General Questions mk 2

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: General Questions mk 2

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:49 pm

I think the intense pain forces his powerful reflexes to act, so he dodges or otherwise avoids the hot water before contact with it has the chance to activate the curse. For someone else the cat tongue point maybe would not be enough. For Ranma with his speed and reaction... His very training works against him.

The curse triggering is not instantaneous, it takes a hefty fraction of a second to activate.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Cheb wrote:The curse triggering is not instantaneous, it takes a hefty fraction of a second to activate.

It fluctuates quite wildly but appears to take more than a couple seconds. So it's likely that Ranma feels as though he just touched a piece of white hot metal after coming into contact with water hot enough to initiate the change. A conscious choice to endure it being beyond Ranma's or anyone else's capability.

For example, from the second chapter where they were both up to their necks submerged and still have yet to change.
http://www.maxmangas.net/online_manga/4 ... ?t=38&n=35

But in that same chapter not even a full kettle of water is able to do it quite quickly.
http://www.maxmangas.net/online_manga/4 ... ?t=38&n=45
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 am

Lawra, I do note that the furo scene shows their heads not doused with the hot water while the second scene has Soun pouring the hot water directly over Genma's head...
Maybe there's some unwritten rule that says the water has to envelope the subject's head versus any other part of the body to work?
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am

Ranma-chan's hair color is a matter of disputation in the manga. If it were drawn black (as I think it was) then American colorists, especially in the first issue, would leave it black. So that could easily be Ranma-chan in the furo with Genma-panda. Anime hair is red, yes, but manga Ranma-chan's hair color on the color covers was all over the place.

One of the best minor things from Thrythlind's Ryoko Saotome was that Ranma-chan's hair color was unpredictable. Pink wasn't bad - it just made hir look like an Utena otaku, and Utena had swordfighting. But blonde was awful.

Depends on which canon you're shooting, I guess.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Konsaki wrote:Lawra, I do note that the furo scene shows their heads not doused with the hot water while the second scene has Soun pouring the hot water directly over Genma's head...
Maybe there's some unwritten rule that says the water has to envelope the subject's head versus any other part of the body to work?

That's what I always assumed. You never see any of the cursed individuals changing by simply putting their hand in the water. It's always either dumping it over their head or jumping into the water. So a certain amount of the body submurged might work too, though jumping in would likely get the head.

It would have been much easier for Ranma and Genma to hide from Nodoka during a couple of her arcs if they could have simply dipped their hands in the fishpond instead of having to explain why they were playing in it.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Then again, both Genma and Ranma have been shown repeatedly to overreact when panicked, especially by Nadoka. Possibilities include that the more exposure to water, the faster the curse takes effect; That the head needs to get wet for it to work, as I don't recall any times when Ranma's head stayed dry while changing(it can be implied that they dunk their heads or splash water on themselves while in the furo/onsen); That there is a certain minimum exposure to water required, so they could hold their hands under a steady stream of hot water for a minute or take a quick splash over their upper body; That the curse always takes the same amount of time to activate and the reason they dive into the pool is so that even if she sees them she will not be able to make out who it is before they change.

I could buy that the fur/feathers of the cursed individuals keeps the water from reaching their skin for a moment, except that Ranma seems to take the same amount of time to change.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 pm

There's an obvious discrepancy in the amount of water and how long it takes for someone to change. In part I think it's due to a combination of gags (the kettles and pails) and convenience (bodies of water, like the furo and the koi pond), and Takahashi not caring enough about the particulars to make the conditions too inflexible for various situations.

Of the examples that I can think of, I've seen a cup of water to the face (when Ranma was interrogating Taro) to be enough to change them, but not in the same panel, as the water is still splashing against their face. Another time is when Akane splashed Ranma with water from a watering can (right before Cologne showed up), and the change is in the same panel, as the water's still splashing against him. Just between those two, you could draw a conclusion that the amount of water was the difference, except that there are examples that proves otherwise: such as the time when Akane splashed Ranma with a pail of water because he was drunk and dragging her about toward an imaginary finish line. The amount of water was similar to that of the watering can, yet the change isn't shown in the same panel, when he's being splashed.

In the end, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who follows any particular conditions for activating the curse, since I don't think that it really matters, all things considered. Not even that the change can be activated by simply exposing the hand to water, since I don't recall an instance where any one of the Jusenkyo cursed only got their hands wet and changed, or didn't change.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:27 am

You know that sign that's hung in the dojo, written in hiragana? I can't remember what it said, or what it means, and I was wondering if someone could tell me. I looked at a few spots in the manga, but it was either not shown or it was blank. I don't want to look in the anime because I'm not sure which episode it's shown in and it could take a very long time of watching to come across it.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:00 am

it reads "iroha": いろは

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroha

* The word いろは (iroha) can also be used to mean "ABC's" or "The basics" in Japanese.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 am

F_Forward Gone Nuts wrote:Second-ever post on this site, but here goes...

I've long wondered how Ranma would fare against various Batman villains, if said villains brought their various toys into the mix. One particular scenario refuses to leave my mind - Professor Jonathan Crane, alias the Scarecrow, possessed two particularly nasty little tricks during the Silver Age:

The first was a "fear-pheromone", delivered by dart. Those that get struck by it begin emitting an incredibly powerful pheromone that makes everyone else within a given radius absolutely terrified of them. When Batman got struck with the dart, Alfred - his oldest and closest friend - couldn't even bear to be in the same room as him. His mere presence at a roller rink sparked a massive riot.

The second was a fear-removal drug, also delivered by dart (and probably more well-known due to being in an episode of the 90s cartoon). It's a pretty damn effective (though not totally foolproof) suppressor of fear and common sense, making its victims take all manner of stupid, life-threatening risks at the slightest provocation. See its effects for yourself:

What sort of effects (if any, especially where the second one is concerned) would these devices have on the NWC, assuming that they connect? Also, what would the NWC envision if they were just given a dose of "vanilla" fear-gas?

The Scarecrow gets killed if he tries anything on Ranma.

Remove Ranma fear, and Ranma no long has any reason not to kill.

Cause Ranma to face his greatest fear, and you either have Ranma master then Neko-ken, or a mad cat that will slash him to ribbons

The Mad doctor kills himself because he can't escape the fear pheromone.

It would be more fun to see the Joker try and fail to kill Ranma.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 am

Zwzn wrote:The Scarecrow gets killed if he tries anything on Ranma.

Remove Ranma fear, and Ranma no long has any reason not to kill.

Cause Ranma to face his greatest fear, and you either have Ranma master then Neko-ken, or a mad cat that will slash him to ribbons

The Mad doctor kills himself because he can't escape the fear pheromone.

It would be more fun to see the Joker try and fail to kill Ranma.

F_Forward Gone Nuts wrote:Eh. In the comic, the fear-removal toxin did make people suicidally reckless, but it didn't turn them into homicidal maniacs. If Scarecrow doesn't pick an actual fight with Ranma, Ranma would have no reason to kill him.
I'm only familair with the animated series, and in that Batman scared the Scarecrow by at least thinking out loud about killing him while under the anti-fear drug's effects. If you don't fear the consequences of your actions you will do whatever you want, and someone who normally would not kill will.

F_Forward Gone Nuts wrote:But I agree that the standard fear-gas will probably get Scarecrow Neko Ken'd. A fancier version might instead conjure up a dream sequence where Akane is suddenly stronger and better than Ranma at everything, and pretty much everyone is calling Ranma a massive failure. That sounds like Ranma's worst nightmare.

Still, what do you think the other cast members' worst fears might be? Mousse's might be either Ranma & Shampoo's wedding or seeing Shampoo die horribly (perhaps at his own hands). Kuno's would pretty much be the same, with Akane/The Pigtailed Girl in Shampoo's place. Or maybe hallucinating that Ranma and The Pigtailed Girl are one and the same.
Ranma repeatedly has nightmares about being stuck a girl, and having kids

F_Forward Gone Nuts wrote:And yes, five minutes in Nerima would probably have Joker going:

Happosai rapped Ranma in chains, sealed him in concrete, and buried Ranma alive, and Ranma found this to simply be annoying. :lol:
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am

I don't know what the Japanese text says in either case, but I'm pretty sure that the context points toward her vanity and having regret over looking in her mirror instead of not even tried to get a boyfriend. I mean, there's more reason given for that and no explanation at all for why a guy wouldn't even visit. It's also evident in how little she knows about attracting men, meaning she hadn't been social with them before.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma