Ryoga the male Akane?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ryoga the male Akane?

Postby WG_Writer » Tue May 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Ok, I know i will get flamed for this but please hear me out first.
This was done in a fan fic recently, but that fic is unrelated to this post as I only thought of it after the fact.
First lets strip away one thing from Ryoga and Readdress this.
Remove the Jusenkyo curse.
obviously Ryoga is a guy and Akane is a girl, so lets also ignore this difference.
Sames:
1. Both tend to jump to conclusions and usually blame Ranma
2. Both are monsterously strong (See Akane's escape from the jail in Jusendo)
3. Both can wield weapons, and prefer to do so rather then hand to hand
4. Both are easily embarased (see same #1)
5. Both seem to be professent with specific weapons, and seem to have a hard time changing their styles. Akane has shown great marksmanship after her escape from Jusendo when she used a bow and arrow, despite innosent injuries Ryoga has good aim with his bandanas. Both can use Melee weapons well enough, Ryoga's umbrella, Akana's Mallet, and her Bokken (uses it rarely but does have one that she can use)
6. Both share the inability to see the obvious.
7. Both tend to act more like berserkers when they get going, and rarely listen to anyone. (battle dougi, super stregnth soba, etc... for Akane, Ryoga needs no examples)
8. Both are easily offended by someone offering to help with their faults.
9. Both are very short tempered
10. Both are loyal to their friends.
11. Both can get lost easily (In akane's defence the est example was Ryuzengawa, and she was too young back then, but she does get kidnaped to strange places a lot)
comments? points? counter points?
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Anchoku » Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 pm

Although I believe Takahashi-san never intended to make Ryouga a male version of Akane, I agree there are many parallels.
Personally, I doubt Takahasi-san created Ryouga specifically to be Ranma's male romantic interest although, I suspect she uses him as a male foil to facilitate the story telling.
Ranma has a number of romantic love interests for both his male side and her female side. Ryouga is often used to portray the difference between Ranma's two sides
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cinnamon » Tue May 23, 2006 10:27 pm

You know... a lot of those parallels can be applied to other characters in the series, too... misunderstandings and leaping to wildly inaccurate conclusions are the backbones of slapstick comedy.
That said, the observation is an interesting one, and there are certainly a lot of similarities between Ryouga and Akane, specifically in the arena of temperament.
I, however, propose a counter theory.
Ranma and Akane look a lot alike - at least Ranma in his male form bears a more than superficial resemblence to Akane.
Akane and Ryouga act a lot alike.
So.
Obviously, they're all half siblings. That Soun fella sure gets around. He must have been a lot more Bishy a decade and a half or so ago.
-jaime[/b]
Cinnamon
Initiate

Postby Shadow Wolf » Tue May 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Cinnamon wrote:You know... a lot of those parallels can be applied to other characters in the series, too... misunderstandings and leaping to wildly inaccurate conclusions are the backbones of slapstick comedy.
That said, the observation is an interesting one, and there are certainly a lot of similarities between Ryouga and Akane, specifically in the arena of temperament.
I, however, propose a counter theory.
Ranma and Akane look a lot alike - at least Ranma in his male form bears a more than superficial resemblence to Akane.
Akane and Ryouga act a lot alike.
So.
Obviously, they're all half siblings. That Soun fella sure gets around. He must have been a lot more Bishy a decade and a half or so ago.
-jaime[/b]

Heh. There was a spamfic or one-shot I read somewhere where Genma starts telling Ranma about the birds and the bees, by reminiscing of the women he'd slept with when he was younger - Ukyo's mother, and Shampoo's mother, and even Mrs. Tendo (Soun was out of town, and Kimiko was lonely...)
Genma is completely oblivious to what this means, but Ranma is listening with growing horror, but when he recounts to his mom that all of his fiancees are his siblings, she replies that they aren't - that Genma wasn't manly enough for her choose as the father of her child, and that she'd conceived Ranma by the "manliest" man around - at which point Happosai enters the seen with his usual cry, and Nodoka acts rather - friendly - towards him....
Given Nodoka's ideas about "manliness", it does seem to fit. But poor, poor Ranma!
Shadow Wolf
Senshi Candidate

Postby A.Nonymous » Wed May 24, 2006 12:33 am

There was a story where Mr. Habiki was a "Traveling Man" and had fathered everyone with even the remotest martial arts ability in the eastern world...
A.Nonymous
Senshi Cadet

Postby Acey » Wed May 24, 2006 5:24 pm

A.Nonymous wrote:There was a story where Mr. Habiki was a "Traveling Man" and had fathered everyone with even the remotest martial arts ability in the eastern world...

IIRC, I think that fic is called the Tales of Ranma and Ranko.
Shadow wrote:Heh. There was a spamfic or one-shot I read somewhere where Genma starts telling Ranma about the birds and the bees, by reminiscing of the women he'd slept with when he was younger - Ukyo's mother, and Shampoo's mother, and even Mrs. Tendo (Soun was out of town, and Kimiko was lonely...)
Genma is completely oblivious to what this means, but Ranma is listening with growing horror, but when he recounts to his mom that all of his fiancees are his siblings, she replies that they aren't - that Genma wasn't manly enough for her choose as the father of her child, and that she'd conceived Ranma by the "manliest" man around - at which point Happosai enters the seen with his usual cry, and Nodoka acts rather - friendly - towards him....
Given Nodoka's ideas about "manliness", it does seem to fit. But poor, poor Ranma!

Heh, that sounds funny ^^ You remember the name of that fic, Shadow? It sounds likes it's probably a short fic though.
Acey
Moon Queen Emeritus

Postby Frog » Wed May 24, 2006 9:05 pm

It reminds me of another short by Jack Staik and Lady Tesser. It was called "Oh, no"
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/superhi ... k/ohno.txt
Is this the one that you were thinking about, Shadow Wolf?
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Shadow Wolf » Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 pm

Acey wrote:Heh, that sounds funny ^^ You remember the name of that fic, Shadow? It sounds likes it's probably a short fic though.

Unfortunately, no. It wasn't the one Frog came up with either.
Shadow Wolf
Senshi Candidate

Postby Deric » Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 am

A.Nonymous wrote:
There was a story where Mr. Hibiki was a "Traveling Man" and had fathered everyone with even the remotest martial arts ability in the eastern world...

Jack Staik and Lady Tesser's Tales of Ranma and Ranko is the one where Ryoga's father was 'pollinator' for Taro, Ryoga, Ranma, and a few others - Japanese and Amazon.
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/superhighway/Staik/staik.html
Some people work to achieve peace and harmony.
I'm not one of them.
Deric
Senshi Candidate

Postby TerraEpon » Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

In fics by Jim Robert Bader, as well as some influenced by him, Ranma and Ryoga are half brothers (through Genma).
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu May 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Cinnamon wrote:Ranma and Akane look a lot alike - at least Ranma in his male form bears a more than superficial resemblence to Akane.

Really. To my eye the one Ranma looks the most like is his mother. It's more pronounced while he's in female form but there's still a distinct familal resembelance.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Darth Thanatos » Sat May 27, 2006 5:18 am

A.Nonymous wrote:There was a story where Mr. Habiki was a "Traveling Man" and had fathered everyone with even the remotest martial arts ability in the eastern world...

Hmpf... And I thought you were talking about this one.
Ne volnuites, Aeria Gloris

Midboss rank Z, promoted by "Ice Cream Thief" Himitsu on 2007-03-21
Darth Thanatos
"I am still a powerpuff girl!"

Postby Matrias » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:40 am

Oooh. This is an extremely interesting. I never really noticed Ryoga and Akane's parrarels before. Right down to my favorite character flaws.
I think I like Ryoga more now. I'll have to make a note of all this.
2. Both are monsterously strong (See Akane's escape from the jail in Jusendo)

I thought the jail bars slid open because they guys forgot to lock them? I'll have to go re-read it.
A better example of Akane's strength would be when Ranma was burning with fever, and she easily grabbed the fridge over her head and pranced up the stairs with it.
Akana's Mallet, and her Bokken (uses it rarely but does have one that she can use)

Please don't list the mallet as a serious weapon. It's a running gag used by all the cast, and that's all it should be. And she doesn't use a bokken, she uses a shinai, which is a bamboo practice stick.
She does have some serious weapon training, I'll give you that. She held her own against Kuno in kendo, and seems to have been trained in kyudo (archery) as well. Given the way Soun arms himself sometimes, it's easy to see that the Tendo Ryu does indeed have some focus on weapons.
Matrias
Senshi Candidate

Postby DBHay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:52 am

The story of Genma fathering most of the cast seemed familar and I finally remembered where I'd read it.
http://dhp.com/~yotsuya/kanomi/genma.txt
A number of other well done lemons there as well. :lol:
DBHay
Senshi Candidate

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 pm

Something to add on this, I think Ryoga and Akane do have some similarities, specifically concering their similar love/hate relation with Ranma, but I think there is one major difference between them.

Ryoga frankly has led a much harsher lifestyle than Akane did, and as a result has quite a bit less of a sense of entitlement. For example, with beating Ranma, Akane usually will be more likely to resort to power-ups as a way to even herself out. It is true that Ryoga may use them, but at least specifically stated during the Mark of the Gods that he wants to be able to defeat Ranma using his own skill above anything.

Although, a negative result to this is that Ryoga is a far gloomier outlook on life than Akane generally has.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma