Cliches & Tropes of Ranma fanon

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Seed00 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Southern Cross wrote:And how about the old Akane is secretly a lesbian trope?
How many people seriously believe that bit of fanon?

Jim Robert Bader for one, TO THE EXTREME
Seed00
Senshi Cadet

Re: Ranma

Postby Drawde » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Necavit wrote:All evidence points that Ranma has no trouble stealing if he isnt confronted about it.

He only offers to repay if confronted, such with the guy he stepped on or with Shampoo.

He's only shown stealing food. And he didn't like that the senkens were about stealing as well.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Ranma

Postby Necavit » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 am

But has he ever offered to repay on his own, without being confronted?

All I am trying to prove is that Ranma has no problem stealing when it suits him. And that he would not have tried to work out a deal with Shampoo if not confornted.
Necavit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:08 am

nodregah wrote:One little thing that is being overlooked. Shampoo traveled to a foreign country to kill one of its citizens. While she may or may not be law enforcement for her village is a moot point. There are laws set up for extradition and yes, even Japan follows them. Also, countries do not like extraditing their citizens for execution. She is in Japan to commit an illegal act and therefore is clearly in the wrong. To get the so called justice that she, and her laws advocate, shed would have to wait until Ranma has left the protection of Japanese boarders. Even then, a Japanese citizen killed by a Chinese citizen over food and arcane laws would cause one hell of a diplomatic uproar. China's Communist government, to kill bad press, would act. Remember, martial arts are great, just not against planes and bombs. Also, China is a nuclear state and can "test" any weapon they want in their own boarders.

The kiss of death has nothing to do with any law Ranma may or may not have broken. Even if Ranma had not eaten some of Shampoo's prize, and defeated her, Shampoo would have still given Ranma the kiss of death. I don't think any country would extradite one of it's citizens to be killed because the citizen was a better martial artist.

The kiss of mariage happened because Shampoo started attacking people seemingly at random in a place where she should have realized there would be people who could defeat her.

What Shampoo does is not legal anywhere, but her village, and even then it is questionable. It is more about her honor and pride. People say Ranma has a problem with being overly prideful, but Shampoo will kill you if you are better then her.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Re: Ranma

Postby Zwzn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 am

Necavit wrote:But has he ever offered to repay on his own, without being confronted?

All I am trying to prove is that Ranma has no problem stealing when it suits him. And that he would not have tried to work out a deal with Shampoo if not confornted.

What do you mean by confronted?

Ranma was in the prossess of finding out what he had done wrong when Shampoo tried to smash him like a bug. It looked like he was going to at least talk about what he should do with the guide.

In the arc with the guy who Ranma stepped on, and ate his picnic it seemed like Ranma wanted to try to repay the guy for the food. I don't recall the guy trying to get Ranma to pay him back.

Personally I would like to think Ranma feeling guilty about stealing is a bit of character growth. It seems to me at least like every theft takes place some time before the series starts. Maybe I'm missing something?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Zwzn wrote:The kiss of death has nothing to do with any law Ranma may or may not have broken. Even if Ranma had not eaten some of Shampoo's prize, and defeated her, Shampoo would have still given Ranma the kiss of death.
So you're claiming she would have done it arbitrarily just because he walked by now?

No crime leads to no challenge, and no humiliating defeat leads to no opportunity for invoking Kiss of Death law. At the very least you should constrain that as Genma would insure it happened anyway as Ranma would have likely handed her a humiliating defeat regardless, instead of claiming it's arbitrary.

Zwzn wrote:What Shampoo does is not legal anywhere, but her village, and even then it is questionable. It is more about her honor and pride. People say Ranma has a problem with being overly prideful, but Shampoo will kill you if you are better then her.
Anyone remember what the full hit list would be? I know that it officially includes:
Hinako
Akane
Ranma-chan

All of whom are not only not dead, but not harassed by Shampoo except for the relatively brief response to the initial insult. Pink & Link get thrashed everytime she sees them, but that's not killed and I'm not sure the Kiss was even invoked. So why are we claiming a person who clearly is full of it, is dead serious? This why I think the gut check interpretation is the best, because otherwise she's just a outright weatherman.
FOG3

Postby Zwzn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:22 pm

FOG3 wrote:
Zwzn wrote:The kiss of death has nothing to do with any law Ranma may or may not have broken. Even if Ranma had not eaten some of Shampoo's prize, and defeated her, Shampoo would have still given Ranma the kiss of death.

FOG3 wrote:So you're claiming she would have done it arbitrarily just because he walked by now?

No, I'm claiming the kiss of death is given when a female outsider of Shampoo's village defeats a female warrior of Shampoo's village. The outsider laws are not laws an outsider has to follow, and do not apply to theft.

FOG3 wrote:No crime leads to no challenge, and no humiliating defeat leads to no opportunity for invoking Kiss of Death law. At the very least you should constrain that as Genma would insure it happened anyway as Ranma would have likely handed her a humiliating defeat regardless, instead of claiming it's arbitrary.

Your right if Ranma and Genma had not eaten some of the prize Shampoo would not have challenged Ranma.

There are many ways Ranma could have ended up defeating Shampoo.

The kiss of death was given to Ranma in female form because he defeated Shampoo in a fight, and not because he ate some of the prize. The fight could have happened for any number of reasons.

Zwzn wrote:What Shampoo does is not legal anywhere, but her village, and even then it is questionable. It is more about her honor and pride. People say Ranma has a problem with being overly prideful, but Shampoo will kill you if you are better then her.

FOG3 wrote:Anyone remember what the full hit list would be? I know that it officially includes:
Hinako
Akane
Ranma-chan

All of whom are not only not dead, but not harassed by Shampoo except for the relatively brief response to the initial insult. Pink & Link get thrashed everytime she sees them, but that's not killed and I'm not sure the Kiss was even invoked. So why are we claiming a person who clearly is full of it, is dead serious? This why I think the gut check interpretation is the best, because otherwise she's just a outright weatherman.

The kiss of death as it is explained is basicly to redeem pride and honor of the defeated amazon. Shampoo is catty and a poor looser.

Akane as of the time she was given the kiss of death had done nothing to be worthy of it, but there have been two atempts to kill her by Shampoo. It seems pretty clear Shampoo realizes that if Ranma knows she killed Akane she will not get what she wants.

Shampoo spent weeks at least trying to kill Ranma's female, and only stopped bedcause she found out Ranma turned into a guy who she gave the kiss of mariage to.

Shampoo as I recall at least planned to kill Hinako, and both have a lot of off screen time.

Shampoo should have given Pink or Link(which ever one poisoned her, and therefore defeated her) the kiss of death unless Shampoo was not a warrior yet.

It seems pretty clear Shampoo realized that if Ranma knows she killed someone she will not get what she wants unless she has a pretty bleeping good reason in Ranma's eyes.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Re: Cliches & Tropes of Ranma fanon

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 pm

These two may have been listed already, but just in case they haven't...

#1: Akane gets abducted all the time
This is actually true to the series, manga and anime alike, in the most literal sense- that is, Akane being forced to accompany someone against her will. It's not more common in the anime than in the manga- well, alright, it happens one more time, if you consider Toma's decision to kidnap every woman on the neighbouring island (where Akane just happens to be) to add them to the harem he's already assembled to "count". In both canons, we have... Cologne tieing up Akane like a prize in the Breaking Point story, Mousse attempting to kidnap her and use her as a hostage twice (succeeding on the second time) in his return story, Principal Kuno stealing her away and using her as a hostage in his debut story, Ryoga carries her off despite her protests in the Waterproof Soap story, and Taro kidnapping her as a ransom for Happosai in his first story. In the anime, the Frog Hermit kidnaps her in his episode, and Prince Kirin mistakes her for his bride and takes her to Nekonron despite her protests. In the manga, as far as I know, Lime forcibly drags Akane off to his rendevous with Herb, where he's told to leave her behind, and Kiima kidnaps Akane so that she can take her place. And there might be other abductions in the manga or common to both that I'm not aware of.

#2: Akane is a Damsel in Distress
This, however, is wrong. While it's true that Akane does get kidnapped by people a lot, she is not some sort of hostage. Upon regaining her wits, her immediate action is always to try and save herself- breaking loose of her bindings and running away from Taro, knocking over the tank so that Mousse can't splash her with Jusenkyo Duck Water, busting out of her cell aboard Kirin's sky-boat and in the Phoenix People's prison, etcetera. When her attempts to escape fail and she does go docile afterward, that's usually because either her kidnapper has revealed something that makes her sympathetic (Taro, Toma) or Ranma has pissed her off (Kirin).
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Cliches & Tropes of Ranma fanon

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:10 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:And there might be other abductions in the manga or common to both that I'm not aware of.

Cologne stashes her away, along with Mousse, in the story with the reversal jewel. That's the only other one I can think of, off the top of my head.

I'd try to add some tropes and cliches, but... it'd be a pain to find out what all's been mentioned already. ;/ Too bad the first post wasn't used to list them as they were posted.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma