Reviving the Ranma 1/2 Anime...

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

If they were to revive the Ranma 1/2 Anime, which would you prefer they did?

Continued where the first left off, but keep the Specials
10%
Continued where the first left off, but keep the Specials
10%
Continued where the first left off, but ignore the Specials
6%
Continued where the first left off, but ignore the Specials
6%
Start over from the very beginning
24%
Start over from the very beginning
24%
That they not revive it at all
10%
That they not revive it at all
10%

Total votes : 50

Reviving the Ranma 1/2 Anime...

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 pm

This is just something that's earned my curiosity now and then, especially after hearing on this board that some company or other is doing a new series/season of Slayers. So I decided to ask: if, by some miracle, some company decided to resurrect the Ranma 1/2 anime, how would you prefer they did so?

Just to clarify, by Keep/Ignore the Specials, I mean keep or disown the previous anime's OAVs and Movies as part of their canon.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Penguin-sa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:53 pm

There is one possibility that is not mentioned in this poll SK. The rather poor Speed Racer movie brought it to mind. What about a live action movie? The tech is certainly in place for it.
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it it get us out?
Penguin-sa
Senshi Candidate

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm quite happy with picking up at the last episode. Due to the sheer size of the series, a restart would likely result in an even more abbreviated version of the manga. In a continuation, people also won't for things that aren't there -- I found it extremely annoying when Ken pulled out his tiny cel phone and laptop in the SFZ anime, but if Ranma would restart it would look odd to miss out on that kind of detail. Finally, I detest Tenchi's continuity inconsistencies which is inevitable in a restart.

The specials I have as much opinion as the series.

I wouldn't mind a live-action version, either. It doesn't even have to be a high-budget hollywood production (and hopefully not where Ranma and the cast are played by mid twenty year old caucasian actors). Just hand the entire thing over to Stephen Chow.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby whatever » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 pm

If Ranma 1/2 anime is revived again, I would like it to be start from the beginning(and keep the specials) since It would be really nice to see the series (especially combat scenes) in a more modern style of animation and graphics.

As much as I loved the original anime, I think it should have been a lot more faithful to the plotline of the manga, I would have really like it to see characters like Herb, Rouge and Saffron making and appereance on it since those were ones of my favorite arcs.

Ranma's mom arc should be follow and be conclude, it was really odd to end the anime series like that.

Those are some of the things I can think at the top of my head right now, I would mention others later.
Last edited by whatever on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Siden » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 pm

As much as I would enjoy watching it, I am going to have to say no. It has just been too long since the original. We'd either end up with a disjointed continuation that drastically contrasts the earlier product in terms of quality and leaves everyone but the oldtime fans wondering WTF is going on, or a six to nine season long remake (take out the extra filler from the original series and you lose a couple of seasons worth of episodes. Leave em in and add the remaining volumes and you'll have at least two if not three more seasons).
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:18 pm

whatever wrote:If Ranma 1/2 anime is revived again, I would like it to be start from the beginning(and keep the specials) since It would be really nice to see the series (especially combat scenes) in a more modern style of animation and graphics.

As much as I loved the original anime, I think it should have been a lot more faithful to the plotline of the manga, I would have really like it to see characters like Herb, Rouge and Saffron making and appereance on it since those were ones of my favorite arcs.

Ranma's mom arc should be follow and be conclude, it was really odd to end the anime series like that.

Those are some of the things I can think at the top of my head right now, I would mention others later.

Just to point out Whatever, the anime didn't skip Herb, Rouge and Saffron on purpose- they went out of business years before RT even conceived of those arcs. As a matter of fact, one of the OAVs was decided by a vote, and one of the options was the Herb arc... people picked the Ryugenzawa arc instead.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:38 pm

I would have liked to see some sort of continuity starting from where the first anime stopped, not going too much with the anime. To me it would almost be good for it to have a slightly more serious tone than the older series, sort of like they did with Naruto/Naruto Shipuuden, since the manga does seem to become progressively more serious where the manga goes off. If they were going to add fillers, I would probably like to see episodes based on many of the manga-only charachters, especially ones that are not yet introduced into the anime (Ryu, for example).

I thought doing a continuity instead of an all out redo would be more appropriate since, as you mentioned, the biggest difference from the anime and manga is simply the fact that the manga just went on longer than the anime.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 pm

After some thought, I've personally started thinking that a complete revision might be best, seeing as how -as was pointed out- the new technologies and the like would make the new episodes/seasons jarringly different in style to the older ones. Plus it would be more helpful for those who haven't seen the older edition.

If they did went that route, however, I personally would hope they'd take some inspiration from the previous anime- one of the reasons I like the R 1/2 anime so much is that it actually makes Ukyo, Shampoo and Kodachi seem more human, rather than all but villifying them like the manga did.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lenneth » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:13 am

Would like to see them start overt again and perhaps get the animation team from GITS SAC in on it.
Lenneth
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Specials are non-disruptive to the general storyline of the anime, so keeping them wouldn't really bother me.

I'd say continue the series where it was left off, and try to remain with the same drawing style, and voices as much as possible.

Ranma with updated graphics would seem just 'weird' to me...
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Reika » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:05 pm

on the same continuation, saint seiya hades chapter was made in anime with the "new" techs for animes without remaking all the serie from the start (and if you look the manga, they heroes are way more powerfull than in the anime, since there is waaay more time in between battles in the anime than in the manga)

so IF the ranma anime was to show up on screen again, I'd say : continuation without the anime specials
Reika
Senshi Candidate

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

I think a new anime series from the beginning would be best, a bit more loyal to the manga, and with less exaggerated characterizations than the original anime. They could drop some of the shorter, smaller manga arcs that don't have re-occurring characters or reveal key things about the lead characters, like the arc with the guy with the octopus mask who'd made a bet with Ukyo in the past, while it shows some interesting stuff about Ukyo, it isn't stuff that can't be shown elsewhere, and that guy only appears in that arc, while on the other hand they would show Konatsu as he shows up again later.

Also I'd like it if either Dr. Tofu continued to appear on occasion, or it actually had him leave, and for some time to actually seem to pass, to try and work the arcs into a time line and have school years pass by.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Personally, I've never seen the anime as exaggerating characters- Ryoga doesn't use his fanon catchphrase any more than he does in the manga (one time; when he first finds Ranma at Furinkan), for example. Hell, one could say that it actually softens the characters- Shampoo and Kodachi are much nicer in the anime than they are in the manga.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby dogbertcarroll » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Start at the beginning and figure out how everything is suppose to fit together so we don't have huge continuity errors, like the guide taking them to the Amazon Village because he didn't know how to cure the curse until the author decided spring of drowned man would work and suddenly everyone knew it.

Of course I'd also like to see them have relationships form and break off between all the members of the NWC just like you'd normally see in a group of teens while they all tried to avoid any plots by the adults to tie them down to a future they aren't prepared for.

Screw the anime and manga, I like new material.
--------------------
I was given the choice between sanity and creativity.

I chose waffles.

-dogbertcarroll

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/284419/
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/a ... rroll.html
dogbertcarroll
Senshi Cadet

No do overs, kinda.

Postby borgrabbit » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 am

I voted to keep what had gone before but suggest a "recap" first episode that pretty much runs through the first episode and highlights in an extended way, the events of season seven and prior. Starting over would, likely, never get to the Ranma's mom, Kumon, Rouge, Herb, or Saffron arcs, which to me have great character growth potential as well as cool battles.
Ciao,
Wes
Old fart.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Today's cliche is next century's classic.
borgrabbit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma