General Questions mk 2

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: General Questions mk 2

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:02 pm

A lot of authors illustrate Nabiki as not being a morning person, but is that canon or fanon? I don't recall that being the case in the manga, so is there anything in the anime to draw from? If so, has it happened more than once? (Because that one time could just be an off-day, or a morning after a late night, and such.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Only time I recall anything about Nabiki and mornings in the anime is episode two. At the beginning, Nabiki walks down to the living room, still in her pajamas, yawns, and then notes in her usual dry sort of tone that Ranma and Genma certainly are full of pep at this time of the day.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 pm

I just thought of something that I can't confirm. Out of the things that Akane has trouble doing (like cooking and swimming), was house cleaning among them? For some reason I'm thinking of an episode where Akane was cleaning the wood floor and she was wiping/scrubbing away the varnish in the process. Did that happen, or could it have been a random memory from some fan-fic I once read?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Perhaps in the manga, never in the anime. As far as I recall, outside of cooking and sewing, Akane does alright when needing to do housework, save the one time after the first ambush from Kodachi where she got mad while vacuuming up the black rose petals and pushed down so hard she broke the end of the vacuum nozzle off.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:A lot of authors illustrate Nabiki as not being a morning person, but is that canon or fanon? I don't recall that being the case in the manga, so is there anything in the anime to draw from? If so, has it happened more than once? (Because that one time could just be an off-day, or a morning after a late night, and such.)

She was shown to get to school before Akane, but then so did everyone else.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:A lot of authors illustrate Nabiki as not being a morning person, but is that canon or fanon? I don't recall that being the case in the manga, so is there anything in the anime to draw from? If so, has it happened more than once? (Because that one time could just be an off-day, or a morning after a late night, and such.)

The first morning in the manga, she's already up and going to school before Ranma is even told that he's going. Outside of the second episode of the anime and maybe some other stuff that they threw in, there's nothing to suggest in the manga that she has problems in the morning. This came up in a thread in the C&C section.

I don't remember Akane doing much if any cleaning. But considering her other attempts at more.. domestic activities, her causing problems while doing them should be expected.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 am

"The Art." I hear that a lot in fan-fiction stories, and for some reason it irks me. There's just something about it... Anyway, I need to know something. Is "The Art" ever uttered by anyone, in the manga or anime? Especially often enough to warrant its widespread use in fan-fiction? Because it just sounds wrong, to me. I expect "martial arts," instead. Or something specific, like "tai chi" or "judo."
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm

In the dubbed anime, Genma uses "The Art" to refer to martial arts in an effort to convey how important he/Ranma thinks it is at least once. When he throws Ranma into the koi pond in episode one to show the curse to the Tendos, he proclaims "were you not willing to lay down your life for the sake of the art?" (somewhat, I'm paraphrasing). I don't recall off the top of my head if he ever refers to martial arts as the art again... maybe in the eighteenth episode of season one... but, hey, that's about the only time/place he declared that Ranma "sounded like a girl" for arguing with him, and that's just as common a reference in fan fiction.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Are there any examples of Ranma being possessed during the series?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

If you don't count the Nekoken... never, so far as I am aware, in the manga, though as I haven't read the story with the Mirror Ghost that looked like his female form, I don't know if she could exert control over him. In the anime, once, with the "Demon Onna-Ranma" that Happosai set loose once. The Shadow Ranma couldn't control Ranma, but was supposedly acting out his repressed desires and darker drives - raiding the fridge, peeping on Akane and burning Happosai's collection.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am

How exactly does the cat's tongue pressure point work? The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

Going by the explanations given it only makes the body very sensible to hot water, but nowhere is there any indication that it prevents Ranma from changing back. Ranma jumped into the hot water but didn't change back. I can't understand why because even if it was incredibly hot to him he was still doused by hot water..
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:53 am

I've tried making sense of that before and just plain gave up. The only rationalization I can think of is that warm water feels so hot that dousing himself with cold water brings relief, so when he felt scalded he immediately splashed himself with cold water.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Drawde » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:I've tried making sense of that before and just plain gave up. The only rationalization I can think of is that warm water feels so hot that dousing himself with cold water brings relief, so when he felt scalded he immediately splashed himself with cold water.

That's pretty much what I assumed. Also this is a comedy series. Watching Ranma rolling around on the ground while screaming as if he'd just had boiling water poured on him wouldn't be funny, so it was never shown.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Dumbledork wrote:How exactly does the cat's tongue pressure point work? The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

Going by the explanations given it only makes the body very sensible to hot water, but nowhere is there any indication that it prevents Ranma from changing back. Ranma jumped into the hot water but didn't change back. I can't understand why because even if it was incredibly hot to him he was still doused by hot water..

From what I remember (as I don't have the manga in front of me) the cat's tongue just makes his body sensitive (more like super sensitive) to hot water but doesn't prevent him from changing. However, because his body is so sensitive water that is just warm enough to change him back feels like it's boiling. As Mondu haas stated:

I've tried making sense of that before and just plain gave up. The only rationalization I can think of is that warm water feels so hot that dousing himself with cold water brings relief, so when he felt scalded he immediately splashed himself with cold water.

which we know to be true as we've seen Ranma a couple of times after splashing himself (or after Akane splashes him) with cold water to relieve himself of the pain (and Drawdes' right in why we never see Ranma splashed with hot water in this arc). We can also infer that any water that felt, to Ranma, warm enough to change him back actually wouldn't be warm enough to do so.

Another thought (that I have just had) is that we don't know what, exactly Cologne means by 'sensitive'. While it's probable that the water just feels painfully hot to Ranma, it's also possible that his body reacts to warm water the way it would react to hot water (ie, actually scalding or burning) in a way similar to how someone with allergies reacts to their allergens (I, personally get hives when wearing cotton, touch grass or fir trees, and my sinuses fill up around dust, pollen, and cat danderand someone I know 's throat swells shut whenever they eat seafood) . With Ranma 1/2 being a black and white comedy series we can't tell (well not very well at any rate) how his body reacts to the water (ie does his skin turn red) especially as it's never shown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 am

There's just one hitch concerning this: given time, the hot or warm water won't be hot or warm anymore. So long as the water that's present is no more than a sheen on the skin, it's going to cool down fairly quickly.

The thing is, Cologne's intention was to have Ranma stuck in his cursed form, in order to use it as leverage to get him together with Shampoo. Logically, the only way to accomplish that would be in the case that cold water was required for getting rid of the pain. Hot water turns the pain on, and cold water turns it off; not unlike how the curses themselves operate. That way he has no choice but to be a girl, and Cologne holds the advantage that she desires.

It's a theory, of course. But I think it's more likely than simple sensitivity to water that's presently in contact, because then there would be the real possibility that Ranma could have stayed a guy. Just think about it: only a cup of hot water would be needed, and a person (or people, perhaps to hold him down) to dry Ranma off right after application. If Shampoo can wash and dry Akane's hair in under a minute, toweling away a cup's worth of water would only take a matter of a few seconds. That cold water is always turned to as a remedy may have just been a convenient, "duh," moment, where none of the characters really bother to think about it, or it really is the remedy for the pain. Considering how long Ranma probably spent trying to get through the pain, and his determination to be a guy again, the latter choice seems the more realistic of the two possibilities, since I'd find it unbelievable for him to be unable to stay a guy when a cup's worth of water and its temperature can be negated in just a few seconds.

I figure it wouldn't hurt to throw that out there. *Shrugs*
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma