Kachu Tenshin Amaguriken: Technique or Training?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Which do you think the Kachu Tenshin Amaguriken is?

A Training Method
29%
A Training Method
29%
A Technique
5%
A Technique
5%
Both
16%
Both
16%

Total votes : 38

Re: Kachu Tenshin Amaguriken: Technique or Training?

Postby lwf58 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 am

Nah. I do indeed understand the difference. Cologne is a classic example of what the training was intended to do: she is able to perform blocks and attacks at blinding speed.

Ranma's take on it was pointed up best in the Breaking Point story arc, when Ranma figured out how to defeat Ryouga using the KTA. He used the basic training motion and speed to pound the same spot on Ryouga's body hundreds (thousands?) of times in an instant, and that was a technique.

He didn't use the KTA to learn anything in that arc, unless it was whether or not he'd hospitalize Ryouga. He used it as a practical method of attack in a real world fight, and that is the very definition of a technique. It's also the step that the Nichiezu never took, as Cologne shows. She trained using it, and teaches the training to others. But she never took the motions used in the method to their next level by incorporating them into an actual attack, as Ranma did. It's another example of Ranma's ability to think outside the box, and create something new out of a method or technique other martial artists took for granted.

Thus my call that the TKA is both training and technique. It can be argued that he invented something new and just named after the training method, but that just means that since there is a training method and a fighting technique that have the same name, then "both" applies because two different things share it.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 pm

How can it be a new technique when all he's doing is throwing more punches than he used to in a given time frame? No one observed it as a new technique, but as more punches being delivered with speed. Even Akane noticed and saw it that way, just like the time he had kicked Kuno so many times in his weak spots. Just kicks. Just punches. Just a lot of them in quick succession. Doing a pre-existing move faster doesn't make it a new technique, or else he'd have a crap load of new techniques after the kachu tenshin amaguriken training. In the end, though, I suppose it could just be drawing a line between a tactic and a technique.

Or we could go about it in another way, and consider how techniques often get announced. Since it didn't, in the manga, it's not a fighting technique. But, if I remember correctly, it was in the anime. So we could both have our cakes and eat them, too.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:53 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Or we could go about it in another way, and consider how techniques often get announced. Since it didn't, in the manga, it's not a fighting technique.

Actually, there's one time in the manga where it does get annouonced. Unfortunately, I don't remember which story it was nor which volume it was in.

At any rate, I tend to think of it as a speed training technique in stead of a combat one as that was what it was introduced as in the manga.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma