Reviving the Ranma 1/2 Anime...

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

If they were to revive the Ranma 1/2 Anime, which would you prefer they did?

Continued where the first left off, but keep the Specials
10%
Continued where the first left off, but keep the Specials
10%
Continued where the first left off, but ignore the Specials
6%
Continued where the first left off, but ignore the Specials
6%
Start over from the very beginning
24%
Start over from the very beginning
24%
That they not revive it at all
10%
That they not revive it at all
10%

Total votes : 50

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:45 pm

I personally would like a complete remake. There were too many inconsistancies in the original anime (numerous plot holes and the like) and I can only see a clean slate as a good thing. Plus the whole new technology stuff. I don't think it would be as "weird" as Neko- says, considering the quality of the whole little Rumic World 50th Anniversary Shonen Sunday clip.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Out of curiosity, what plot holes and other inconsistencies are you talking about? Also, I agree that a 'technology update' wouldn't really be all that bad, as the series itself is set in a kind of 'timelessness' (aka it could be anywhere from the present to the 1980s). Not to mention that technology has stuff like ki-powered battlesuits in the manga.

Anyway, like I said before, if they did decide to revive it, however they do it, I hope that they'll follow in the footsteps of the previous anime version and let the other fiancees seem more human than they do in the manga. I'll take anime-Kodachi, who has some (rather underdeveloped, I admit) reasons for acting like a freak over the manga's "crazy for the sake of crazy" Kodachi anyday.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Off the top of my head, I can name one inconsistancy for you: It's what I call the "Simpsons Syndrome", where you have multiple christmas's, easters, etc, without any time actually passing or the cast growing older. The other ones I really need to get around to rewatching the anime to remind myself of, as I haven't actually watched it in years. Which is silly considering that I bought it all on DVD earlier this year... :?
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 am

I highly suspect that season in anime and manga matched the actual season outdoors at the moment of release.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:51 am

Now, to be fair, wasn't the "timelessness" also present in the original manga as well? I'm pretty sure that Ryoga challenged Ranma with the Mark of the Gods to "start the new year off right", and I know Shampoo mentioned something about new year at the start of the super soba incident.

It is kind of annoying, but in a comedic thing like Ranma 1/2, it's not uncommon. Come to think of it, didn't she do the same thing in Urusei Yatsura? Constantly threw out mentionings of time, but the characters never actually aged. I think it might have also happened in Inuyasha, but I've only seen the first 15 episodes of the anime version, so I don't really know.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Vilkath » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Just to play a wild card, how about a new show with the same setting? Cursed springs, martial artist etc? Something like an Au fanfic setting? It beyond wishful thinking but I really think some fanfic idea's make a better series/movie then remaking the orginal Ranma 1/2 stuff.

The way I see it, Ranma 1/2 is to long for a complete restart, and if they just continued from where they left off it would have to deal with all the plot hole driven baggage the orginal series left behind.

While I dislike Tenchi, and it's constnat restarts I will give the series it's due. I actualy liked the GXP series that didn't even focus on Tenchi and the cast. I think something like that might not be out the question for the Ranma setting.
"A hero is just the brave idiot who charged a dragon and didn't die."
Vilkath
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma