted to the athletic types who have recovered from injuries, and Ranma is the athletic type that has been in a full body cast.

Ranma isn't going to really be bothered by what she might be able to do, and likely think her powers are cool.

They both like to read, and enjoy nature.

Uranus/Haruka:
I really can't see Ranma getting along with Haruka. Haruka is the type of person that annoys Ranma in canon, and he picks fights with because of that.

Neptune/Michiru:
I just don't see it working. Ranma just does not care about being a snob, and she just tends to go with the floe.

Pluto/Setsuna:
She is just to detected to her work. The only way i can see them getting together is if she was trying to kill him, but kept failing.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 am

I don't think they meant a canon Senshi for Ranma to pair up with, I think they meant which Senshi would be the best fit for Ranma to be. That's what I got from this topic anyway.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma