Ranma's hair

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma's hair

Postby three headed dog » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:27 pm

How would you describe Ranma's hair? The manga has it most often in a pigtail (all flash backs to jusenkyo or before have it in a ponytail). He when in disguise has it in different styles on occasion (twin pigtails while pretending to be Ryoga's sister, loose/straight at least once, and wigs on occasion). The color for female form is debatable depending on medium - Black in the original shonen sunday color pages and the one volume VIZ did color (and judging by people not noticing the color change in their comments), red in the anime/games. It is very strong (Akane can pull his entire body using his hair). It is capable of independent movement (such as standing up straight).

Ok having said that.
1. Which style that Ranma had for at least a little while did you like the most - pigtail, ponytail, straight, wavy, or twin pigtails?
2. Which do you prefer: Manga with the more common black hair or do you prefer the anime/game red hair which while not unheard of in Japan but is very uncommon (naturally occurring most often on the Island of Hirado and slightly more common amongst some of the aborigine people known as the ainu)?
3. How long would you say is Ranma's hair? When I last looked through the manga the length seemed pretty variable sometimes it was barely beyond her neck and other times it was long enough that she'd have to move it so as to not sit on it (I was paying more attention to Ranma's female form than male form when looking at the hair).
4. In early volumes Ranma has a tendency to play with his/her hair when nervous (like in the first volume when Genma-panda puts her down in front of the Tendo's she fiddles with her hair using both hands). Is this trait still in existence in late volumes and is it also in the anime continuity (I don't remember Ranma playing with his/her hair in latter volumes but I'm not sure if I'm just forgetting him/her doing so)?
5. Would you be interested in a fic in which Ranma used his hair as a weapon (which he did do in the source though not exactly in the ways I propose). Ranma is very good with whips/ribbons/noodles (can manipulate them into words and has used them in a variety of ways in the manga) so using his hair in this way would be possible (particularly when you take into account it does move on its own like how it stands up straight when Kodachi grabs him). Stabbing someone who is on his back or wrapping around their neck strangling them or slicing them up with his hair or holding an item when he wants to have his hands free. Also for quick manipulation of hair style making it stand, fall, and/or curl.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Ranma's hair

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:25 pm

1: Pigtail, mostly. A bow being tied at the end wasn't a bad addition to it, either. After that I'd say straight, because then she kind of reminds me of Akari and Kasumi (when she has her hair down).

2: I prefer the red, since it's a better and more unique identifier among all of the dark-haired characters. And Takahashi liked red and pink, if I remember correctly.

3: Since the braid pulls the hair up, I'd say his hair reaches the bottom of his shoulder blades when it's not twined up.

4: I can't say that I recall, but I don't think that there were much in the way of the right kind of situations that might have lent to that behavior.

5: If it turns out to be anything like Yami-chan's ability (from To Love-Ru), then I'm all for it. :wink:
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:37 pm

It is very strong (Akane can pull his entire body using his hair).

I wouldn't say that was unusual for human hair.

It is capable of independent movement (such as standing up straight).

I know at least one person in these forums that would probably say its because Ranma's hair is sentient or something, but most other people would recognize it being visual humor.

1--pigtail
2--red
3--variable
4--no; Takahashi's characters evolve in time, and Ranma eventually became this guy who's so confident he can throw ego-powered fireballs. Toying with his hair won't fit the character later on.
5--he already did so in the dragon whisker arc. Making his hair capable of independent movement, however, is another thing entirely.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 am

three headed dog wrote: 1. Which style that Ranma had for at least a little while did you like the most - pigtail, ponytail, straight, wavy, or twin pigtails?

Braid or ponytail. i barely notice a difference.

three headed dog wrote: 2. Which do you prefer: Manga with the more common black hair or do you prefer the anime/game red hair which while not unheard of in Japan but is very uncommon (naturally occurring most often on the Island of Hirado and slightly more common amongst some of the aborigine people known as the ainu)?

Red, but I really like the purple and blue haired versions on the manga covers better.

three headed dog wrote: 3. How long would you say is Ranma's hair? When I last looked through the manga the length seemed pretty variable sometimes it was barely beyond her neck and other times it was long enough that she'd have to move it so as to not sit on it (I was paying more attention to Ranma's female form than male form when looking at the hair).

Hair grows, and people cut it. It only makes sense that the length changes from time to time.

three headed dog wrote: 5. Would you be interested in a fic in which Ranma used his hair as a weapon (which he did do in the source though not exactly in the ways I propose). Ranma is very good with whips/ribbons/noodles (can manipulate them into words and has used them in a variety of ways in the manga) so using his hair in this way would be possible (particularly when you take into account it does move on its own like how it stands up straight when Kodachi grabs him). Stabbing someone who is on his back or wrapping around their neck strangling them or slicing them up with his hair or holding an item when he wants to have his hands free. Also for quick manipulation of hair style making it stand, fall, and/or curl.

Isn't that what he did in the Dragon whisker arc?

It's just a matter of just using what he already knows in a new way at most.

three headed dog wrote: 4. In early volumes Ranma has a tendency to play with his/her hair when nervous (like in the first volume when Genma-panda puts her down in front of the Tendo's she fiddles with her hair using both hands). Is this trait still in existence in late volumes and is it also in the anime continuity (I don't remember Ranma playing with his/her hair in latter volumes but I'm not sure if I'm just forgetting him/her doing so)?

I don't think he gets into situations where he really has a chance to do it, but it's not like he is terribly confident in anything but martial arts, and even that he knows he is not unbeatable.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:33 am

Ryoga charges his belt with ki to turn it into a sword. Ranma could do the same with his hair, no? Simply infusing it with ki should do the trick.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:24 am

Ryoga uses his belt/bandanna to cut stuff, but I don't recall ever it being said he charges his it with ki.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Tornado Ninja Fan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 pm

They could be magic artifacts. It would explain why he can throw that many bandannas and why they move from his head to his neck when he changes into a pig.
Tornado Ninja Fan
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:07 am

Tornado Ninja Fan wrote:They could be magic artifacts. It would explain why he can throw that many bandannas and why they move from his head to his neck when he changes into a pig.

Genma's Gi some how is magically disappears when he turn panda, and reappears when he turns human again. It's the curse.

Anyway, Ranma can give his fingers a cutting edge, and I see no reason why he could not do the same to his hair.http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ssors.html

We see Ranma and Kodachi control the movement of ribbons just by holding the handle. We know Ryoga knows this style as well.

I see no reason Ranma could not move his hair if he wanted to with his Ki, and cut things with it.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Undeen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 am

It is never stated as far as I know exactly how Ryoga manipulates his bandannas and belt the way he does, but it's generally accepted Fanon that it's a type of ki manipulation. "Iron cloth" is the one I've seen most as an explanation. Yes, they Could be magical artifacts imbued with the power of steel, self multiplication and independent movement. But somehow I doubt it. :P

That being said I always think of Ranma hair as a girl being red. As for style I'm partial to a braid or pony tail, but then depending on how skilled he is with hair manipulation having it hang free might be best, give him lots of thin tendrils. :lol:

I've seen one story that I believe gave him hair manipulation abilities, but that one involved him being Mistress 9 from sailor moon. Don't remember the specifics, was quite a while ago that I read it, but I could hunt down the name if you're interested I'm sure.

Anyways, I'm interested to see what idea you've got that has you asking this.
Undeen
Initiate

Postby Makoto » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 am

I've seen one story that I believe gave him hair manipulation abilities, but that one involved him being Mistress 9 from sailor moon. Don't remember the specifics, was quite a while ago that I read it, but I could hunt down the name if you're interested I'm sure.

Probably Metroidvania's "Resurrection of the Silence."
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Kyoumen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:57 am

1) The pigtail's pretty iconic, but I did like his pre-Dragon Hair ponytail too.

2) Black. The red hair doesn't offend me, but it also doesn't make any sense - there's no reason the Spring of Girl would turn his hair red (plus nobody comments on that when they talk about how a fleetingly seen Onna-Ranma looks just like Ranma). The anime also made Ranma spontaneously acquire makeup, but sadly nobody runs with that. :mrgreen:

3) Not terribly long; seems to reach about the base of his neck.

4) He more often does the twiddling fingers thing when nervous, to my recollection.

5) Certainly Ranma could use his hair as a weapon, but I can't see why he'd do so unless he was in a Martial Arts Hairdressing competition or something similar. He's unlikely to make it part of his regular arsenal, since aside from the Hiryuu Shoten Ha he doesn't really habitually use any "special moves".
Kyoumen
Senshi Candidate

Postby Wyrd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:Ryoga uses his belt/bandanna to cut stuff, but I don't recall ever it being said he charges his it with ki.

I'm a fan of the fanon trait of having Ryouga get so lost he winds up on other worlds, and the bandanna is cursed so that no matter how many times he takes it off, it is still there. The cutting ability is a ki technique, both with the bandannas and belt. There is no reason in canon to say this is true, it is just an interpretation I like.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Drawde2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:39 pm

It's a given that "ki" is the reason that martial artists can do the things they do. Just like a vampire drinks blood. A story doesn't have to mention either of those facts for a reader to understand that, especially in Japan. It's the exceptions that have to be mentioned.
Drawde2
Senshi Candidate

Postby Battlekrome » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 am

for how long ranma's hair is...

before dragon whisker arc... as long as ranma wants it
after prob just down to below shoulder blades maybe shorter depending on how tightly done up pigtail is

(as examples of hair length... in 2nd movie ranma's female form has hair that is almost as tall as she is (almost for sure grown out using whisker but might be artistic license))

Color wise... most of the comic version has diff hair color almost every issue...
ideally it is black as that is what color it is manga wise
but red is the anime ver
i prefer the red as it gives a visual difference to the audience (a short hair comment tells us what sex he is as opposed to constant pronoun switching...)
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Ranma